stationary hog trap

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

stationary hog trap

Postby woodsman1031 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm

I have seen some hog traps built that looked like a 6. They are made with t posts and panels. Does anyone here know how to make them?

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Re: stationary hog trap

Postby Okie » Tue May 19, 2009 4:56 pm

You got the right idea. Just drive your posts in a 6 pattern and attach cattle panels to it. Leave it so the hogs can push it open but it will spring back so they can't get out. We've tried them but had little success. We built some heavy duty ones with trap doors out of square tube and they work better for us. More mobile also.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 23, 2009 11:03 am

I like the move-able trap, I made two and if they quit visiting a area then nothing is caught. I've seen pens with guillotine style doors or just the simple gravity door. both work well.

only problem is with big pens the chance of catching 3-6 hogs increases, then ya have to deal with those hogs.

Here's a few pics of my small trap

It's a simple trigger system, put corn in the tray

Hog steps on the platform/trigger to get the corn, it pushes it down which pulls the lever down, pulls the door holding rod at the same time.

and the rod is pulled out of the keeper allowing the door to fall closed

Resulting in this................100 % catch

PORK CHOPS !!!!!

Plus it's real easy to move

You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 23, 2009 11:20 am

This is the bigger hog trap this is a "Keep on Catching" style trap

If you look close at the hog in the trap, you can see a spring style clothespin near his left ear, the trigger is simple, a small 3/32 dia cable runs bout a foot inside of the end of the trap it runs across the end along the side then over to the door, the clothespin holds the door open by just clipping it on, the hog walks around eating corn I've sprinkled in the trap, walks into the cable pulling the clothespin off the door and the spring pulls the door closed. after that...They just push the door open to get in with the other hogs the spring on the top pulls the door closed after they are in.

Sometimes I encurage them along some,I put my modified feeder above the trap on a rebar tripod, the feeder has a bottomless bucket attached to the holding bucket so when the feeder goes off all the corn isn't throw outside, it just falls straight down in the trap and feeds the hogs, The outside hogs see the inside hogs eating and they push the door open and help themselves....and me too :twisted:

And this is what happens when you get a real big mean hog !!! he makes a side door

I made this one to just fit in the bed of my 1500 dodge ram, it weighs just a touch over #100 but easy to carry with two people, kinda rough for one guy, but I've done it before.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Greywolf,

I like them all, but I really like the small one with the wheels!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Ahhh shoot I forgot to get a picture of the chain link trap, sorry bout that, I'm gonna go get a couple pictures for you, darn darn darn !! I hate when I forget to do something I promised.

I'm, gonna head out in a few minutes to get some pics for you,

The smaller trap is made from steel bed frame rails from the dump and the mesh I got from the concrete precast yard. it's just 5 ga concrete panel and welded into the inside, the door is same material hinged with a regular 3 inch door hinge, the top rod is tig rod for welding and the front rod is a all thread rod,(so I can adjust the travel) the hinged L is a welded screen door hinge with a piece of metal to keep it rigid. Not that I'm cheap and not buy materials but most if free stuff....So why not? they don't call me Mcgiver for nutten ya know !!!

Post some pics when I get back

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Just got back from a trip to the ranch, sure is dry over there this month, talked to a couple guys they have seen no hogs at all in the last couple weeks........... that can only mean the fruit is on in the valley. they leave the ranch for a month or so till the fruit is gone, then they filter back on the ranch.

Ok, now where was I ? Ohhhh yeah, the chain link trap here ya go tommy

Same stuff that goes around your yard, fence top rails gate and all

I didn't really know what to take a picture of so I did most sides and the trigger inside.

another solid side

There is a ABS elbow hanging on a string, the string runs up side, across the top and to a stick that props the door open. when the hogs eat or try to they push the elbow down pulling the stick out and the spring pulls the door closed.

the stick

and you see how well it's camoflauged in the field, I had to search for quite a while to find it :rolf:

Real simple but it catches hogs, big ones, little ones, baby ones. Kinda akward because of the size but just as heavy as mine.

You see the cord tied to the door? a guy was watchin the trap when I got there, it also catches chickens too, they go inside and he just pulls the door closed. or a hog walks in and he pulls it closed. Some of these hogs get bold, they will walk right up to the barn, eat the chickens cracked corn with the people standing there hollaring at them.

But funny thing, they have never done that while I've been there with my bow....Hmmm wonder why not?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Sat May 23, 2009 10:02 pm

sweet looking 'fence' trap! Thanks for the pics!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby woodsman1031 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Greywolf,

I sure appreciate you going to all of the trouble to get those pictures!

