Another Hog Down!

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Another Hog Down!

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:51 am

I had a feelin I should go hunting after work today. I checked the spot the other day and saw good sign so I figured with some aproaching storm fronts in the forecast it's a good time to go, so after breaking the news to the Ole Lady that I wouldn't be meeting her to go shopping, :roll: I headed up the mountain.
I got to the area a little early for an evening hunt so I killed some time eating something so I wouldn't get hungry sitting in the stand... I hate that. I still thought I was a little early but geared up and went up the trail.
Something felt different, I kept stopping to smell the air, listen and look around. I was right, about 20 yds from the treestand I noticed a lot of very fresh tracks, then I heard pigs walking to the left of me coming across the trail. I tried to sneak closer to make an attempt at getting to the treestand. Too late they are getting too close! I saw two smaller pigs that I thought were going to bust me for sure but I managed to sneak up hill of them before they crossed my trail. There was more! they just kept coming, two, three, four!, five!! and they were starting to get bigger. At that point I knocked an arrow and got ready. They were all headed straight for me so I couldn't get a shot. Just then I saw out of the corner of my eye a large hog through the trees about 25 yds away up hill of me and to my right. It wasn't an ideal shot to take, a little far for my comfort zone with trad gear, pig was quartering toward me, and I had to thread it through some big downed trees. I figured I would get busted for sure and most likely not get a shot at all if I didn't go for it, so I drew back my 55# Howatt Mamba and let the Snuffer tipped 650 grain arrow do it's thing... Smack!! looked like a good shot, it was a beautifull sight the way it went between the tree limbs and into the pig. What a thrill shooting from the ground! I ran for the treestand and climbed up to get a better view of where the hog ran, and to get out of the way of all the other hogs scattering around :rolf:
Then I made the usual shaky voiced call to Greywolf. "I just shot a nice one!" as luck would have it, he was on the road driving by only like three minutes away! as I was on the phone with him I could hear more pigs coming down the trail. You gotta be kidding me! As I waited for Mark to come up the trail I counted seven more hogs including a nice Boar strolled right across the trail below me.
What a day! I have never seen so many wild pigs in one spot, and I ended up with a nice big good eating sow.
I can't say enough about how much Greywolf has done for me, he always seems to be there when I need him and has taught me a great deal about Bowhunting. I would also like to thank Tradrag for making it all happen. God I love Bowhunting.
Greywolf will most likely chime in here with some pics and more details of the kill. Thank you again Mark, and Tradrag. You are good people.
Last edited by >>>---DW---> on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Re: Another Hog Down!

Postby Greywolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 am

What timing !!! I was directly across the from DW passin by on the highway when my cell rang. I saw on the screen it was Dave I said "Heyyyyy, whats up?" then I heard I just shot one Hello?I just shot a pig Oh.... now I can hear the whisper, so I just missed the road to go where he was so I went down and did a huey and headed back towards his location. he relayed it was a nice size hog and.............. the cell lost the connection......figgers !!!!

I parked close to his truck and started in the woods, I made some quick time then slowed about 50-75 yds from the stand. I stopped next to the cross over tree, I saw movement on the ground near the stand, it was at least one hog, I stalked my way in watching the hog, I saw Dave in the stand he was watching another couple of hogs I couldn't see from my vantage point, The wind shifted and the hog looked right at me and just wondered away, not alarmed, just wanted to leave.

DW climbed down and told me the story, he pointed to the downed tree where he shot the hog. I crossed the limbs and crawled under the brush to where he said the hog was............. Sure enough, there was a blood splatter bout the size of a dinner plate....... the bloodtrail lead up to where DW had circled to, the blood trail lead us right to each other. he was worried it was a little high and maybe back but 10 yds further up, we confirmed he had a liver hit, the Snuffer tipped arrow was covered in dark red blood and stomach matter.

I sure was glad to see the Snuffer, I felt somewhat better now, we started the trail with a slow quiet pace of a 80 yr old guy with a walker......... slow by slow.. Not a word was spoken aloud all were whispers and PPPssttts and lots of pointing.
The trail lead us up and around the stream, then starting back towards the pines angling downward along the hill side. some times heavy blood sometimes just a drop. after bout 130 yds I spotted the hog laying head facing down hill along with the other rocks, perfect camo I said those three words every hunter loves to hear...... There it is! We slipped and slid over to the hog, now it became evident why the trail was so sparce, the intestines were sticking out blocking the enty hole. the Snuffer hole was huge but blocked just the same. A few handshakes and high fives and big smiles were the thing of the moment.

DW made a drag and started the pull and I helped by carrying the bow..... Well !!....it was his hog !!

After we crossed the stream we switched, and I took over the drag and shorty we were back at the truck. a couple of phone calls to tell the good news and we were on our way back to the cave to do the chore of butchering his hog.

Ok Ok OK, I'll be quiet now and post some pics

I told DW he needed to start carrying a camera with him...he said.... No way !! I don't see anything if I have one with me...........ok, makes sense to me.

Nice hog !! glad I was so close and was there to give ya a hand.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 am

A W E S O M E !!! Congrats DW!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Okie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:07 am

Um Umm, there some more fine eatin'!!! Way to go DW. I've shot hogs from the ground before (shotgun) and man it is a rush when the rest of 'em get gone. :shock:
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I was replaying that shot over and over in my mind last night til I fell asleep. That one's gonna stick for a while.
I feel more confident in my shooting ability now, and I can't say enough about Snuffers. Holy cow man, I'm pretty sure you can just take an arrow out of your quiver and wave it at the pigs, show them the Snuffer and they drop dead. I shoot em anyway just to make sure. :rolf:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Maybe it was the storm front moving in that caused them to move early. Man did it ever rain up here last night. 2-3 hours of heavy steady cave flooding rain. I had 2 inchs of water in the cave today.

Still raining off and on today, but nothing hard just rain.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Something got em stirred up and swarming. I thought maybe they were ganging up on me and I was under attack. They had me pretty much surrounded. Luckily I was armed.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Wolf Among Dogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 am

Nice one ! Very good size ! Yummy stuff there !
~ If you arent helping to preserve the wilderness , youre helping to destroy it. ~
~Longbows forever!~
Wolf Among Dogs
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Two shots..........two kills. That has earned Dave the covented hog drag award. well it's a hog drag that I make. a piece of 5 inch long 3/4 inch copper pipe, with a hole drilled in the center of the handle and a 3/32nd snare cable, with a double swedge on the end. One side is crimped tight and the other side slides like a lasso. just slide it over the upper snout and pull tight, the more the hog weighs the tighter it gets. it's cut to a length of just under 3 feet so when you pulling it lifts the head slightly and makes draggin easier.

Congrats Dave, you earned it. when ya get ready swing by and pick it up.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm

awwwwryte!! That's funny, I just threw away the bloody stick and string we used last time. I found it in the back of my truck when I went to wash it. I also noticed I have blood stains on my bumper and license plate from the hogs being on the tailgate. I didn't try very hard to wash em off. :rolf: a good huntin truck should have some mud and blood. 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs