Clam & Egg Sandwich

Share your cooking methods and tips.

Clam & Egg Sandwich

Postby Gatofeo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:38 pm

This used to be a common sandwich in the Pacific Northwest before World War II. Now it's almost unknown, except among a few old-timers. My father, who was raised in Tacoma, Wash., made my first Clam & Egg Sandwich in the early 1960s when I was a sprout.
It remains a good camping meal because it's quicly made, hearty and doesn't require many ingredients. If you like clams, you'll love a Clam & Egg Sandwich!

1 can of chopped clams, drained
4 eggs
Minced onions, 1/4 cup or so
Pepper to taste
Hamburger buns, 4
Butter, margarine or olive oil
Slices of cheddar cheese (optional)
Tartar Sauce (optional)

Drain the can of clams. if desired, save the juice (clam nectar) and mix it with a small can of tomato juice or V-8 for adding to your beer. Goes well with this sandwich!
Toast the hamburger buns. Cool, and put tartar sauce on each half.
Saute the minced onions in the butter, margarine or olive oil until translucent. Add the drained clams. Cook until heated through. Scramble the eggs and add them to the skillet.
Add pepper to taste.
Do not add salt! There's plenty of salt in the clams.
When the egg firms, form it into four patties.
Add the patty to the burger bun.
If desired, you can add a slice of cheddar cheese to the top of the egg patty on the bun. Place the sandwiches near the fire, or in a warm Dutch Oven, to melt the cheese over the patty.
Remove and eat!
It's messy, so use a paper plate, but that messiness is part of the fun of a Clam & Egg sandwich.
This recipe is a good basis for all kinds of variations: add chopped black olives, a little canned or frozen corn, minced green pepper, minced hot pepper, double the ingredients and add a can of drained shrimp for a Clam & Shrimp and Egg Sandwich, forget the clams and substitute canned shrimp for the clams -- whatever!
Serve with potato chips, potato salad, French fries, hash browns (a Clam & Egg sandwich is good for breakfast too), corn on the cob, etc.
And don't forget to wash it down with that red beer with clam nectar!

This is also a good recipe at home, for a quick, hot meal after a hard day at work.
Enjoy!
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment and metallic cylinders. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)
Gatofeo
Spike Bull

Re: Clam & Egg Sandwich

Postby Achillies » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 am

I like clams.I like eggs.I think I will like this sandwich. ;)
Achillies
Raghorn Bull

Postby stumpy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Mmmmm! Clams 'n eggs!! Brings back some memories. When I was a kid we used to go down to the Long Beach peninsula for razor clams. At least one breakfast was a razor clam egg bacon scramble with fried spuds. Works well with butter clams also. Will give the clam 'n egg sandwich a go. sounds great.
stumpy
Spike Bull

Postby justracey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:04 pm

I've never heard of this before but it sounds good.
St. Joe River Longbow
justracey
4X4 Bull

Postby mountainrifle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm not coming back to this board, this is making me hungry! :D
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Postby JMartin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 am

Yep....this sounds like something I'm gonna try.
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Postby stiknstringbow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:24 pm

I just got a couple limits of Razors this Sunday..will try this recipe tomorrow......
stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Postby Gatofeo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh ... razor clams.
I remember in the 1960s, vacationing at West Port and digging razor clams. Funny how the lowest tide, which is needed for digging clams, always came at Oh God Hundred in the morning, usually around 3 or 4 a.m.!
But Dad, Mom, my brother and I were there, with Coleman lanterns, looking for the tell-tale dimple in the sand. It was cold, windy and your toes were numb from the cold sand -- but the razor clams were delicious later that day.
What's the limit now on razor clams?
I can't recall what it was back in the mid 1960s, something like a dozen per person I think?
My folks always got a motel room with a kitchenette, so they could cook. I fondly recall the meals of fresh crab, surf perch, razor clams, salmon and oysters we had. Ironically, back then, mussels were untouched. They grew all over pilings and no one wanted them.
Mom, being from Europe, knew better and we had some wonderful pots of steamed mussels too!
Now I'm in the remote Utah desert. Clam digging is kinda hard here ... tide's too low. :mrgreen:
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment and metallic cylinders. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)
Gatofeo
Spike Bull

