Let the hunt begin....

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Let the hunt begin....

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Last night I met DW in the Pali hunting area, we set a ladder stand over a well used run/baited area. DW sat the stand first last night. he heard some hogs down near the creek, but didn't see anything, but now we have the stand set it's just a matter of time before someone kills a hog from there.

It's not in the greatest ladderstand location. but once the hogs get use to walking by/around/close to it, then we'll position it on a better tree. If you wondering why we didn't set it there first, is because we will have to cut some shooting lanes so a tree gone here and there won't change the pattern hopefully.

We'll keep ya posted.......
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Let the hunt begin....

Postby Greywolf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 pm

last nite bout 4:20 my phone rings... I hear a excited...."Man I just had two hogs cross over in from of me, heading to the creek" DW had seen somer of the most wily almost nocturnal hogs in Hawaii. not real big but we are on the right track. they crossed over near the stream and he said they were having a heck of a time at the stream.

Hogs in this area are smart they know if a feeder goes off, it will have food after dark... they have been hunted and are very educated about people. Thats why we started the "messenwiththem 101" early.... small feedings... skip a day or two. them lots of food...
The whole Idea is makem come in during the daytime, not at 8-9 at night. Hawaii is totally over run with hogs since the closing of military bases after 9-11. they went ballistic. over populated big time.
Well DW and I are gonna lower the number count by a few here and there.

I'll be sure to post a picture of the first victim of the rouge we set for them..

More later................

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:24 am

Yup, it's true... we are closin in on em. Just a matter of time.
I am so confident, I just bought a new BBQ. :D
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby bull3540 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:22 pm

>>>---DW---> wrote:Yup, it's true... we are closin in on em. Just a matter of time.
I am so confident, I just bought a new BBQ. :D

That's the spirit! :D
You can't kill a man born to hang!
bull3540
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 am

I sat the stand saturday evenin, location is good, wind swirls some but for the most part is a left to right wind. We have a 70 yrs view 270 degress around the stand, on the left near the stream it's thicker cover.
Nothin showed up, it was a good quiet back to feelin good evenin. At 7 pm, I climbed down and start my slow walk back to
the truck.
I forgot to tell ya, when I arrived earlier at the site the place is torn up!! deep digs and plenty of good size tracks, it's just a matter of time till something is hangin on the meat pole.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:55 am

Action!! :o I had two good hogs come in @ 5:30. Both were around 75# or so. They were super jumpy and neither one offered me a shot. One of them ran around to the downwind side and took a big whiff with it's snout up in the air!.. smart bugger. When it came back around in front of the stand it looked right up at me twice. I didn't move a muscle. They could sense something wasn't right so they took off up the hill and downwind... aarrrgghhhh!!!!
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:45 am

Well, well well, looks like the Pali God is smilin on you. what color? all black? which way did they come in? creek side or from the old stand side? bet that got yer heart rate up a notch or two huh?
Glad to hear ya had action.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:50 am

They were both smokey, one was a little darker and a tad bigger (the jumpier smarter one) and they came in from the creek side up above the stand. I did see those smaller ones with them too but they stayed up a bit higher near the thick cover and didn't come down to the stand with the two big ones. So I got a little bit of a pattern now.
Oh man I was trying to calm down and find a shot but they both were nosed in straight at me right at the very top of the pit. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest! What a rush, and I never even got to draw back. I went from almost falling asleep in the stand to adrenaline overload in just a matter of seconds.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:44 am

Maybe stand movement might be in order if the wind was a factor, seems like it in that area. maybe some camo netting to hide the lower part of the stand? Hmmmm, glad to see it's being hit, I know the pit is 6-8 inches deeper than when we first started. Ham Slam...Oh yeah, it's gonna happen !!!!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am

Ham Slam...Oh yeah, it's gonna happen !!!!!

