Hogs are not stupid !!

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

Hogs are not stupid !!

Postby Greywolf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Yesterday I set 3 cage traps, one was a smaller single hog trap, the other two can hold... well 9 is the most that one trap has held. So today, I walked the ranch to see how many I was going to have to try and get rid of.
The single catch trap, had the door let down but not closed. so evidently when the hog pushed it's way in, the door rides on the back then when it gets far enough inside the door closes by falling off the butt of the hog.
Most of the corn was gone half way in the trap, somehow it stopped then backed up, letting the door down easy. so I set it with a longer stick (I know really high tech here) and scatted more corn. maybe tomorrow, we shall see.

As I made my way over to the other riding field, I could see plenty of evidence hogs are really making a mess of things there, rooting and digs all over the place. They move along the edges during daylight hours then hit the center at night. Reeking havoc all over. So maybe Tomorrow evening, I'll do a night time kill mission. spot light and .22 And yes, I do have a damage control permit, as night hunting here isn't allowed.
Ok, back the trap, as I eased up to the chain link trap I can see the door is closed, so I cautiously got closer, and peered into the weeds, nope..... nothing I think they may have crowded together in the door way and knocked the prop that holds the door open down and then it just pushed them out of the trap? the door closes with a weight on the out side pulls the door closed, but this trap same as the other is a continuos catch trap,They just push the door open and walk on in. If they are hungry or not scared off

I reset the trap and wondered if a longer rod would help... I put that idea on the back burner to maybe make another trip rod....sometime.... I scattered more corn and went to the un-baited trap.

The un baited trap you ask? yep, This one was set a day earlier and had a bunch of small pigs in it. They sported thumb size prints and this cage has made with 6inch by 6 inch wire concrete panel. It's made that way for just this reason, smaller pigs can get out and only the larger hogs get caught, so if I catch a wet sow, the piglets and get out and not be trampled to death by the sow. Then.... if she is full teats... then I can open the door and let her go. (remind me to tell you about the one sow that but me on top of the trap after 3 times around the trap) so I set the trap without any bait because... well I didn't have any with me when I discovered it was tripped !!

Ok it's 3 and 0 for today.
So I did made it back home and fashioned a longer trip trigger and took it back over to the ranch (Besides the alpha female wanted chinese from the shop over on that side)
Just as made it back to the ranch and I topped the edge of the field. I see a lone boar along the edge of the field about 30 yds from where I have the trap stashed in the weeds, during the day hogs run from people walking, but riders can ride right up on them. I had my white bucket of tools to work on the trap, so I decide to see how close I can get before he runs, so I walk exaggerated... swinging the white bucket and humming to myself. The hog stands and watches me all the way to the edge of the field and it just 30 yrds away. Now I know a couple of ya are wondering , if I'm at the ranch why not be carrying a bow...right?
Well.... I..... wonder that too sometimes. most of the time when I see hogs and I....... don't have a bow with me. Think I'd learn, but this was a fix and repair mission.

So I walk inside the elephant grass and the hog decides it's not good cause he can't see me any more, and darts into the weed edge too, as I started to work on the new trigger, things are working just as I thought they would.
Wishing I had done my other idea now !! But that's par for the course. I'm working and making the best of it when I hear the weeds move and look to the side near the woods and see the grass moving and the movement is coming towards me...... at 5-6 feet form the trap the movement stops and the hog gives out a get the heck out of my feeding area long grunt... well... fine then ! I set the traps trigger grab my bucket and back out. I'm 10 feet up kinda cross wind in the edge of the riding field and I see weeds move and I hear corn being crunched, I'm trying to see what it is..... then I see on the top of the trap is my pliers and wire cutters........ shoot !!!

I move in real easy, I'm only 3 feet from the weed line the hog lets go with a "I'm sick of you" grunt and runs along the edge and stops, I grab my pliers and stuff, move the plywood cover into a better position and take 3 steps back out into the field Whew..... No confrontation..... I'm happy ... I start to walk and get my white bucket and get out of there, so it can have the whole place to it's self, when I just get to one step from the bucket the hog is right at the end of the trap in plain view, Jet black staring at me (or it's another one?) and it's about #60 and daring me to do something, I froze in mid step and it gave huffing grunt and charged off into the weeds, sounding off his displeasure of my presents.... Ok, it's time for me to get out of there.
As I crossed the field I stopped to look back over the field. No, there wasn't any hog watching me walk away, but I'll tell ya, I did have a smile on my face, I'll bet the hog was thinkin "The stuff I got to put up with to live here in my woods... Humans". Jezzzz.

As I neared the truck a rider came by and asked, "Ya see any pigs?" Yeah saw one, she said well there's lot more than that.... Duhhh...Yeah, I know, Time will tell just how many Not-so-smart ones I have.

But for now, it's time to head back across the mountain.
Tomorrow is another day.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Hogs are not stupid !!

Postby Frosty the Bowman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 am

Mark,

No fair, you get all the fun over there. Heck don't think we even have wild hogs here, and if we did we probablly couldn't hunt them. Probably be labeled some protected ethnic specis or some such liberal crap :lol:

Wish I could help ya good buddy, but your on a solo mission on that happy private hunting ground of yours :applaud: Lucky schmuck, life must be so hard :rolf:
Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Postby Sneakon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 pm

No, hogs are not stupid. I guess that is why they do so well in the wild. I could see the ranch areas in my minds eye and it makes me want to get out hunting. Guess I'll have to settle for shooting the target in the back yard for now.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 am

Ok...maybe a couple are... Today we had a 8 yard concrete pour. I told Rick, I don't want to also have a couple hogs to butcher, so we locked all the trap doors open and still baited the traps.
Ok, the pour goes pretty well today, We met at the ranch about 3:30 or so and grab the almost empty bag of gold and head up to Kealea Flats (it's a riding field,no need try to pronounce the name) we arrive and see all the corn has been vacuumed up, so we untie the door, and get it ready to set for real. I was putting the corn in the ABS elbow we use for a trigger method to let the door shut, when I heard something in the brush about 5-6 feet behind me,
I went and made a Psssst sound to rick..... and pointed over my shoulder.

