Got that sick feeling today

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

Got that sick feeling today

Postby Poggins » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 am

I got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach today.
I went to the Deep Fork river today near Wellston to do some bowfishing but didn't see any carp moving , did see some gar but didn't get an arrow in one and seen a flathead acting strange . The flathead was about a twenty pounder and it moved into shallow water for a few minutes then went back out to deeper water , what was strange about it is I've never seen one move out in the hot sun like that before .
I went down river about three hundred yards and came across three dead flatheads ranging from twenty to thirty pounds , I went further down and seen more almost twenty all together and some of them may have weighed forty pounds. The river has been flowing about three feet above normal until Tuesday , yesterday it was at about normal flow and slightly muddy and today it was green and the water is hot.
I did see some carp upriver from the hole I was at but didn't see any below the hole.
I've been trying to get ahold of the game warden but haven't gotten in touch with him yet , I will bee going a few miles above this hole tomorrow and I will get pictures of the dead fish and try to get answers to the fish kill .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Got that sick feeling today

Postby KsBow » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:00 am

Bummer Billy. Is there much water moving right now? :(
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby zeek from coon creek » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 am

That is surely a pitiful sight. I used to fish a neighbor's large farm pond and it was full of 5 and 6 pound bass. One hot summer afternoon I went over there and you could have just about walked across the pond on the fish floating. I litterally stood there and wept. It turned out that oxygen depletion killed them. In your case since it is running water I don't think that could be the cause. Sadly, given the fact that the water has been higher than it has been in a long time it is likely somekind of chemical contaminant that someone spilled (dumped) on the bank upstream.
Zeek;

"All things are difficult before they are easy." (found in a fortune cookie)
zeek from coon creek
5X5 Bull

Postby Poggins » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:25 am

Ralph , the river still has plenty of water.
I was on the phone with and sent pics to our local game warden all morning yesterday , he was in touch with others and they believe we had an algea bloom while the water was high ( Arcadia lake was flooded and it took a couple of weeks for it to go down) and had a lot of nutrients from runoff .
They said when the water went down and the algea died it starved the oxygen out killing the big fish. We hope it was isolated to the one deep hole and not more of the river.
Me and a friend of mine went to another hole about four miles up river to a set of falls and found live fish , they seemed to be doing good and hiting bait , we got a fifteen a twenty and a forty pounder (sorry no pics , I lost my phone and hurried back to find it while Mike cleaned the fish).
Here is what I found yesterday.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Looks like the turtles are eagting high on the hog though. Thats terrible Billy usually carp and catfish are the last to die. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 pm

The pics of the big cats are not a pretty sight, Billy. Austin and me have been doing some cat fishing lately. He wants to learn how to catch them. We've not had good luck.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 am

The big flats are starting to spawn now and late evening and early morning around rock piles , log jams , and boat ramps are good places to catch a nice flat or two using bluegill about two to four inches long.
Of you are after Chanel cats , I went to the Cimeron river the other night and crawfish and catalpa worms were hot for them , had a bunch of grasshoppers but they wasn't working to good.
Good news on the Deepfork , the fish kill did not affect all of the river , we have been going further up and noodling some nice flats , we got two twenties and I pulled out a thirty pounder. They are just starting to hole up and we have to block the holes tight because they won't stay and fight you out yet , we lost a couple yesterday .
Attachments
image.jpg
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Did the wildlife department have any idea what was killing the fish?Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:43 pm

They think it was an algea bloom , when it died it took the oxegen out of the water and killed the big fish first.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Fishing