wanted food dryer recipes

Share your cooking methods and tips.

wanted food dryer recipes

Postby robert n leeper » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:16 am

ill do this again..i have a nice dehydrator and can do venison, apples pears, etc. id like to do more with it. anyone have a special i can try??? :archer2:
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Re: wanted food dryer recipes

Postby Greywolf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 pm

I wanna get one of those and try makin some jerky, or something, are they worth it?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby robert n leeper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:41 pm

yes definitely worth every penny .. i got a g e dehydrator. i dried smokes venison last year, apples, pears,
pineapple rings and bananas. the jerky was the best est . salt, brown sugar and liquid smoke, 24 hours in the smoker and 36 in the dehydrator and i had a pound and 3/4 of jerky . i thought it would be more like 3 lbs but dehydrated removes a lot of moisture from the meat. still it was good. this time i want to dry some fish, herriing or trout or salmon...
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Postby forrest » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:49 am

If you like Watermellon candy take some watermellon slice to about 1/4 in deseed and dehydrate better, and swetter than any candy.
forrest
Spike Bull

Postby jmichelin84 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Greywolf wrote:I wanna get one of those and try makin some jerky, or something, are they worth it?

We have one i picked up at a yard sale for under 2 dollars LOL, i marinate the Caribou meat, all the old stuff we have lol overnight in what we call green seasoning, its all the spices from the Caribbean, and have a bowl of olive oil there i dip it in the oil before i put it on the racks and let it dry for a few days, it comes out not as moist and half as salt as the store bought jerky, although i may buy a few beef roasts and slice them after letting them soak in a bit of Jack Daniels whiskey maple syrup, altho id like to try the honey one they have out, i cant get it in my neck of the woods in Canada :P
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father
jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Return to Camp Cooking & Recipes