Rick took a step back and motioned for me to come out and we would see if the hog would get in the trap.... Oppps too late !! a jet black hog appeared in the small clearing about 3 feet from the back of the trap, I just froze and didn't move, I figgered as soon as he saw me, He'd blow out of the area....... nope... he stood and looked at me, I leaned back so he couldn't see my face and peered at him under my arm.... Yeah I know, not very sneaky I know...
He's not scared or looking like he's going to bolt, just sniffing at me, the wind is from him to me.... He inches closer trying to get a whiff of me. Now, I'm worried he might bite me !!! He stops 6-8 inches from my leg, then just acts like "Yeah Oh well, no big deal" turns and walks along side the trap. The trap has a 4X8 sheet of plywood over the top, it serves two purposes, one is for shade when the hogs are trapped, the second is to help keep them from jumping out.
I peek under the ply and the the hog is in the trap half way of the door, Rick has moved back on the other side of the weeds. I just look at Rick with wild open eyes.... like I can't believe this.....
about a minutes goes by and the hog is just happy munching on corn in the trap door way, I look back a Rick and he says, "Want me to charge the trap and see if he will run inside?" I shake my head no, We'll just wait.... another 30 seconds I peek in...... and I see the door will just about close behind him but will just barely hit him if it closes, I slowly reach down and grab the rope to trigger the door closed, I look at Rick and Mouth, "This is unreal", then , I gave a small yank on the cord, the prop pops off the door like it's suppose to and........

The hog just stands there as the door bangs his butt, He steps forward and the door closes ...... Gottem !!!! I walk along side the trap the hog just keeps on munching on corn and high five Rick, That is unreal, caught a hog and wasn't trying too.
We called the Tahitian guy and said we got a hog, He said I just talked to Mark and he said the traps wasn't set, Rick laughed and told him the story, he said he'd be there in 15 minutes with the carrier.

When he got there we made a noose and roped the hog, Tiva went inside (that boy is crazy !!) grab the hog and lifted him over the trap side to me, We walked the hog to the transport box, with the hog, very very upset, inside he went and the door slide closed. We estimated the hog at about #60-#65 jet black. We walked back and set the trap and then we ran to get out of there before another one came in LOL

Tomorrow maybe we will have a few more. we shall see.

Some hog are smart some... not so smart !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby KsBow » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 am

PICTURES???
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am

I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll take it today..... just for you. If my friend goes, I'll have her take some video of the hog rodeo.

We were re-setting the traps. The last thing I expected was a hog to walk up sniff my pant leg then, walk in the trap.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm

We need to get some of those hogs for the ranch I hunted this weekend. I'm sitting in the ladder stand about 40 minutes before the feeder goes off yesterday morning and see a good sized boar come in, check for corn, not find any, turn around and walk down the trail away from me without giving me a shot. When the feeder goes off he comes trotting back in, facing the stand. A big sow with 6 piglets and small35-40 pounder come in and push the boar out, again without giving me a shot at him. The sow comes around and gives me a nice broadside shot. Just before I hit anchor the bottom limb hits something, I change the bow angle and try again. Same thing :evil: I hold the bow parallel to the ground and hit anchor :dance: and shoot right under the sow :eek: they run off but the piglets come right back in followed by the 35-40# one, but she is behind the feeder leg. Just as start my draw as she steps out from the leg the big sow comes around the brush where my arrow ended up and sticks her nose on the nock Whoof and the whole bunch is gone. :cry:
Oh, and I looked to see what my bow was hitting..........I forgot to tighten the leg strap of my safety harness and the buckle was sticking out too far from my leg :rolf:
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Mark, you need to start using the camera on your phone. :geek: :lol:

Dave, that sounds like my luck. :mrgreen:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 am

Ok, Wow, you guys are a tough crowd, I guess I trained ya well ok, here ya go.
Attachments
IMG_0407.JPG

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Having a tough time getting the video to up load off the computer...... but I have one !!! it's in a AVI mode so maybe that's it. even photo bucket failed to load it 2 times....grrrr :evil:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Greywolf wrote:Having a tough time getting the video to up load off the computer...... but I have one !!! it's in a AVI mode so maybe that's it. even photo bucket failed to load it 2 times....grrrr :evil:

i started using the download attachment option at the bottom of the reply screen. PB is a pain.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 pm

eddie c wrote:
Greywolf wrote:Having a tough time getting the video to up load off the computer...... but I have one !!! it's in a AVI mode so maybe that's it. even photo bucket failed to load it 2 times....grrrr :evil:

I started using the download attachment option at the bottom of the reply screen. PB is a pain.

I downloaded it too, but can't get the darn thing to do anything, takes 53 minutes to upload a 1:56 second video , then I get a &*%#^% prompt that says:
"Oppps.... something didn't click right,upload failed ....try again later"

Then I try the upload attachment from here and it won't do anything...... I selected the video and hit submit and went to work at 8:30 this morning, got home at 4:00 it was still uploading.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to The Trappers Den