:rolf: I love it! I think it is SO awesome you two met and are sharing the woods and range together. Very cool indeed.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Well it was pouring rain today up there so I ran in and just dropped some corn. I'll sit the stand tomorrow. 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Our jerkhole of a boss moved our start time up to 8 am so we now quit work at 4:30 now, so the 40-50 minute drive home puts most of the hunting out for me for a while,by the time I get home shower it'll be too late to make a hunt.

So DW you gotta hold down the fort for a while.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Greywolf wrote:Our jerkhole of a boss moved our start time up to 8 am so we now quit work at 4:30 now, so the 40-50 minute drive home puts most of the hunting out for me for a while,by the time I get home shower it'll be too late to make a hunt.

So DW you gotta hold down the fort for a while.

Awww man that sucks but I will do my part. :lol:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:29 am

Well, I stopped by a job site the other day, they had a couple trucks blocking the access drive to the back of the house I was working on. I stopped by and said I saw you fellers doing some work here, thought I'd take a look and see what ya got going.
They were remodeling a house like the one I am doing. I chatted a moment and started to leave then stopped and turned and said Oh I forgot, would it be possible to have one of the trucks moved, as I have a truck of Trusses arriving any time?

The guy smiled and said he'd be glad to move his company truck, one the way out he ask me a couple of questions about my job.............we'll long story short he called me today and asked if I'd be interested in a job with his company, right out of the blue.
So we chatted a bit about benefits and the like and he said you think about it and we'll talk first of the week........

Oh wow ! he sounded ok with the pay I'm making now( but we will see)better medical, work hours are same as it use to be. he pays over time when worked and he was right up front with couple jobs signed but can't guarantee any more than that, If I'm on with them I'm sure he'll be picking up more work.

And I'll be telling DW to move over I'm climbing up to set beside ya. Yahooooooo

Hope it works out, I'm excited I had to tell some one !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:44 am

Hey that's great news!
I sat the stand this evening but didn't have any action. Unless you count the Rat that lives in the tree next door. It's the second time I've seen it stealing corn.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:04 am

And is the rat still alive? remember what they say? The smaller the target the bigger the trophy :rolf: Pope and Young rat !!

It's Saturday !!! Yeeeeeehhhhhaaaaa !!!

Hey DW did those arrow shafts come in yet? Lets go do somethin !! range.... Pali.... reposition stand..finish the other stand?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:49 am

Greywolf wrote:And is the rat still alive? remember what they say? The smaller the target the bigger the trophy :rolf: Pope and Young rat !!

It's Saturday !!! Yeeeeeehhhhhaaaaa !!!

Hey DW did those arrow shafts come in yet? Lets go do somethin !! range.... Pali.... reposition stand..finish the other stand?

The Rat is still alive. I was itching to shoot it though. It gave me a few great chances so I'm gonna bring a blunt head next time.
The arrows didn't come in but the feeder and camera did. I gotta go get batteries and some cable or rope. I also need more corn. So today I'm gonna try and get everything going and test it out in the yard. Maybe try to place it later. You should head out this way. I got a target in the yard and we got Koko Head Range right down the road. The Ole lady is going to a funeral so it's a play day for me.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Hutch » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Doggit man! I sure hope you two kill sumpthin soon ;) I'm jonesin to see some blood. I aint been able to hunt in almost three months now :x

Cum'on pigggies!! :twisted:

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Oh, by the way... MONSTER pig tracks up there yesterday. Almost as wide as my hand!
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:04 am

