cowboy coffee

Share your cooking methods and tips.

cowboy coffee

Postby robert n leeper » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:03 pm

in your skillet pour two tablespoons of coffee into it and ad a cup and a half of water , bring to a boil, take off the fire for 30 seconds and back on to boil a second time pour and strain it in cheese cloth or mesh strainer into your cup... i use a gold mesh strainer ,,,it s good for a quick fix when you dont have a lot of time
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Re: cowboy coffee

Postby Greywolf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:50 pm

robert n leeper wrote:pour and strain it in cheese cloth or mesh strainer into your cup... i use a gold mesh strainer

Hmmm, and all this time I've been usin my socks........Clean for decaf and dirty for caffeinated :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby camocowboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:51 am

I've also heard you are supposed to drop a rusty horse shoe into the pot.
camocowboy
Spike Bull

Postby JMartin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 am

:shock: I bet that will keep you from nodding off in the stand.
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Postby mic » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

Read this in a Reg Darling book.

"Most people don't know that it don't take a lot of water to make good coffee."
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.
mic
4X4 Bull

Postby mountainrifle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm

just got my tetnis shot so i'll give the rusty horseshoe a try! :rolf:
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'
mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Postby robert n leeper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 am

rusty horse shoe is okay provided you had a tetanus shot recently. better yet add an egg to the mix ,,makes the egg taste funny all gritty and such, but you'll be wide awake for three days , wandering and mumbling about that deer you jumped on and it managed to buck you off before you could cut it's throat with your survival knife you made from a hacksaw blade and some camo duck tape :rolf:
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Postby Bowferd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Coffee's not done til the horseshoe floats!
Ponder the past, live in the present, dream of the future.
Bowferd
Spike Bull

Postby Gatofeo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I've heard that the old timers used to drop an egg -- still in the shell -- into their coffee pot as it boiled on the campfire.
They claimed that the eggshell smoothed over the flavor, and they ended up with a hard-boiled egg for the trail.
I tried eggshell, cleaned of all egg and membrane, in my own French press coffee-maker. They're right! The shell mellows some of the bitterness.
My French press travel mug has a compartment in its base for coffee, but I keep crushed eggshells in there. Add them to the coffee, pour in hot water, let steep for a couple minutes and then push down the plunger. Excellent flavor.
Try some clean eggshells in your coffee, and strain while pouring into a cup. I think you'll agree that the eggshell mellows the coffee.
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment and metallic cylinders. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)
Gatofeo
Spike Bull

Postby Jaymo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Never thought of the eggshell idea but it makes sense. The calcium in the shell will neutralize the acid in the coffee. Great way to improve flavor, and reduce the heartburn that sometimes occurs from drinking lotsa java.
I have a nice stainless steel percolator, Coleman I think, that I got on sale at wally world. I love coffee made in a perolator, even though I saw a show on food network that said that percolation is a terrible way to make coffee. Guess they think that frying is a terrible way to cooi chicken, or scrambling is a terrible way to cook eggs.
Jaymo
Spike Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:11 am

Adding a SMALL pinch of baking soda to the coffee grounds will do the same thing as the egg shell and is much more convienient. I use an electric percolator and it beats the heck out of an automatic drip maker. When camping I use an old blue speckled enamel coffee pot. Once the coffee is done just dump in a cup of cold water and the grounds will settle out to the bottom of the pot.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby JMartin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:57 pm

All my granddaddy ever used was an old blue speckled enamal pot. He would drop an eggshell in his to settle the grounds.
Percolated coffee is so much better than drip brewed, I miss it.
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Return to Camp Cooking & Recipes