Let the hunt begin....

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Re: Let the hunt begin....

Postby Hutch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:37 pm

SHOOT THE RAT!!!!!!
;)

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I'd say shoot the rat too............but then again..... he is your only source of entertainment :rolf:

if you shoot him, you'll wish you didn't, if you don't, it'll bug you that you didn't.......... shoot the darn thing and wear a MP3 Player !!
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Good news and bad news.

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 am

Bad news first... The Rat didn't show. The good news... a 86# Boar did!! Hawg down!
Just when I was thinking man, Rat hunt failure, I can't even finish the deal on a Rat! Today was the only day I haven't seen the Rat.
6:30 pm, getting kinda dark and not much time left, I heard a twig crackle up the hill. There is a big tree in the way so I can't see but I think there is a pig coming down the trail. I saw a bird flush nearby and I realized something is certainly happening. I looked back up the hill after not being able to see what's on the other side of the tree and saw a black Boar coming down the trail. He dissapeared behing the tree as well so I just turned my attention to the "Pit" There was a hog right there already! It snuck in on me while I was staring up the hill. I thought to myself I can take this one right now, I have a perfect shot. I had a feeling the black one was bigger so I waited for it. Sure enough when it came in it came right up behing the first one and gave it a sniff from behind. I knew that was my Boar.
I was shaking like a leaf trying to find my shot. The other Hog was in the way blocking the shot. I must have drew back at least five times and didn't take the shot because it was iffy. Breathe, breathe. Finally... right there... yeah, I drew back, found my spot, and let her rip. Thwack!!! about a 10 yd shot, I was sure my arrow found it's mark.
The Hogs ran right back up the hill where they came from and I could see them kinda spin around a little maybe 50 yds away just inside some thicker cover.
I was so excited! I called Greywolf before I even climbed down from the stand. I got one!!
I was a little worried when I climbed down and checked the spot where I shot... no arrow, no blood.I figured well I know where it ran so I just headed up there. Now I got blood, lots of blood. Easy track right to him. Sweet! Piled up maybe 50 yds away right where I saw him spin.
Perfect shot, the 125 grn Snuffer went right through it's heart and passed through the other side.
I started dragging him down the hill and Greywolf Mark showed up to lend a hand and take some photos. He was so excited I felt like I did him proud. I really could have not had this successfull harvest if it wasn't for Mark. It's my first Trad kill and I owe it all to him.
We took the Hog back to Marks place where he masterfully butchered it. It was like Pig butchering 101. Mark, I was so excited I forgot to even offer you any of the meat!! :roll:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 am

I've got plenty of meat not to worry,
It sure was great to see how excited you were. He was still shaking when I got there. When I got the call 10 minutes earlier it was unreal feeling knowing he had shot a hog, I told him I'd be right up there, Alpha Female had just set supper and she walked over and said I'll heat it up for you when you get back.

I grabbed my pack, the camera and headed out the door, a quick 5 minute drive and I was pulling in behind Dave's truck and he wasn't there yet, oh jezz? is he having trouble finding the hog? I don't tell anyone congratulations till after we find the hog, it might jinx the hunt.
So I Buckled the pack on, grabbed the camera and headed off into the dark woods, 70 yds inside there was Dave his huge smile and a nice boar right on the trail.

I saw his huge smile and then i shook his hand and congratulated him, I said tell me the story of how it happened, he relayed the story to me just as it unfolded, detail by detail. it was a great feeling. and he Snufferized the heart to boot !!!!

We took a few pictures in the woods of the hog, sorry there are not the best as i couldn't see anything in the dark woods and the viewfinders well but I did manage to get a couple shots.

[and one back at the house before skinning the hog.

Congrats on a fine hog dave, Glad I had a small part in it, one down..... more to go !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the pics Mark. That's classic, you can see where you put the blood on my forehead! :D
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:21 am

It was my pleasure to do both my friend.
Thanks to TradRag for makin it possible for two guys to meet and share a great time and a long time friendship.

Again, congrats on a fine hog and a great shot. he "Snufferized" the heart big time !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Hutch » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! Yeah baby! That's'freekin awsome!!

Now kill tha rat!!!

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks to TradRag for makin it possible for two guys to meet and share a great time and a long time friendship.

Gentlemen, that is awesome! It makes me feel SO good that the forum facilitated a meeting between you two. Very cool! It has done the same for me here in Oklahoma and elsewhere.

CONGRATS on a successful hunt too!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Cam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Way to go man!!!! Its quite a feeling isnt it?? My first trad kill was a pig also. And my 2nd....and my 3rd....then I kilt a dove and trashed my record.

Good job on making meat man. Plenty more to come!

Cam
Cam
Spike Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks folks! and a special thanks to Tradrag for helping to make it all happen. I'm sure there's more to come in the future.
I had to pull the gear out of the hunting area today because we have a tropical storm on the way. Just as well, the storm will make a mess of things but also clean things up in a way. I will most likely give it a week or so and then start trying to draw some hogs back in.
As for the Rat... that was the only day I did not see the Rat! hmmmmm. ;)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Yeah he needs a tropical storm with lots of rain to wash all the blood away. :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Cam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Ah...but hog blood makes the jungle grow!

