duke traps?

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

duke traps?

Postby mountainrifle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 am

i am interested in starting a small trapline behind my house, and was looking at duke traps. are they good quality, or at least good enough? im not going to do it for money so im not picky.
thanks for any help
:)
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Re: duke traps?

Postby pintail_drake2004 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:44 pm

duke is fine. They will need a few mods depending on what you are going after. 1.5 coils for coons possums, skunks, should be fine. #2 for fox, yote and bobcats. We will weld a bubble onto the end of the trap jaw to keep the critter from pulling the jaws out of the frame. The #2 get jaw laminations to increase surface area, short chains, and extra swivels.
pintail_drake2004
Raghorn Bull

Postby trapperDave » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 am

Ive lost count of the fur Duke traps have held for me. They aint perfect, but some simple mods make em more than sufficient. And it dont hurt near as bad when the thieves take a few. I prefer the #11 for coon, especially on land. About anything works on em with a drowning rig in water. I use the #3 coils with offset jaws for beaver (targeting front foot catches), and coyotes.
Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Postby JakeLevi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

How would you guys compare Victor/Oneida/Dukes ?

I am not planning a real long line so will probably plan on spending more then I used to, of course they are all a lot more then when I bought my first. I have 2 doz Victor #2s, and several bigger ones.

I'll be looking for fox and coyotes.
Jake
JakeLevi
4X4 Bull

Return to The Trappers Den