Uh, strange afternoon up there. The plan was to get there in time to watch my new feeder go off... it didn't and then it still didn't. Just when I was about to climb down and check it out I heard a kind of bb or pellet ricochet noise up in the trees. Shortly after I hear footfall coming up the hill. snap, crackle, pop. Too loud and clumbsy to be pigs... It was two great white North Americans! WTF? I think it's tourist season all year but I'm not sure of the regs in the Pali area so I didn't shoot em. :lol: They were creeping up the trail and looking for who knows what, birds?.. paradise?.. waterfalls with bathing hawaiian beauties? I don't know, one of them had a camera. They didn't see the treestand or me so I tried to get there attention... psssstttt! psssssttttt! the one in front stopped and offered me a great quartering away shot, but I still didn't shoot. He turned and I could see his eyes were huge. :shock: When I finally got his attention focused on my camoflauged self up in the tree he looked like he crapped in his cargo shorts. The look was priceless. I gestured with my hand... shoo, shoo! and the two of them scrambled down the hill like they just saw bigfoot. :rolf:
After all that nonsense I had to deal with the feeder. That thing didn't want to go off unless I was staring eye level with the spinner plate! It tried to take my head off with high velocity corn bullets three times until I took it down out of the tree and killed it out of frustration. So after making way too much noise I dumped out it's contents in the pit and then stuck it over by the stand and climbed back up.
I started hearing more strange noises in the distance like rapid fire pellets or something and peoples voices so I decided it was just not a good evening for a hunt. I rapped things up and headed down the hill. On the way out I ran into a big group of what was either paintballers or airsoft gamers. Friggin grand central station up there today! :x
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 am

I've run into them before... Lucky I had the pig squealer call with me, I remember seeing a very plump white(I do mean white) woman and her wanna be husband walkin up towards the condo, I let out a pig squeal that the guy in deliverance woulda been proud of, then a low loud geeeeeeettttt ooooouuuutttttt and one more squeal did the trick, boy do them biggens move when scared.

At the original pit someone killed my feeder with a .22 and then actually shot a 3 inch in diameter tree to the point, it fell. That's the problem with public hunting areas open to the idoi... I mean....people with unknown intentions. Shoulda call HPD and said someone is shooting a gun on the access road into the woods towards you, They woulda been there in a heartbeat, and in force too.

Sorry the feeder crap-ed out, mine didn't go off last night either except with the remote key pad. but I set mine off from a safe distance :rolf: LIVE FIRE !!!!! Opps....sorry

I gotta get the new job worked out this week, so I'll touch bases with you tomorrow or tuesday I start the TV producer classes next monday too so I'm gonna be busy for the next 3 weeks for sure, oh jezzz plus, I gotta get my thumb surgery scheduled too AAARRRggggggg..........

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:52 pm

We got Hawgz! ... here's a pic from the trail cam. A total of four pigs came in @ 8:00 pm and stuck around for 45 Min. then the Two smaller ones came in @ 10:00 pm, again @ 1:00 am. One of the bigger ones came back by briefly @ 5:00 am. Image
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Way to go DAVE !!!! those are some real decent size hogs for the Pali !! and those aren't #20 in case your wondering :rolf:

More like right to left #95-#100 #85-#90 #80-#85 Any bigger than that they start getting tuff as nails.
And for those who don't know, They are a whopping 8-9 yards from the stand. Now it's time to work on the arrival times.
Time once again to implement messenwiththem101

Nice pics DW !!! Now we know who's tearing up the pit for a after dark snack.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm gonna try to put the hurt on em Fri.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Hutch » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Izit friday yet??!?!?!

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 am

I'm just thinkin this full moon is not helping them want to come out earlier. Man it was bright last night. :(
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 am

Gotta remember they are seasoned veterans. They know a feeder means "somem not goods, ready to happen" :rolf:
Just a matter of luck, and their travel route, they hit other feeders first before getting to the pit.
I'm gonna set the ranch feeder tonight, just to see if the hog I shot survived. But I will... Uht hum... carry my bow....
I mean...just in case I get attacked...Yeah that's it.... by a... horse-eating hog. One has ta take precautions ya know ;)

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby HAWKEYES » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Howzit Greywolf and DW, enjoy reading the Pali hunts. Keep it coming!

Aloha!
HAWKEYES
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:35 pm

We'll try hawkeye, but they don't want to cooperate with us. but one of these days...... :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Maybe it'll be today. That rat is still showing every time. I should start a poll... should I shoot the rat or not? :lol:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Next

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs