Compost Black Gold

How many of you have one other than hunting?
Armand
Spike Bull
Compost Black Gold

Post by Armand » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 am

I have been laid off for a year now and watched my mother buying vegetables last fall to can, we used to have a garden years ago, so i decided to start over again and needed a break from shooting for a while so i built 3 40 foot compost piles and had a blast doing it, leaves, apple pumice and manure was there for the taking it just took a little sweat and labor, i would ride around and find the elderly out doing yard work and i would stop right in and join in and help them do the yard clean up, after i got started it seemed like it just took off, people dropping leaves and landscapers dumping leaves and i sat back and wondered if i needed a permit it got so big, a apple packing plant is about 10 miles from my house so i was able to haul all the apple pumice i needed to mix with the leaves and left 8 yards on the ground for the deer and whatever else needed to feed on all winter, you can see from the pic that they are huge and when you start at one end with i pitch fork the pile seems to never end, my garden is 50' x 60' right now and will probably only grow, i place my target at the base of the pile and when i miss i get to mix the pile a little while i hunt for the arrows
Attachments
Compost pile
Compost pile
Bear Archery Collector
http://www.facebook.com/paramadness

Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Re: Compost Black Gold

Post by Oklahoma Leatherman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 am

Nice looking place you got there. We do something similar here on our small family farm. That will be some of the best soil you'll ever have fun uncovering someday. Black gold is a great description of it. I throw a few small branches in with ours to help ventilate it.
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Post by Sneakon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 am

I love making compost and envy your project (maybe not all the hand work). Great job.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon

Armand
Spike Bull

Post by Armand » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:04 am

I sure wish i had a tractor to turn it, but i turn a little than grab my Bear and shoot some and turn a little, we are getting ready to plant plant soon and i will probably save this pile for next spring and really sweeten it up some, i really need to step up and cover it and tend to it and i should get a good 12-15 yards out of this pile and i have all summer to haul manure for next seasons leaves
Bear Archery Collector
http://www.facebook.com/paramadness