Postby Jaymo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I like most seafood. Clams and eggs sound pretty nasty together, but I'll probably try it anyway. It's not like clams have a strong flavor like mackerel.
Seems like a great way to get your protein.
Not so sure about combining my V8/Beer/clam juice, though.
Jaymo
Spike Bull

Postby Gatofeo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:55 pm

The mild flavor of clams goes well with eggs. I've also tried shimp and oysters, but oysters have too strong of a taste for this.
I'll stick with clams.
Incidentally, a small sprinkle of nutmeg goes well with clams in a variety of dishes. Nutmeg and clam flavors blend well.
I make an authentic Spaghetti With Clam Sauce and always add a little nutmeg. Just a tad. Most people don't notice its subtle flavor, until they're told there's nutmeg in there, then their eyes light up and they agree it adds a tiny side-flavor to what is already a wonderful dish.
No cream in Spaghetti With Clam Sauce: clams, garlic, white wine, olive oil, white pepper and fresh parsley, sauteed together and poured over a steaming bowl of spaghetti pasta. Toss it together and serve with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.
Hmmmmm ... guess I'll need to post this recipe too. :mrgreen:
Gatofeo
Spike Bull

Postby stiknstringbow » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 pm

CIMG1890.JPG
did you get some clams in the desert ?

It is time for digging here in Washington again.
Just wanted to suggest that the low tide is NOT the best time to dig.
In my experience, I get there at High tide, and follow the water line out, about 2 hours before low tide the clams will start showing.
You will get a limit real fast, if you wait, you end up walking along in the hordes of people searching for the "shows", but if you look back towards all the vehicles you will notice a line along the sand where there are a lot of holes.
I bring the who;e family, 5 of us, 15 clams apeice = 75 clams, usually takes less than an hour and we got to go clean them.
Attachments
CIMG1568 (640x480) (621x362).jpg
CIMG1568 (640x480) (621x362).jpg (194.01 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Postby Douglas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 am

During the Depression, when they were kids, my father and uncles used to walk down to the Tacoma docks just to watch the ships. If they had a little extra money, they each indulged in a Clam & Egg Sandwich.

Saute some minced onions in a little butter. Drain a tuna-sized can of clams and add the clams. Add pepper to taste but no salt! Plenty of salt in those clams. Beat a couple of eggs and throw them in. Scramble it all together, forming two or three patties.
Put a patty on a toasted hamburger bun that's had both sides coated in tartar sauce. You can add a thiin slice of sharp cheddar cheese if you like.
Enjoy! That's all there is to it!
Clam & Egg Sandwiches are good with fries and beer. It also makes a great late-night snack, or a quick meal while camping.
Don't like clams? Substitute with tiny shrimp.
According to my late father, Clam & Egg Sandwich was an old recipe in the 1930s. You won't find it in the Pacific Northwest, anymore. It's long forgotten. Everyone's gone over to fancy-shmancy dishes like salmon with raspberry sauce and such, forgetting their working man roots. But try a Clam & Egg Sandwich. I think you'll be delighted
Douglas
Spike Bull

Postby JMartin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:02 pm

OK....I added the cheddar cheese, and I added a little minced garlic (I LOVE garlic). Man I tell you what...that's one honking good sam'itch! I'm gonna try some other things and see how they work out. Great recipe, thanks!
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Postby david32cal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:04 pm

does sound good,might have to add a little hot sauce. anyone ever have a scrambled egg and pig brain sandwich,very tastey.
Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association, Member #277
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tounge"
david32cal
Spike Bull

Return to Camp Cooking & Recipes