Traps: What have I got.

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

Traps: What have I got.

Postby Bill Watts » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 am

Picked up this lot of traps from a friend who was going to throw them out. They came with the house he bought and he doesn't know a thing about them. I only know slightly more.

So, what've I got? There are:

7 #1.75 Victor Professionals,

7 similar #1.5

11 Montgomery step #1.5

8 Montgomery step #2

2 Northwoods #1.75

4 Victor #1 (oneida?)

1 Victor #1.5(oneida?)

2 unidendifiable #2 with an "H" on the step plate.

They all work fine, but the 11 Montgomerys look like they could use a wire brush.
Sell them, or scrap metal? I would like to think that I would use them, but with running a business I know that they will just sit in my shop collecting dust. Thanks,

Bill
Attachments
trapsm.jpg
Bill Watts
Spike Bull

Re: Traps: What have I got.

Postby Newkirk Jerry » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't know what all you have there but don't scrap them. Find a fur sale or a trapper rendezvous in your area, an ad on Craigslist, even an ad in Fur-Fish-Game should find you someone who wants them. An animal damage control person might want them too. Hate to see them melted down unless your making broadheads, then I'll take three in 125 grains. ;)
Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Postby Zenshooter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Its been a few years since I ran a trapline, but from the photo, it looks like a nice set of traps, especially the double springs. I'd hang on to them and get a licence, and make a set (drowning set) now and then for mink where you live. Its fun to learn to "think like a mink" & they're easy to case skin with a good fillet or folding Case "muskrat" knife. Buy one mink stretcher, and that's all you need. There is nothing wrong with a little money!
Zenshooter
Spike Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Contact your Fish & Game department and get the name & contact info for some of the nuisance trappers in your area. One of them should be willing to take them off your hands. It would be a shame to destroy them, and some may even be collectors. Fur-Fish-Game magazine always has articles on trap collecting so you could contact them also.

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby wormbobskey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm

The 1.75's and the 2's are great fox and coyote traps the 1.5's work good for coon and similar sized animals and the 1's are for muskrats and mink. The traps are definitely worth keeping. The Northwoods and montgomeries are some very good traps and are always in demand, the 1.75's about 7.00 to 8.00 and the monty's around 10.00 apiece.. The victors are also worth keeping and would run around 8.00 each on the used market. Check to make sure the springs are still strong and if so you could clean them up, dye and wax them and start catching fur. Good luck.
wormbobskey
Spike Bull

Postby trapperDave » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 am

you can send them to me :)

the longsprings are good for muscrat and mink. the 1.5 coils for coon and the 175s are good for yote
Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Return to The Trappers Den