Gatofeo joins TradRag

Just find your way to Trad Rag? Stop in and say, "Hello" and join us around the campfire.
Gatofeo
Spike Bull
Gatofeo joins TradRag

Post by Gatofeo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:47 pm

(Gatofeo News Service) -- The remote Utah desert's grumpiest ol' desert cat has joined TradRag.
Gatofeo, who has been posting firearms information on the internet since 1998, and had a black powder lubricant named after him, recently joined because he believes that using black powder firearms should mean using the old, traditional arms.
"I was invited to TradRag by a member, who had read some of my posts concerning cap and ball revolvers. This looks like a great site and falls within my personal feelings about the use of black powder, and especially black powder hunting."
Gatofeo lives in the remote Utah desert, west of Salt Lake City, where he can shoot as far as the eye can see and not disturb anyone. Born and raised in Washington State, who once lived in northern Idaho for many years. he moved to Utah in 1997.
"I love the desert," he said. "I lived near the vast, arid areas of eastern Washington when I was a kid. The desert grows on you. There's a lot of history in this area of Utah: Pony Express trail, Lincoln Highway, pioneers, Indians, soldiers, mountain men, Kit Carson, Donner Party and even an internment camp for Japanese Americans during World War II."
A bachelor, Gatofeo has never married. Thus, he's been able to acquire a large collection of firearms and firearms library.
"I have every issue of the American Rifleman from 1928 to the present," he said. "And just a couple of years ago I bought a china cabinet just to display my cartridge collection. My married friends shake their head in wonderment," the ol' cat chuckled.
His black powder interest is primarily in cap and ball sixguns, though he does own an early 1980s CVA Mountain Rifle in .50 caliber.
"It's browned, with traditional iron or pewter, and looks like an old rifle," Gatofeo said. "Even back then, I didn't much care for other muzzleloading rifles that had adjustable sights and lots of brass. Looked too garish for my tastes."
Some years ago, in one of his old American Rifleman magazines, he stumbled across an old factory recipe once used to lubricate heeled bullets in black powder cartridges.
"The recipe was rather general, so I used very specific items: canning paraffin, beeswax and mutton tallow," he said. "The result was a remarkable black powder lubricant that, after I posted my specific recipe on the net, became popular. So popular, in fact, that folks started calling it 'Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant.' I don't take credit for creating it, but I will take a little credit for improving it. I use it for a variety of black powder applications, but especially for lubing the felt wads in cap and ball sixguns."
Gatofeo also shoots a variety of modern firearms, with an emphasis on handguns. His favorite handguns include a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Walther PPK .380, S&W .22 target revolver and Kimber 1911 .45 target pistol.
"But I also have modern rifles and some shotguns I enjoy," he said. "The old guns are particularly interesting to me, though. Just last year I bought an 1873 Winchester in .32-20 that had been in a family for 110 years."
The name Gatofeo means "ugly cat" in Spanish; the origin of which he has never fully explained.
"I'm not Hispanic -- half German and Belgian actually -- and the origin of my name is a long and complicated story. It suits me, though. I ain't Tom Selleck."
Gatofeo's other interests include relaoding, casting bullets, collecting old books, fishing, exploring the desert, miliary history, American West history, writing, photography, reading, spoiling his cats, travel, cooking, making a mean Martini, the paranormal, lurking around antique stores and chatting with net-friends around the world.
"You will note that hunting is not listed among my interests," he said. "I hunted a lot in northern Idaho but never bagged a deer or elk. I became a jinx to every party that invited me out, to the point where they stopped inviting me. So, I took up grouse hunting. Here in Utah, I've abandoned hunting altogether. I'm not opposed to it, I just lost my personal desire to hunt."
Joining TradRag, where so many people are hunters, may seem incongrous but Gatofeo enjoys reading about the experiences of others who use black powder.
"I fired my first cap and ball revolver about 1970. From then on, I was hooked. I love the smell of brimstone in the morning ... it smells like ... history," the ol' cat grinned.
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment and metallic cylinders. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Gatofeo joins TradRag

Post by TradRag » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 pm

The name Gatofeo means "ugly cat" in Spanish;
I take it Gatoguapo was already taken? :D Handsome cat just doesn't go around here.

Glad to have you here. Welcome to TradRag :!:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

heavybows
5X5 Bull

Post by heavybows » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 am

Wellcome to the forum. Marlon

Achillies
Raghorn Bull

Post by Achillies » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Welcome aboard.

hotpass
Spike Bull

Post by hotpass » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:42 am

...Makes me wanna just up and change my name to Gatosuave... :lol:

Gatofeo
Spike Bull

Post by Gatofeo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Gatoguapo and Gatosuave are my half-alien clones, stemming from my abduction.
I don't wanna talk about it ... :mrgreen:
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment and metallic cylinders. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)