Share your cooking methods and tips.

how should i cook my hog

Postby aspenarchery » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 am

how should i cook my hog
aspenarchery
Spike Bull

Re: how should i cook my hog

Postby Greywolf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:23 am

Same as any other pork. roast is great, slice backstraps into center cut pork chops, front shoulders in the crock-pot cook till the meat falls off the bone, in a sauce pan 2 cups BBQ sauce, 1/2 cup 7 up bring to a boil, remove and mix with pulled pork for all day sandwiches. Slice hind quarter into steak size portions(butterfly steaks) as the pieces get smaller.

It does have a tendency to be a little dryer than regular pork, as it has little to zero marbleized fat in the meat.

Which ever way you decide just make sure it's cooked thoroughly.

Enjoy and congrats on your hog kill.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Hutch » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 am

My absolute favorite is smoked. Slow cooked for about 12-14 hours with some hickory wood. Nice little dry rub on the meat. Put just a little water in the pan to keep it moist. Cover with some foil. Keep the temp under 250 degrees. Most delicious!!

Hutch. Enjoy
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby justracey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm partial to doing a beer or stout marinade then cooking it on the grill. This works well with your tougher wild hogs as it tenderizes the meat and reduces the gameness.
One bottle beer or stout, a couple TBLS. worchestershire sauce, one onion sliced up and a 3-6 pound hog roast is my recipe. Marinate at least 4 hours in the fridge. Heat your grill up screamin' hot. Take your roast out of the marinade but DON"T throw away the marinade. Sear the roast on the grill, only turn it once. Don't play with it. Then put the roast and marinade in a covered roaster together. I like adding a pound of baby portabello mushrooms at this time.YUMMY! Turn the grill down to low and slow cook, covered for 2-4 hours. It will melt in your mouth.
I've use this recipe for deer, elk and bear too. It's good for all venison.

Dang! Now I'm hungry.
St. Joe River Longbow
justracey
4X4 Bull

Postby Hutch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Man! That sounds good

Hutch
Hutch
4X4 Bull

Postby robert n leeper » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:04 pm

take a shoulder and boil it in rc cola for an hour then put it in the cooker cover with mustard until its done, pulls right off the bone and its so good...
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:13 pm

justracey wrote:I'm partial to doing a beer or stout marinade then cooking it on the grill. This works well with your tougher wild hogs as it tenderizes the meat and reduces the gameness.
One bottle beer or stout, a couple TBLS. worchestershire sauce, one onion sliced up and a 3-6 pound hog roast is my recipe. Marinate at least 4 hours in the fridge. Heat your grill up screamin' hot. Take your roast out of the marinade but DON"T throw away the marinade. Sear the roast on the grill, only turn it once. Don't play with it. Then put the roast and marinade in a covered roaster together. I like adding a pound of baby portabello mushrooms at this time.YUMMY! Turn the grill down to low and slow cook, covered for 2-4 hours. It will melt in your mouth.
I've use this recipe for deer, elk and bear too. It's good for all venison.

Dang! Now I'm hungry.

Yep I have a beer or two while I'm BBQing mine too, sounds like I just might have to try this this weekend

Sear on both sides? is bout what minutes per side? 10-15 minutes per side?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby justracey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 am

Sear both sides. Only takes a couple minutes per side.
St. Joe River Longbow
justracey
4X4 Bull

Postby JMartin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I can see right now I'm gonna have to smack me a couple of porkers, and try a couple of these recipes! :P
JMartin
4X4 Bull

Return to Camp Cooking & Recipes