Hello, just found you...

Just find your way to Trad Rag? Stop in and say, "Hello" and join us around the campfire.
Dick in Seattle
Spike Bull
Hello, just found you...

Post by Dick in Seattle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Hello;

I am Dick in Seattle. I’m 70 years old and I’ve been into trad archery for four years, since my eyes got too bad for open iron sites on muzzle loaders, which I shot from youth. I’m active on several archery forums. Some of you may know me from them… I don’t know how much overlap there is. I didn’t know about this site till today.

I only recently started trying to build bows. I have health and physical problems and decided to build bows to suit my needs… low weight and short draw longbow/flatbows. I hope to specialize in wide limbed, easy draw glass laminate flatbows. I was fortunate to be offered instruction from J.D. Berry, who built me a form and guided my first layup.

Since then, I have equipped my own shop and completed one flatbow, which can be seen at:

http://dickwightman.com/archery/bowyeri ... alpix.html

I didn’t really do a buildalong, more of a narrative “agonize and worry along” so that I would have a record of all of my mistakes… and there were plenty of them! That’s a bit to wade through, but if anyone wants to, just use the first parts of the link above… through “beginningbowyerlog” Be warned, the first part is all narrative before any pictures start.

I am now preparing a new bow form, just because I wanted to “do it myself”.

I reviewed Rancid Crabtree’s buildalong, and all I can say is “Wow!” It was full of great work and useful ideas.

I hope to participate in the Bowyer's Workbench here, learning more and offering what I can.

Guess that’s all you need to know about me at this point… other than that if you’re in the Seattle area, you’re welcome to contact me and come visit, see the shop or shoot. My email is:

rwightman@mindspring.com

Dick in Seattle

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Hello, just found you...

Post by TradRag » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Welcome to the Rag. Glad to have you Dick.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Ontario Longbow
Raghorn Bull

Post by Ontario Longbow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 am

Welcome Dick,, you will have to post pics from your great Hill collection,, All the best,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.

heavybows
5X5 Bull

Post by heavybows » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:12 pm

wellcome to the forum. Marlon