#2?

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

#2?

Postby WOODSLORE » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I have been wantin to trap for years now, and i am finnaly about to start. in my region of PA i want to trap for racoons and coyotes. but i dont want to buy a bunch of different sized traps...... would a #2 longspring work for both? also if i get the chance can i use it for foxes?
"Nothing lives long but the earth and sky. So let us die as warriors should, bravely in battle!"
, Titus "Scratch" Bass
WOODSLORE
Spike Bull

Re: #2?

Postby Greywolf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Yep sure will. they have new raccoon sleeves out too. dog and cat safe. I used #2 for just about everything in Indiana, back in the 70s during my trapping years. course conabear for Muskrats.
Hole set works well for Fox too.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Buzzard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Yes, you could use #2LS for coon, coyote, and fox but there considered too large by modern standards. The premiere coon and fox trap today is the one and a half double coil spring and then a one and three quarter for coyote. I use the 1.5 in water set and the 1.75 for land sets because i never know if i'm going to catch a fox or a coyote. A coyote will destroy a 1.5, usually, and a #2LS or coil can grab a fox to high on the leg and injure it. Not to mention what they can do to a dryland coon catch. I do tend to go with #2's in freezing weather as they are stronger and break through the frozen ground better. Can you use snare's where you trap? We can here in Ohio and they are the cat's meow for all of these species!!! Hope this helps, Buzzard
Buzzard
Spike Bull

Postby kerryb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 pm

I prefer the dog proof coon traps easy and fast to set with great results, my son an i caught 200 coons this season with only 2 dozen traps, they are well worth the money imo, and i prefer a #3 offset for coyotes.
kerryb
4X4 Bull

Postby WOODSLORE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 pm

No in PA snares can only be used for coyote and fox. How common are #1.5 longspring traps? I have only two shops around here that carry traps so do you think they would have them or should I order em? Thanks for all the help! :campfire:
"Nothing lives long but the earth and sky. So let us die as warriors should, bravely in battle!"
, Titus "Scratch" Bass
WOODSLORE
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Here's a great place to buy Great prices, http://www.duketraps.com
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby chub83 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:22 am

what part of Pa are you from? I live in western pa
chub83
Spike Bull

Postby wormbobskey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm

If you try using a #2 LS on coyotes you will end up with more broken traps and fewer animals. I've been trapping all of my adult life (50 now) except when I was in the army. The #2 LS will work for coon and fox with pretty good success, but will not stand up to the abuse a coyote will inflict. You need something along the lines of a 1.75 or #2 coil spring with a few modifications done to strengthen the base and the jaws. Lamination the jaws and welding on a base plate will remove any unwanted flexing in the trap. Unless the trap comes with straight link welded chain remove and twin loop chain. You want welded chain on all your coyote traps. Also remove the thin, inferior swivels most manufactorer's install and go with MB crunch proof swivels. If using a single stake make sure its at least 24" long and made from 1/2" rebar. I use chained super stakes and they work flawlessly. You can also use double stake swivels and will have very good results with them. Hope this helps, Worm.
wormbobskey
Spike Bull

Return to The Trappers Den