no matter where ya go...

Just find your way to Trad Rag? Stop in and say, "Hello" and join us around the campfire.
Spider1
Spike Bull
no matter where ya go...

Post by Spider1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:14 am

There's a Spider hiding somewhere 8-)
"The history of the bow and arrow, is the history of mankind"
-- Fred Bear

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: no matter where ya go...

Post by TradRag » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:28 am

Welcome Spider1. Glad to have you.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

JuanR
4X4 Bull

Post by JuanR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Welcome Sir, good to have you

allanburden
4X4 Bull

Post by allanburden » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Glad to have ya!
Allan Burden

heavybows
5X5 Bull

Post by heavybows » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Wellcome to the forum. Im new here to. Marlon

Spider1
Spike Bull

Post by Spider1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks guys. I guess I'll tell ya a bit about me.

I'm originally from Long Island NY but in my younger days I spent a handfull of years living a traveling around the mid west and western states. I wasn't a hunter back then, mainly riding Harleys, drinkin beer and taquila and spending my money on loose women. Ahhh, the life :D

Well, I'm in PA now and married with grand kids...well, one grandson and another on the way and will be ready for delivery this spring. My grandson Del shoots an oak flatbow, but I'm working on a BBO longbow for him now. My grandson to be Ryan is getting a 24" Yew longbow to start off with ;)

During the first month I landed here in PA I had my first flyrod and bow. An old Bear compound. Shot wheels for many years but always had a fasination for the midieval longbows of Europe. About 4 or 5 years ago I made my first flatbow and hunted with it. Didn't get anything, but it didn't matter, I was out there with a bow of my own making. Been making my own equipment ever since.

I'm the Monroe county rep of the United Bowhunters of PA, and was asked to do a bow building seminar at the Winter festival, should be interesting since I consider myself a beginner, but maybe I can help someone else get started too.

I hunt deer, turkey and bear with recurves and longbows only, mainly cuz I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a gun so to keep the numbers of broad sides of barns in check, I decided to stick with one weapon type. This year it was a Bear Grizzly, but the Mrs got me a Kodiak Mag for Christmas this year so I'll be using that for a while.

I'm a machinist by trade but I'm stuck to a desk these days writing programs for cnc machines. How I got here...I'll never know!

Well, that's about it for me, sorry to bore ya so much.

Mike
-- Fred Bear

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 am

Mike, great stuff! Thank you for sharing. I admire you getting the young ones started so early. I started my son with a fiberglass longbow at four years old and then after a year moved him in to his own little custom longbow that Santa brought. He is eight now and is ready to try and harvest a Turkey. He is counting the days to Gobbler Season here in Oklahoma.

If or when you decide to do a build-along, I have created a sub-forum under Archery called The Bowyers Bench. :)

Again, Thank you for sharing.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Spider1
Spike Bull

Post by Spider1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks, I've done a few build alongs. Next one I do I'll post it.

My grandson Del, who lives with me and my wife by the way, got his first bow when he was about 2 months old. But it wan't me that bought him that little plastic bow with suction cup arrows, Grammy spoils us boys with bows ;)

Now he's pushing the big 9, lol. he isn't into target shooting very much, he likes to shoot for distance and watch them fly! I wonder if there's a flight shooting champ there...or maybe a new clout champ!
-- Fred Bear