I have seen that concrete mesh at lowes before and it is WAY cheaper than cattle panels.

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 25, 2009 10:33 pm

woodsman1031 wrote:Greywolf,

I sure appreciate you going to all of the trouble to get those pictures!

I have seen that concrete mesh at lowes before and it is WAY cheaper than cattle panels.

Tommy

Yes Sir, it is cheaper and cheaper. What I mean by the second cheaper? The concrete mesh panel I used, is a Heavy 5 Ga panel mesh, the one at Lowes is like 10 or 12 ga wire, thinner by half. The cattle panels are $58.00 for a 50" X 12' panel. the concrete panels are $70.00 for a 8' X 20' panel.
Also Cattle panels have graduating openings from the bottom up. I like the 6" X 6" openings, it lets small hogs get out.
The smaller trap has 2 x 3 chicken wire on the sides and ends for smaller hogs if I need remove them.

Do a build along when ya make your trap.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 am

Greywolf,

I see what you mean by the guage of the wire. I have not built a cage as of yet, but I did go hog hunting yesterday. I did not see anything. It was raining and windy though. Have you ever seen hogs out in the bad weather?
I have not stopped by here in a while, because I have been over at Craftsmanship and Smithing trying to get a knife trade going.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1489

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:55 pm

woodsman1031 wrote:Greywolf,

I see what you mean by the guage of the wire. I have not built a cage as of yet, but I did go hog hunting yesterday. I did not see anything. It was raining and windy though. Have you ever seen hogs out in the bad weather?
I have not stopped by here in a while, because I have been over at Craftsmanship and Smithing trying to get a knife trade going.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1489

Tommy

Hogs are like humans, they dislike rainy windy weather, mostly because it lowers all the defenses, wind does away with smell and everything moves, which is their number one & two defense. With rain, they will come around but movement is somewhat slowed. I don't hunt in rainy weather, Mainly because it washes blood away.

Then again I've have hogs not come to the feeder on perfectly good days too. Hogs have all day to go no where at all. we on the other hand are limited by hunting times(in some states) ours is 1/2 hr before sun rise to a 1/2 hr after sun set.
And yes hogs can tell time :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Greywolf,

I guess we are lucky here in Tx. we can hunt hogs 24/7. I have a feeder set up with a 3 light malibu kit that comes on in the dark. I have a 16 foot ladder stand about 20 yards from it. The hogs will walk right into the blue LED light and eat corn. Getting there at the right moment is the key :D .

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:54 pm

I have a damage control permit, I can use any means to remove hogs 24/7. I've found that at night hogs are not bothered by a white bright light, I have a million candle power spotlight I use when they walk in right at dark, if I happen to make a noise while shinning the light, they run from the noise, not the light.
If they see you in the daylight they boogie outa there in a heart beat, but after the sun goes down I've walked to within ten feet of them with the flashlight on.

Just curious have you tried a red light or just a blue light? They seem to be spooked by the blue light, I have to make a shield to cover the LED light or it spooks them off on my compound bow.

Got any pics of the night hunts?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 am

I have tried to take pictures before, but my camera just wont pick them up. I have had hogs under the blue LEDs, but I have been researching a red light. Black hogs look gray under the blue light, its really cool. You may be interested in this site www.texasboars.com. Lots of great info on there. They say that hogs dont see the red light at all so you can just put a battery on it the nights that you hunt. That would be cool using a battery. with my light, if you have a cloudy day the light dies in a few hours or is very,very dim. Since they cant see it you can use an extremely bright red light powered by a 12volt riding lawn mower battery.

I am not opposed to hunting during the daylight, but the hogs are never out during daylight. My feeder is out in the open in a pipeline, maybe that is why they wont come out in the day light? Do you have any suggestions on how I could get these hogs out in the light?

I have spent numerous hours in stands over feeders out at my place deer hunting, and never seen a hog in 8 years. I have seen where they root up the ground and I have seen thier hair in the barbed wire where they come in. I have seen the "rut" of a trail, and tracks where they walked. I have even seen dried up mud on telephone poles where they rub. I never laid eyes on a hog at my place until I set up this feeder light. Some people act like hog hunting is for unskilled hunters, but I believe that a hog is WAY more wiley than a buck deer. I have hunted over that light about 30 times, but I have only seen hogs there 3 times.

Do you have any special recipe hog baits?