Cam
Cam
Spike Bull

Postby Hutch » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:59 am

Got them stands back up yet??
I wanna see more ded piggies!!! ;)

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 am

All that was pulled was the camera and the feeder, the stand stays up, rain, storm or shine.
We have a small archery shop putting on a contest for the biggest hog or something like that. so this area will get hammered.
it's just a nice little piece of Hawaii that people over look because it's closer to the road and not a far walk, but they seem to have the mentality here, that if you don't walk/hike a hundered miles a day, your not hunting. Fine with us!

As soon as the rain lets up we'll head back into the pit area, now that DW has killed one, I can set a stand now, I'll either put another one up and we set two stands or take turns, no matter to me, it's all good.

Allllloooohhhhaaaa Ya' all

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Double stand, and get a Atlatl and Dart, or a spear kill on video. 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:02 am

Well I've been trying to re-prime the Pit the last few days. The hogs don't seem to be roving the same area like before. I sat the stand tonight with no action, not even the Rat, but on the way out I heard some Hogs down in the creek. I tried to get a stalk going but it was just getting too dark to see and they took off... busted. Pretty tough, there was no wind and the ground was snap crackle pop. So all in all there is still some Hogs in the area but they are spoooooooky. I may have to do some scouting.
Hey Mark, howz the hand?
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 am

Sounds like they need to be mango-ed. they will be all over themselves to get to them..

I was in surgery at 6:10 am and was released at 8:50 after about a half hour awake in the recovery room. Hand looks like a boxers wrapped hand, pain is manageable with Vicodin. Not for sure what they did, but I'll find out in 3 days when I get to remove the bandage.

I know I won't be pullin a bow for quite some time. Oh BTW corn dropped another dollar a bag at the feed store.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:51 am

Did you have em sew in some release tabs on your shootin fingers like I told you? :rolf:
I think your right about the mangoes. I was gonna pick some up today and I slacked on it. Gotta take advantage of the mangoes while they're still around.
Oh, by the way, I still have your cooler. The one that USED to huli when you pick it up... ;) I fixed it. I'm holding it hostage. The ransom is... yup, one bag full of mangoes. :lol:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:44 am

Ya drive a hard ransom !! :lol:
My tree is almost done, but stop by, there's a bucket by the gate at the bottom of the stairs, you gotta pickem up !! :rolf:

I might be able to use the compound then the bandages come off in3-4 days. I've got a score to try and even up with a big boar.

Hog-1 Mark-0 :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, aside from a little left over kalua pork in the fridge, this is all that's left of my Boar. I accidently cut off about an inch of each one when I was taking them out of the jaw, but still some decent hooks and a nice little trophy. Time to begin another hunt. 8-) Image
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Lookin good, Told ya there was more inside the jaw. Those look nice too, be a good lookin necklace. Good to see ya at the gun show saturday. Never bought anything cept 4 of them daggone expensive litium batteries for my G-2 flashlight, bought 4 for the price of one, can't beat that with a stick !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm

I didn't buy anything either, but I think I should have picked up one of those eze laps. That would have been perfect for the snuffers.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 pm

His were too small, I'll PM ya with the address of where to get a 2" X 11" on a Walnut base like mine. They are bout $30.00 but it's the last stone you'll ever need.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I need.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 am

Well, It's my third day hunting the same spot that I shot my Boar last month. The area seems to be still holding some Hogs. Just before dark tonight I had a big hairy black Boar come in. Came from the creek side just behind the stand. I could see him in the corner of my eye and I was afraid to turn around thinking he would catch my movement. He was only about 10 yards away if that! I stayed facing the pit because I figured he was on his way there, but he kept on going across behind me. By the time I could slowly turn around and try to find a shot there was no shooting lane and he was headed down the hill and farther away. Arrrgghhh!! he was bigger that the last Boar, really hairy and black as coal. He kinda looped around back up the hill a bit and then disapeared over it. It was starting to get really dark so I snuck out of there. Sure got my heart going! He went right across the path I take on the way in and didn't seem to scent me so I hope he'll be back.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 am

Ahhh sounds good, sounds like he's gonna be playin with you too.

Riddle me this? Why did the hunter cross the road?

Glad the area is still workin. Had a major malfunction today with family matters, so today I was here at home and not in the woods.
Maybe next time.

Oh and it's 9:30 the butcher shop is close for the evening.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Cam » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:42 am

Greywolf wrote:
Riddle me this? Why did the hunter cross the road?

Cause thats where the blood trail led??

Cam
Cam
Spike Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:41 am

Greywolf wrote:Riddle me this? Why did the hunter cross the road?

cuz he was trackin a chicken?
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 am

Good thought Cam.......DW has killed more on the other side of the road than he had seen where he use to be.

It might be stumpy that you saw DW, his track looks like a louisville slugger bat jambed in the ground. He is a huge hog.

Tried for 2 years to get him, he's the one I told ya about. I wish you luck with this one.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:53 am

Oh, I get it now.
Yeah, I used to hunt on the other side of the road. ;)
Stumpy huh, I thought maybe it was that phantom Boar, the one you can't kill and then disapears into thin air. Now I wanna go back up there and look for the tracks. He did seem to make an awful lot of noise. He wasn't very light on his feet. I thought it was you at first Mark. :rolf:
Truth is Greywolf is pretty darn quiet moving through the woods for a guy the size of a large Sasquatch.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Previous

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs