Hog kill pics.........

Post your stories, pictures and experiences of Big or Small Game harvest.

Hog kill pics.........

Postby Greywolf » Sun May 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Got any hog kill pics? no matter what ya kilt it with lets see it........

Here's a couple from Hawaii, were totally over run with them here.......... all of these are bow kills, some are even stykbow kills...... took time to get confident with it....

JanHogs004.jpg

Doubled that evening

My best G Fred Asbell impression first kill with my just built recurve

Sundays spot and stalk hog

Postem up lets see them
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Hog kill pics.........

Postby woodsman1031 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:10 am

Nice pics!
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 am

Nice... you make a good body double! 8-) Great pics. I want to harvest a pig so bad. I have been close. knocked, and started to draw but was busted. :?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Ironwood » Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 am

You asked for photos of hog kills regardless of what you killed it with. I had been taking my CVA .50 caliber St Louis Hawken to the stand nearly every day except this day. Man! I would have loved to have taken this big ol' guy with the Hawken.

I killed this ol' hog a couple years back. He came to the feeder just a little before dark. The weirdest thing I ever saw coming over the terrace. I couldn't figure out what the heck was coming in. When he finally turned sideways I could see it was a hog. He sure looked funny without any ears. Do you guys have any idea how he got earless?

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago
Ironwood
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Thats a SLOB !! Congrats on the kill.
We see hogs here from time to time that have been hit by dogs. ears tore off and tore up. that's bout all the dogs have to hold on to.

The only thing bad about a hog that big?............... draggen it backImage

I don't care what ya use to hunt with, I do it all. Can't see staying home from a hunt because they used rifles, shotgun, pistols ML. sticks , pocket full of rocks or slingshots. It's all about being out there.
Stalken game and the campfire is what it's all about....

Oh bout how much did it weigh? #340 ?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Ironwood » Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

I don't know about the hog dogs. If it were dogs they didn't win the battle. He was still very much a boar hog.

Two of us couldn't get him lifted to the tailgate of one of those Dodge pickups with 17 inch wheels. We field dressed him and finally struggle and got him up there. We took him to the club scales. While the hogs head was still on the tailgate the scales was reading 350 pounds. My friend Joe reached out and pulled the hog's head off the tailgate and let it fall. Well all heck broke loose when the hog hit the end of the scales. I thought the whole shed was coming down! :lol: After everything stopped shaking and we stopped running, the scales were stuck at 220! I've killed several hogs over 200 pounds and this hog was much bigger. I showed the photo to a butcher friend of mine. He said the hog should have gone well over 350 pounds. Of course he could have just been building up my ego! :)

The last I saw of the hog he was in the back of Joe's truck headed for Houston to be made into hot tamales. Come to think of it....... I never did get any of those hot tamales. :rolf:
Ironwood
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Well.... Grab the Hawkin and go getcha another one. I love seein big hogs. but if I have my druthers, I'd druther have a hog bout #70-#90 for eatin. we got plenty of that size runnin around the ranch. course all the horse riders callem "Horse eating hogs".

Guess, I need to go at least walk the ranch and see what's sneaked in since I've been gone.

This guy was a heavy drag........

Last edited by Greywolf on Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Ironwood » Tue May 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Greywolf, you are sure enough right about the best eating size. I like them at about 100 pounds and a sow. The hams about a feral sow are about as good eating as can be found. Especially when it's slow cooked over a hickey fire.

I hate to say it but I have a 25 year old heart by pass that's starting to collaspe on me. Caused a third heart attack May of last year. I haven't been able to go hunting since then. Matter of fact my Jeanne won't even let me go to the woods by myself anymore. :(

Here's one of my first hog kills. I took the photo by putting my 35MM camera in the brach of a May Haw tree. Setting the timer, hustle back to the hog, grab it's ears and this is what I got. I didn't notice the palmetto frond across my face. Until I developed the film!

This is another of the bigger hogs I've kill and the biggest sow. I don't have a clue as to how much she weighed. I took her to a processor and he forgot to weigh her. In a way that was lucky for me because he only charged me $35.00 to skin, cut, and wrap her. Killed this one when I was by myself.. Had to use a come-along to get her loaded.

Ironwood
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm

Yep, the up side of having a digital camera. Nice hogs, sorry to hear about the heart problem.

Maybe ya need to coach Jeanne about some fine hog hunten ;) course you'd have to show her the first hundred or so times, I heard they don't pick it up real quick :shock: Alpha Female won't even see it while I'm butchering it here at the cave.

But thats alright, she just says fix yer own supper if yer cleanin too late at night or eat it cold.............. That's a deal !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Tue May 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Nice pics Ironwood. Thank you for sharing!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Ironwood » Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Tradrag, Thanks glad you like the photos.

Greywolf.. Don't sell the ladies short. The very first time I let my Jeanne shoot my .44 it became her pistol! She was an excellent pistol shot right from the git go. The photo of her at the hunting lease was taken about 35 years ago. For a little ol' Yankee gal it didn't take her long to become a real Texan. :D We've been married 51 years....so far. :D
Attachments
Jeanne 44 touched up.jpg
Jeanne 44 touched up.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 11073 times
Ironwood
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am

Yer a lucky man, Guess I was speaken from my view from my side of the pond. My Apology, Sir. Most people over here don't even know we have Axis and Blacktailed deer here.

Guess 25 yrs in Hawaii has taken it's toll.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Wolf Among Dogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:42 am

Good stuff ! Whats the season on them on the islands ? I took another one today !
~ If you arent helping to preserve the wilderness , youre helping to destroy it. ~
~Longbows forever!~
Wolf Among Dogs
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Wolf Among Dogs wrote:Good stuff ! Whats the season on them on the islands ? I took another one today !

Hunting seasons..........Well let me see.......... Ohhh none, no season we can hunt 365, hogs deer goats sheep. we have to pay a land tag fee for deer on Lanai, but it's $50.00 for a yr with no limit on deer or sheep.
Hogs are a nuisance here, I have a damage controll permit which allows me 24 hrs a day 365 hunting hogs.
I can set traps , shoot at night, and no limit, they just want them controlled. there are public hunting lands those are sunup to sundown hunting times.
When the fruit comes on my phone starts to ring.

Now, if I were rich instead of good lookin I could hunt more than I do, gotta pay the bills ya know :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Wolf Among Dogs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Very cool...we have no season here either...very cool ! ..here our deer lic. is 15 dollars
~ If you arent helping to preserve the wilderness , youre helping to destroy it. ~
~Longbows forever!~
Wolf Among Dogs
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:19 pm

We have a general hunting lic $20.00. Good from 1 July to 30 June every yr. only thing is there are no season for deer on Oahu, because we don't have any here(wink wink). I have a small herd I kinda keep and eye on less than 30 I'd say in one group the others are scattered on the country side of the island.

soon they will start being seen it's only a matter of time. besides I love to hunt hogs. But I won't turn a trip outer island down if one comes along.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 pm

What? Deer on Oahu? Mark we need to talk, you've had too much of the loudmouth soup. :rolf:
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 am

Chairman of DNR couple years ago wanted me to go "kill them all" I politely declined.
Waimanalo has a bunch from the ranch that disappeared. some came back some didn't. it's common knowledge.

Except where my herd resides. and that remains a secret.
One evening stop by and lets get the rest of the ladder stand completed, if you would be so kind.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am

you got it bud.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Return to Other Hunting | Big and Small | Hogs