Newbie form OH, w/ a question

Just find your way to Trad Rag? Stop in and say, "Hello" and join us around the campfire.
TallP
Spike Bull
Newbie form OH, w/ a question

Post by TallP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:54 am

Hi all,

I'm just getting started back into this bow thing. I used to just shoot around the yard and local woods as a kid. Now getting back due to my 13 y.o. daughter wanting to start shooting recurve.

I'm looking for advice for what bows would be a good match for me. My usename says it all, @ 6'7" I find it hard to get things that "fit". I have been measured to determine that I have a draw length of 32". I am looking for a recurve and want to be able to hunt once I get to a competent level of shooting.

I almost forgot to add this part, I am LH

Thanks for any advice

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie form OH, w/ a question

Post by Greywolf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 am

First of all welcome......

6'7" wow thats as almost as tall as my son, Ok, to answer your question, I'd suggest a longbow, look for one at 68 inches or maybe 70 inches. Bowhunting legend Howard Hill had a 32" natural draw. but shot at a 29 inch draw, a traditional bow draws less than a compound due to the form. Compound is more stand up straight and stretch out, longbow shooting form is more hunker down and is sometimes 1-3 inches less depending on your form and shooting style. Being left handed isn't as much of a concern as it use to be.

I'd suggest you look at the Bear Montana longbow, or you might have to go with a longer custom bow, if you really do draw 32 inch. the "hunker down" shooting style as I mentioned makes you draw less.
Which ever route you decide, the draw weight is the important thing, a bow that draws too heavy will result in poor shooting form. A repeatable form is what traditional shooting is all about, so pick a bow that is easy to pull and hold for 5-7 seconds with out shakin like a dog passen a peach seed.
Get your form established and repeatable. Then move up in weight as you get use to pulling the weight I'm 6'3" and shoot 29" draw and all my hunting bows are in the #50-#55 range, for every inch of draw over 28 inches the bow will gain about #3 per inch so if you do have a 32 inch draw you could be pulling #12-#14 more than the marked weight on the bow.

For your daughter, I'd be thinking in the #20 range, what I would suggest that would be better is, take her to a pro shop and try out some of the bows they have. What fun is shooting if you have a hard time doing it?
Remember the #1 rule of Archery... "It's fun, keep it fun."(George Chapman olympic shooting coach)

You should have some shops in Ohio, check them out they are a great help to get you and your daughter started.

Welcome to the world of lota fun

Aloha
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TallP
Spike Bull

Post by TallP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Greywolf,
thanks for the input. I knew I didn't want to go too high on draw weight due to increase as length goes up. I think my biggest concern has been finger pinch due to too short of a bow.

The daughter already has PSE Optima @ 35# and her draw length is 27.5". She is doing great already, I now need to get myself a bow so that I'm no longer standing around as she gets to have all the fun.

heavybows
5X5 Bull

Post by heavybows » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 pm

wellcome to the forum.