Thanks to Greywolf... I just had to kill something.

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Thanks to Greywolf... I just had to kill something.

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:59 am

Well... we still have the ole spot going from the "let the hunt begin" thread. There has been a little action there but the new generation is proving to be tricky to fool. They have been taught well to come down the hill and position themselves directly downwind of me no matter what the wind direction is! They find the direction and just sit there in the thick cover with their noses up in the air. I have been watching and getting busted by this same group of small Hogs for long enough to watch them grow in size to what I hopefully considered big enough to shoot.
Last time I had a chance at the biggest of the group. He was the only one to come in close enough for a shot and he just kept offering me a the perfect shot. I pulled back, found the spot and... eased off to phone a life line. :rolf: I called Greywolf because he is the butcher. "Hey, I got a twenty five pounder right in front of me, should I shoot it?" "Ahhhh, no, I would wait til dark, it might be a decoy" was the reply. So I let the lucky pig walk.
Greywolf is not a fan of shooting small Hogs. This I now know because I called him again with the same question this afternoon. This time he reluctlantly said..."well ahhh, I'll be home if you wanna shoot it" :roll: So I let an arrow fly...crooked, :rolf: not a great shot by any stretch of the imagination but it hit home and resulted in a dead hog not 15 yds from where I shot it. I was happy because I needed meat and I just had an itchy trigger finger. It was time to kill something. So thanks for giving me another Hog Butchering 101 lesson Mark, you truely are the Master. I learn something new every time I am around you and I promise this will be the smallest Hog you ever see me kill.
Oh, on a side note, for those that followed the "let the hunt begin" thread... The Rat is back!! I have seen him lately every time I have gone... except for tonight. Wierd huh?
This picture was taken the first time I ever saw this group of Pigs when they were just babies. The ehu (red) one is turning into a nice looking Boar. I always let him walk... hopefully he will live to be trophy size and I can harvest him. Image
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Re: Thanks to Greywolf... I just had to kill something.

Postby Greywolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 am

Glad I was here to help. That was a nice roasting size hog. And like I said last night, you know where the leg hooks are, the ziplock bags and the trash bags. anytime you need the butchering area.... come on over.

You did a good job of butchering, just takes a little time to get it perfected. Smaller hogs make bigger trophys. Wanna head up there today and refill the feeder? I got to change batteries in the ranch feeders today sometime, so give me a call we'll work it in.

Congrats on the hog. Fresh meat on the grill is always great after a long day....even if your hunting.. :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'll call you after breakfast and coffee. Let's do a little stumpshooting. You can bring the Copperhead. I'll bring my 61 Howatt, I don't know if you've seen that one yet.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Sounds good to me, first we'll get the feeder and stump and scout till...............feeding time? :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 am

I snuck up the trail today about 2:45 and I always try to get a peek at the stand area as soon as I can. At about 50 yds from it I thought I caught a glimps of DMO. (dark moving object). Moving closer I could see there was already hogs at the feeder.
This is the other group of pigs a little bigger than the one I shot the other day. There is a calico, a blonde, a silver and a smoke. Cool looking hogs.
I stopped on the trail maybe 30 yds from the feeder and they started coming away from it and towards me. I nocked an arrow and just crouched next to a tree. I had a brief shot at the calico but noticed the smoke was a little bigger and was about to move broadside right in front of me on the trail. The silver turned towards me and started an investigation... alternating, snout up, looking at me, snout up... I was about to get busted. I picked a spot on the smoke's arm pit and drew back... then I remembered the PM I had earlier sent Greywolf... here, I will cut and paste... it read... "Man, I haven't dared to sit the stand with all this wind. Have you been up there?
I think I'll load my gear tonight so if it's not too windy after work I'll head up for a sit. It's all about the Mamba and the heavy snuffers for a while, the light tackle is staying home. I'm after big Boars now." :rolf: Seeing as how the hog I was about to snufferize was by no stretch of the imagination a "big Boar" I did not take the shot and they soon after winded me and ran off.
The rest of the afternoon I spent sitting in a wind blown tree. Ah, the life of a trophy Boar hunter. :rolf:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs