Info wanted

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

Info wanted

Postby Horner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Can someone tell me a good book to get to teach yourself how to trap???????? I have always wanted to trap, but know one does it much anymore. That is that I know anyway.
Thanks,
Horner
Horner
Spike Bull

Re: Info wanted

Postby pintail_drake2004 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Hey. I learned to trap by trail and error, reading, watching, listening, etc. It is more that just one method on learning. At 23 yo, i just finished up my 18th trapping season and I am still learning. Look into magazines (Fur-Fish-Game), Trapper and Predator Caller, American Trapper, etc. Get yourself a good video. Go to Minnesota Trapline Products (http://www.minntrapprod.com/) and check out the videos. I have had many different videos over the years and i pick up something new from each one.
Pick yourself up a few traps, watch the videos, read the magazines, and practice making sets (and disassembling them and doing it again) in the off season. Before season comes in here, I will go out a week or 2 before and practice making my sets that i use for different animals. I try to spend less than 10 minutes in any one location. Time=Money in this game. Learn proper trap prep methods, how to handle live game, how to dispatch humanely, what market are you going to cater too? Taxidermy, fur market, private sector, personal use, etc...

Any questions, give me a hollar

Pintail
pintail_drake2004
Raghorn Bull

Postby 2-BIG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:48 pm

The best thing that you can do is contact your state trapping association. These organizations are run by very dedicated folks that enjoy introducing people to trapping. Most likely the organization will have someone that lives near you that would be able to take you along on their trapline and teach you the ropes. Also there are lots of videos and books that are quite helpful. The easiest way to locate your state trapping association is to go to this site and do a little checking: trapperman.com
2-BIG
Spike Bull

Postby Wolf Among Dogs » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 am

Trapper and predator caller magazine is a great way to learn, they will have all the book and DVD resources in them as well as whats going on all over the country ! ..as well as fur fish and game !
~ If you arent helping to preserve the wilderness , youre helping to destroy it. ~
~Longbows forever!~
Wolf Among Dogs
Raghorn Bull

Postby Wary Buck » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm

I grew up reading my Dad's collection of trapping books, and for some reason the name S. Stanley Hawbaker stills in my mind. Cool stuff. He wants me to come over and help him with his stands tomorrow, maybe if I remember I'll ask if he still has those books.
Wary Buck
Spike Bull

Postby JakeLevi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:32 am

Both Hal Sullivan and Bob Gilstrip(sp??) have excellent books, advertised in Fur Fish and Game, probably on amazon too but I'd rather patronize FF&G. There is another one by Spencer. Those three will get you grounded, and good reading too.

What are you planning on targeting?

I am looking at Fox, Coyote and Coon.
Jake
JakeLevi
4X4 Bull

Postby bentlimb61 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:15 pm

You can pick up some great stuff on you tube, several very good trappers post videos on there.
bentlimb61
Spike Bull

Return to The Trappers Den