How do you hunt hogs?

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

How do you hunt hogs?

Postby xring » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm

We are starting to get alot of hogs in our hunting area. I see lots of tracks and they are tearing up some of the wheat fields. The only problem is they are so darn nocternal. I finally saw one last week when we had the ice storm. I was out coyote hunting and came over a terrace and there she was rubbing up against a telephone pole 60 yards away. There were cows all around so I couldn't chance a shot. She disappeared into the heavy thickets when the cows saw me and started running. So how do I get these rascals out in the daylight so I can take one with my bow? The gun hunters that hunt my place have feeders out but that does not seem to work either. Any ideas?
Black Widow PSA III 57@28
Black Widow PSA X 52@28
Groves Spitfire Mag III 48@28
Toelke Whip 52@28
Deutsch Drahthaar
xring
4X4 Bull

Re: How do you hunt hogs?

Postby Greywolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:27 pm

What I do is make a rooting site. Hogs can smell the Humus in the soil from a long way off. they will come to investigate and root in the dug up area. you might want to set up the trestand or ground blind as you start the digging so they get use to seeing it. also donate a couple old T shirts to the hunt cause. cut them into strips and wipe the sweat off with these rags push a stick in the ground and tie a strip on, so the hogs get use to the smell of you, They will know you and your smell, so with your scent free routine they will ignore a smell of you if the wind changes. (hogs can cut your track up to 3 week after you walk through a area.)

Take a shovel and turn the ground in a huntable area (near a blind or tree stand area) to about a shovel deep as you turn the soil put in fertilizer and wild bird seed. then spread fertilizer over the top and leave it for a day or two. They will smell the millet, oats, seeds and other good stuff in the bird seed mixture but will also root for the fertlizer. Once they start digging then just add 5 gal of water a day, this will disolve the fertlizer and then the hole will develope into a mud wallow.

After they are use to hitting it on a regular bases then, start putting corn and more bird seed in the mud, they will stomp it in themselves. keep the area close to cover, hogs hate large open areas, they like to be able to sneek back into cover easily.

Anything that smells will attract them no matter what time of the day, syrup, molasses, table scraps. anything.
I provide Blimpy with 6-8 5 gal buckets with lids, they set them out back and I pick them up on the way home, hogs will get use to it in no time at all. then you can introduce a feeder into the area and set it to go off during the day, where birds and other animals will eat it before dark, it'll force the hogs to come in for corn.

The only thing I wlll caution you on is, Hogs learn quickly..... they will learn this is a killing field and will trun nocturnal. so wait till they are starting to leave then take your shot, or shoot the first hog that walks in by him or her self. shooting during a feeding will turn them nocturnal quickly.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby xring » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks Greywolf. I didn't know pigs were so touchy. Question. If I make a rooting sight will the cows get in it? And when is the best time to hunt it? Evenings?
Another question. I think I know where they stay during the day. Here in the Texas Panhandle we have lots of huge plumb thickets. I've tracked most of them into one such thicket that is impossible for a human to enter although my Drahthaar can. If I run him in there will the hogs run or stand their ground?
Black Widow PSA III 57@28
Black Widow PSA X 52@28
Groves Spitfire Mag III 48@28
Toelke Whip 52@28
Deutsch Drahthaar
xring
4X4 Bull

Postby pappy177 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:05 pm

>The gun hunters that hunt my place have feeders out but that does not seem to work either. Any ideas?<

what we do is find a good spot , blind , tree , with cover close for the hogs. Take a 5 gallon bucket , fill it half way with water. Add enough cracked corn to fill 3/4 full. About 3oclock or so put in your bait spot with your tree (we use tree's) or your hidey spot. Add 1/2 can of red devel (lye you get at hardware store)
stir good and come back just before dark. sit in tree.
Before suneup get set again. (this makes southern homeny buy the way.)
Pigs come from miles away when the corn starts cookin.
Works good! BUT NOT IN A COW FIELD.
pappy177
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm

xring wrote:Thanks Greywolf. I didn't know pigs were so touchy. Question. If I make a rooting sight will the cows get in it? And when is the best time to hunt it? Evenings?

Another question. I think I know where they stay during the day. Here in the Texas Panhandle we have lots of huge plumb thickets. I've tracked most of them into one such thicket that is impossible for a human to enter although my Drahthaar can. If I run him in there will the hogs run or stand their ground?

Cows are grazers and turned up areas don't provide food like grasses or legumes, so if they do it'll be a fluke that they find the spot, but they won't stand and dig up the food you leave for the hogs.

Hogs are corpuscle animals (active more at daylight and dusk), now having said that depends on the hunting pressure too. on a hot day they will lay up all day long (hunt wallows) but I love evening time to hunt, all because I do that nasty thing called...Oh yeah...work :rolf: so I get off work do a quick rinse shower and head to the ranch, jump in the scentlok suit...remember where the "not totally scent free" comes in to play....and sit till dark 30 and go home.

Hog are gifted with the Fight or Flight syndrome, they will run away... most of the time, if he is ran in the thicket... he'll stay put.... till he's forced to make decision, most of that time it's run.
But that's not what you want. they are real active creatures in the first place, they walk and feed, they are constantly on the move, when a hog jerks his head up it's for a reason....... most of the time?.. YOUR BUSTED !! but not always. A relaxed hog is a much better target. If you get busted at the rooting pit, back out and leave for a day or two. But make it a point to leave feed when you go, even if it's dark, If I get busted... I dig a small hole (so the birds won't get it) and leave corn........but before I leave I pee on the covered corn.

Hogs sometimes are active during the day, constantly moving, trail cameras are a great scouting device.
Mine show the hogs at the "Pit" 5-5:30 am and then again right at dusk till about 8-9pm (well after hunting hours) when they get that way i turn the feeder off or set it for 2 feedings 1 and 3 pm, so they have to come in early or not eat at my place ..

it's a game, half the fun is getting them, to do, what you want them to do.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs