Getting started after 35 years

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

Getting started after 35 years

Postby Stone Knife » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 am

I'm taking my son to take our trappers course, and was going to get back into trapping a little. Can anyone tell me if they prefer offset jaws to standard on a 1.75 dbl coil, We want to set for coon , fox and coyote. we will also make sets for rats using 110's. When I was growing up all we used were Victor traps, are they atill good or are the Dukes or other brands as good or better? Any help would be appreciated, after all these years I'm worse than a greenhorn.
Lead By Example
Stone Knife
Spike Bull

Re: Getting started after 35 years

Postby 2-BIG » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Most all brands of traps now days are good but like everything in life you get what you pay for. Some of the higher end traps are usually modified in some way so they are more expensive and the less expensive take some tinkering with right out of the box.
If you're in an area that has both fox and coyote then definitely go with a 1.75 coil spring. The off set traps are very good but you will lose coon if they happen to get in your fox/coyote sets.
There are very good trap stands for conibears that weren't around 35 years ago and they are very helpful or you could stick with the old prop stick method which works fine.
There are a ton of great videos/dvds out now on all kinds of trapping, trap modifying, and putting up fur.
Good luck and post pics when you get going! :D
2-BIG
Spike Bull

Postby trapperDave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:59 am

for coon, I dont want anything bigger than a 1 1/2 coil, prefer #11 double longsprings. grabs em by the paw v the leg= less pull outs. fox i use 1 1/2's or 1 3/4. Yotes I want a big STRONG trap. they will DESTROY run of the mill fox traps. I like a #3 Duke (with a couple mods) for them.
Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Postby JakeLevi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Great minds work alike, I am starting back in, for next year, after just about the same time, probably heaviest on coyotes and fox, I am moving this year to MT, so hoping for a good area.

Any reccomendations on new books or dvds ?

Theres an awful lot advertised in FurFish and Game.

I still have a couple dozen victor #2s ? I think.

Any comments on the padded jaw ones?
Jake
JakeLevi
4X4 Bull

Return to The Trappers Den