Tommy

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:47 pm

One thing I've found out about hogs is they like cover close. open areas are not good, now I've seen hogs rooting in open areas but set a feeder there they quit coming in........why? haven't a clue.
Hogs are Corpuscular (active early morning and late evening) But some roam all day feeding just depends on the area(cover) hot dry areas they wait till the cooler evening time, hot wet areas they will move all day.

I set my feeders to go off 2 hours before dark and 30 minutes before dark, this gives other stuff time to feed too, hogs being hogs will want their share first. I have hogs that will lay on the hillside and wait for the feeder to go off then storm the area. This makes it tough to sneak in.

What I do to get hogs to come in, dig a hole and put corn mixed with syrup and dry kool aid powder(strawberry is my hogs favorite) down about 6-8 inches deep fill it to almost the top and just cover the corn with dirt, sprinkle syrup covered corn on top of the hole. they will find it and this keeps hogs coming back just pour more corn only and kool aid in the hole and cover with dirt so birds won't get it. Here's the hogs from last night.

Small, but right now there is fruit falling in the valley on the other end of the ranch and across the road, so right now there's not many hogs. ebb and flow, next two weeks or so, they will be back and the reports of hogs all over the place will be coming in.

Cover and a food source seems to be the ticket, On days where I need to remove hogs I use the compound and or hog trap, days for me just hunting I use my stickbow. Some days we just relocate smaller trapped hogs so it keeps us in good grace with the riders and management at the ranch.

My recipe for hogs
Cover close to feeding area and a Mixture of. (any combination of the following pending what you have)

Corn
syurp
Molasses
Kool-aid powder mix
old milk
out dated vegetables from the market
fruits (our mango trees are in full right now)

Once they find the food source I switch to corn only....

Once you find them, have patience, I've seen the times I haven't seen a hog for 4-5 trips out, then all of a sudden 8-10 come in at once.
Remember one thing Hogs have all the time in the world to go no where at all , We are the ones with time limits.

>>---DW---> and I found some great sign in a area I use to hunt, Now all we have to do is convince them to come see us when we want them to, We'll try the hole method and corn first, then switch over to a early feed or just leave couple sprinkles of corn like something else beat them to it. will it work? donno we'll see if we are smarter then a hog, only thing I know for sure is................sure is fun trying !!!

Oh yeah hogs, are intelligent creatures... smell 300% better than dogs, and even have ( I supect ) ability for reasoning.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:12 pm

I think I am going to put up another feeder in a "thick" area on my property, where they have more cover. I already have a stand there that I hunt deer out of, but I have not used a feeder there.

It looks like in that video your feeder is a 5 gallon with a photocell. I used to have one of those about 10 years ago that I loved? The feeder I am using now is a programable one. It is set up to go off at 9p which is about 15 minutes after it is completely dark here. I have been looking at several brands that have large hoppers, but they are low enough that a person can stand on the ground and refill them.

If I get a feeder in this area it will have to be another 5 gallon or one of the models I can fill from the ground. This area I have in mind I cannot drive up to it to fill it up. I have a red, LED headlight that I think is a ray o vac. It is twice as bright as the blue malibu lights that I have on my feeder. I am going to try that light on a tree, and see if the hogs really cant see it before I purchase an expensive red light.

Well, I hate to say that this is the end of my 2 days off. I have to stop playing and go to work :cry: I can stay on the forum, but I dont have time to drive to the country on the days that I work (unless I knew a hog was waiting for me :D ) I would make time.

BTW: I read a little of that PM, and I will be happy to do it.

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Thank you,

The feeders I have are the Tecomante feeders(the seed company) which are no longer in production, the lady I talked to in Texas said they are the American hunter brand feeder just don't have the stickers on them. both are digital programmable, with wireless remotes on each.

I'd definatly reset the timer way earlier, the hogs know that the feed isn't there till after dark. They can learn that at 5 pm it's there too, deer will learn that too, along with the Turkeys and anything else that eats corn. The feeder at the "pit" is a swimming pool chlorine bucket with a screw on lid and it's water tight too. it's a larger capacity and will hold #50 bag of corn. I have my run time set to last for 3 to 3 1/2 weeks at twice a evening feeds. and if I'm there, I'll hit the remote a time or two to get a shot if needed.

