Morel Mushrooms

Share your cooking methods and tips.

Morel Mushrooms

Postby Poggins » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm

My mother always cooked them in lard or bacon grease , she would just use flower with pepper and a little salt ( if she used bacon grease she would add only a small amount of salt) , the flavor of the morels are not covered up that way. Last night I tried using olive oil and canola oil , both of them covered up the flavor of the morels ( they tasted like the oils I cooked them in) . I even tried butter but didn't like it ,the butter tries to burn when you try to get the morels crisp and the flavor was a little to rich for my liking . I chopped four morels up and pressed them into both sides of a hamburger patty then grilled it , turned out pretty good .

Any other ideas for cooking oil that may not cover up the morels or should I just keep buying bacon.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Morel Mushrooms

Postby zeek from coon creek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm

It would probably be hard to beat good old bacon grease. My second choice would be pork lard. I will admit that I still use it for a couple of things. I won't fry chicken in anything else, I make my dumplings with it and I still use it for making pie crust. I've heard of a few folks finding morels around our neck of the woods, but so far I've found none in the ususal places I find them. I suspect that if it warms up after the rain we are to get Thursday they should pop.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Poggins » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

We used to butcher a pig or two every year and we always rendered the fat down ( learned at an early age not to eat too many cracklings ) and used it to cook with. I guess I'll get a box of bacon ends and peace's next time I'm in town.
The mushrooms are just starting to come up good around me.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 am

I always say, if you can"t use real butter or bacon why bother? ;)
Olive oil, Peanut oil, Coconut oil, etc. all have their place in the kitchen but it's hard to beat good old animal fat.
It"s natural ,and tastes good with everything ,and helps make pretty much everything you would want to eat taste good. :P

I'd go with the bacon grease just like your Mom did.

Wish I could find some mushrooms around here.

Donnie
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Billy I cook mine with butter and deer steaks. Never tryed them crispy. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Dianne, washes em, cuts them into relatively flat strips, dips em in an egg bath ( a few eggs and a bit of milk), then coats em with ground up saltine crackers from the blender, then into a hot skillet with regular shortening or bacon grease. Cook till nice and brown, turn and brown the other side.
I have to dip em in shrimp coctail sauce, (yuppy name for catsup and horseradish). I can make myself sick on em. Can never find enough to satisfy myself. Always enough to eat, but I could eat em for every meal. :applaud: You all try this and tell me what you think. You may want to keep it in your cooking arsenal forever. :campfire:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby campcook » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Thats got my mouth watering just thinking about the taste. Throw some of those catfish filets on the plate and I'd be in heaven. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 am

Guess I'm gonna have to wait on the "roons". It's back down below freezing here with a howling north wind. Wind Chill in single digits to below. Had two rounds of big hail yesterday evening. Winter won't let go around here. :campfire:
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Dug my coat back out today, wind took the top off my well house and I haven't had a chance to look at my barn yet. We had high winds , heavy rain and dime sized hail at my place .

Mushrooms are still coming up around here , I picked thirteen pounds Tuesday and a half a pound before I got wet yesterday after work. They are just starting to come up in the ceaders and heavy timber.

Also had to go around a big blackjack in my road , good thing I have a 4x4 .
Attachments
image.jpg
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 pm

The tree in my way this morning. I didn't flip the picture on my phone yet , sorry for the sideways pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Dang Billy, that's growin em in clumps. We don't see that up here. They're more scattered. Looks good to me anyhow. Looks like you were blessed with some strong winds too. My front yard looked white after the hail last night. I've got piles of hail on the deck in back that froze in place. Needless to say they aren't meltin today.
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 pm

The worst damage I have seen so far is the top of one of my beehives blew off and the bees were soaked , hope they make it , I put the top back on and seen a few bees moving around inside . I will have to look at them this weekend when it warms up.

You can't see it in the photo but a calf had stepped on some of the mushrooms but didn't hurt many of them.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:19 am

I'll second that "dang" of Ralph's, Billy. I've never found them like that in my old spots. The property was sold and I don't have access now and have only been able to find a few in recent years. I've always cook them like Mrs Diane. I hope your bees make it, might hurt our honey supply if they don't.

Gary
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:33 am

We find them like that every year, we put a lot of miles on our boots though.
When we find lots of mushrooms we cook them in the flower salt and pepper mix then fry them to the point of being done then spred them out to drain on paper towels , when they cool down we put them on a cooky sheet in the freezer till they freeze then in a freezer bag or vacuum pack them .
When we take them out to cook , we put them straight in hot grease and they come out crispy , we have kep them up to two years like that but after the first year the flavor goes down( when cooking a lot like this be sure you don't burn any or it will make all of the ones you cook after taste burnt if you don't change the grease) .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Okie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 pm

We have finally started finding several around here. My daughter fixed some the other night while my wife and I were at my sons ball game and she used Italian bread crumbs to coat them. I was kinda skeptical, but man was them good. I told her she was the designated 'shroom cooker from now on. I did fix some tonight with egg, milk and flour and they wasn't bad either. ;)
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Poggins » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm still finding them just not in large bunches like the other day , yesterday and today together I picked about ten pounds of them but I put a lot of miles on my boots to get that many. This is turning out to be a crazy year for mushrooms cold then warm then cold again, I found them in four places thick but in two draws I only found seven in each ( picked two pounds on my 40 acres this morning , it's been a good place every year). Hunting mushrooms is a good excuse to get out and exercise , a friend of mine has been drawn for an elk hunt and I told him this is a good way to get ready for it.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Camp Cooking & Recipes