1st year trapping w/pictures

Welcome to the Fur Shack! Share your experiences, tip, and tricks.

1st year trapping w/pictures

Postby 702plmo » Mon May 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Last year was the first year my son abd I ran a decent trap line. In the years past we put out a few traps near the house and caught a few animals here and there. We obtained permission to trap and large farm a few mile from home. Here is a pic of some of the animals we got. We took a few mpre towards the end of season. We purchased a bunch more traps after season and cant wait for next season. Good luck to all. I am no professional trapper but learned alot this year, if anyone has questions fell free to ask.

702plmo
Spike Bull

Re: 1st year trapping w/pictures

Postby TradRag » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Hello... that is one nice 'yote! wow.. thanks for sharing! That is awesome!
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Pluck Yew » Mon May 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Pretty nice haul!! I think this forum may inspire me to try my hand at all the coyote around here... :ugeek:

Shawn...
GIVE 'EM THE BIRD!
http://edinburgharrow.com/main.sc
Pluck Yew
4X4 Bull

Postby DBerrard » Mon May 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Yeah, cool deal. Looks fun.
DBerrard
Spike Bull

Postby pintail_drake2004 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

good haul! looks like yall had fun
pintail_drake2004
Raghorn Bull

Postby mallard_drake85 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice catch, you're hooked for life now arent ya?!
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed!
mallard_drake85
Spike Bull

Postby trg » Thu May 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Nice looking furs, I don't have to ask if you are hooked your face says that, I would suggest caution and a lot of thought about each pic when posting trapping picks I think over the years we have provided a lot of pics that the antis have lifted and used against us, I am guilty of this myself.
trg
Spike Bull

Postby pappy177 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

trg wrote:Nice looking furs, I don't have to ask if you are hooked your face says that, I would suggest caution and a lot of thought about each pic when posting trapping picks I think over the years we have provided a lot of pics that the antis have lifted and used against us, I am guilty of this myself.

I'm afraid I agree , do not post critters alive and in a trap. Although a time honered and honerable way the extremiests will use it against us.
and by the way dog IS good eating , ate them in nam.
pappy177
4X4 Bull

Postby bobby leeper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 am

that coyote looks like hes madder n heck... hes or shes a biggun.. congrats and good luck ...and a question. do you know the best trap for a bunch of beavers.. theyve dammed up my creek down the way.
i don't care what god you pray to. what i care about is what he tells you to do, and who to do it to and with what weapon to use when you are doing it
bobby leeper
Raghorn Bull

Postby Stone Knife » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:23 pm

What size trap are you using on coyotes.
Lead By Example
Stone Knife
Spike Bull

Postby Wary Buck » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

I understand the cautionary advice, but I'm also conflicted a bit. Hear me out. If we so sanitize what we do, does that mean that we ourselves are embarrassed by what we do? I haven't trapped for 20 years or more, but seeing threads like these (plus the number of furbearers I do see while bowhunting) make me consider doing a little of it again. I would hope after 29 years of serious bowhunting that I would have learned some woodsmanship that might make me a better trapper than the one I was as a kid.

Oa few other sites, I have seen numerous photos like the coyote pictured here and if anything, to me they show that the trapping tradition is an honorable one and quite humane indeed. I guess what I'm saying is that the anti's already have enough stuff against us. Live animals in traps surely make them seethe, but they hate all our pictures. You can pose with dead animals, they don't like it. Pose with the furs, they don't like it. We can NEVER sanitize pursuits like hunting, fishing and trapping to the point where the animal rights activists will like it.

Obviously, we CAN police ourselves so disgusting images (to the general public) don't appear. But remember, even a fur coat is disgusting to anti's...and I'm done trying to sugarcoat my lifestyle for those who can't be soothed regardless. I guess I'm to the point in my primary pursuit of bowhunting that I will continue to use good taste with the general public, but NOTHING I can do will please the anti's and I'll be darned if I will even try to placate them. In fact, I almost enjoy it when an aggressive anti-hunter makes a comment to me as their arguments don't hold water and one can debate them with facts and reveal them for the hypocrites or morons or well-meaning but naive individuals that they are. More than likely they are used to us shrinking from the argument, and genuinely surprised and sometimes shocked and scared when we respond smartly and aggressively in return. When a non-hunter (different than an 'anti' hunter) asks a question or raises an eyebrow, I'll use a little more tact and explain things in a way that explains why we do what we do.

You may respectfully disagree with me, but quite frankly so long as the photos show good taste and minimize gore, I say publish them because they boldly show what we do, how we do it, and that done right, it is a very good thing for the environment and humane for the animals. My two cents...
Wary Buck
Spike Bull

Postby Jesse Minish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Cool pics!

Well said Wary Buck!
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby turkey522 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:08 am

Nice yote
turkey522
Raghorn Bull

Postby trapperDave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:54 am

great pics. Looks like yer raising that boy right!

bobby leeper, best thing I have found for beav is snares. 330 coni's are great, but one mistake and yer in a world of hurt. Had to get one off a friends dad's arm once...he drove 10 miles to find us, with a 330 on his arm. Size 3 or bigger coilsprings set on a drowner wire are great, but a lot of hard, heavy work ( I use a concrete block on the deep end)
Join us on my Facebook group...
Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
trapperDave
5X5 Bull

Postby mountainrifle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:35 pm

man ive always wanted to do some trapping, but don't have the time to do it right :roll:
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Postby pearsoncougar » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:06 pm

NICE YOTE!
pearsoncougar
Spike Bull

Postby dryball13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

wow that is a nice coyote i started trapping last year and got 4 muskrat
dryball13
Spike Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Congrats on a good season trapping with your son!
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby JakeLevi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:27 am

Nice first year catch ! Good luck next season.

I agree on the antis, the only way that we could make them happy is to die.

We are, not bull or cock fighting, we are doing what got this country settled, and harvesting animals that can easily overpopulate and do themselves out of food and habitat. We have nothing to be ashamed of.

The antis are the ones to be ashamed.
Jake
JakeLevi
4X4 Bull

Postby wagonwheel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 am

Fully agree Wary Buck I take great pride in my life style. Will not through it in know ones face but will not back down either. Just my 2 cents worth.
wagonwheel
Spike Bull

Postby jcporter@work » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 am

In my old age, I've decided that not being politically correct is easier and arguing with them is a lot of fun. Do like I do, invide one to a CWP class.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres
jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Return to The Trappers Den