The other feeder has a second bucket with the bottom cut out screwed onto the feed bucket to keep the corn from scattering, it mostly falls straight down. I have a method for my maddness, if they are close together they hook and jab each other, so I wait till a fight starts and then I shoot, so when the arrow connects, they don't know what happened, if it was caused by a hog or what, I've shot two hog at one sitting before using that method. Plus if I put it on a tripod over the large cage trap it will feed the hog in the trap and other hogs will push their way in to get food and get trapped as well.
I've had 6 nice size hogs in that trap before. I was butchering till 3 am, don't want to do that again.... :o

Ya might also get a wildview game camera, they quit selling them here, no one used them they went on clearence for $29.00 missed that sale too :evil: ....... then you can see what's, coming when.

hate to hear you also have to do that nasty thing called work................... :evil:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Here is a video of my set up. I have my stand between 2 pipelines that almost run paralell. The pieced of PVC strapped to the t post is my feeder light. I started thundering and lightning and then raining on me thursday morning. The hogs usually come out near the feeder on the opposite side of my stand.. Let me know if you think this is too far out in the open. I pan the camera around quite a bit, so I think you can get a goog idea of the location. I "bumped" the feeder to get some corn on the ground.

PS: I have had my feeder set during daylight, but the deer were eating up all of the corn before the hogs came out. I actually watched this happen several times.

JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:24 pm

I'd say you have the perfect set up right there! You got great cover, Some good open areas, but close cover too for longer shots if needed. I was picturing a cactus field with senderos cut in it baren land, dust blowing things like that.
If the deer are getting there first, I'd try the hole idea, maybe a flat rock on top so the deer don't dig it up. Hogs have got to get to know there's food there, course you don't know what's eating the corn after dark either........
Quote"PS: I have had my feeder set during daylight, but the deer were eating up all of the corn before the hogs came out. I actually watched this happen several times."
Sorry to hear you have such a deer problem... "Hey Mom!, can I go over to Tommy's to play, he's got deer"? :rolf:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 pm

I will tell you what is ironic with the deer, when deer season starts they become scarce! There is VERY little hunting pressure in my area, so I guess they just know its time to leave :rolf: .

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:25 pm

They know when It's season, they have calenders too ya know :rolf:

I put down some corn,mango's and stirred in some molasses in a new area >>>---DW--> and I are going to hunt, it got hit right away, it looks like a #60-#90 because of the partial tracks it left in the mud and the nit picky eating.

Before

After

Justa matter of time till I start, messinwithem 101 .... droppen stuff every other day,then two days apart, then everyday
So the hog(s) will start checking more to see whats up, then we start with the sweaty T shirts to get them use to human smell, so when we scent free up , a faint scent won't alarm them. Hopefully, we can get a Trad kill on video.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby woodsman1031 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:08 am

Sounds great! I hope you can post it!
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby woodsman1031 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Are you still messin with those hogs? I went out yesterday evening and sat there and sweat like a hog (no pun intended). I had muddy coon footprints on the barrel of my feeder :rolf:. It is getting miserable this time of year here in Texas, it is soooo humid! I think I am going to just keep the feeder filled and a trap locked open (when I get one) for the next 3 or so months. Archery deer season starts in October here, so I guess I will spend most of my outdoor sweating time practicing with my longbow.

BTW: I got to using my small stick welding machine (Cambell hausfeld) and I realize now that it will only weld SUPER thin steel. I thought I could just make more passes but it just wont penetrate very deep. Its is basically useless for me :oops: I need to get me an old red lincoln crackerbox to make a trap with.

I have not forgotten the picture request, I just havent seen any traps. I am sure it is because of the HOT weather. I am sure not near as many people trap here in the hot weather because of fear of leaving them in the sun too long. I know this would definately be an issue for me. I would not want to set a trap in this heat unless I was going to be able to look at it VERY often.

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!
woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:34 pm

We have the same problem here with the heat, but with the candy land you have (yeah I'm jealous!) I'd set it with the opening right at the edge of the tree line. lay in a couple nice hands full of corn in and around the trap and you should be catchin hogs real fast.
Hogs, once there are caught will thrash around in the trap for bout 3-5 minutes to try to get out, once they know they are caught they lay down and not expend energy. only problem with that is the kill shot to get them out. make sure you have a clear shooting lane. they do have a tendency to get excited when you walk up to them, you have removed their flight escape option, So now they will fight.
I've walked up as close as 5 feet before the hog woke up a realized I was there....... Then.. the rodeo started all over again

Nice thing about the Texas style trap that I made is it keeps on catching, which isn't a good thing on nights I have to work the next day.
My welding is a Sears wire fed mig, it has two settings, High and low, it will weld up to 1/4 inch steel or as thin as car sheet metal and uses Argon shielding gas.
You have other creatures to worry about, coons will climb and hang up side down and spin the feeder. but here we don't have small game, just mongooses, they are scavengers and meat eaters so no big deal.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to The Trappers Den