fishing tips?

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

fishing tips?

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Wed May 22, 2013 3:15 pm

i guess i'm not a good fisher or someing i been fishing for a few years now and i've only been able catch a couple of fish i haven't really gotten into the expensive stuff b/c of my bad luck with catching fish. so i was wondering if anyone knew of cheap and usefull fishing tips to help out people like me who has a hard time catching fish ?

thanks for listening
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Re: fishing tips?

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Went 2 weeks ago, went for 4 hours...all I did really was hold the tailgate down and drank some cold beer.

I did get one bite, first mosquito of the year, he was big too ! :rolf:
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Thu May 23, 2013 7:01 am

first, what kind of fishing?
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 am

spinning / casting those are the ones i do most i fish for all fish
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 am

One of the best places I've found is the tackle shops and just ask, they are not going to give up their honey holes, but will tell ya what spinner or bait is working well.
Mepp spinners and smaller Rooster tails, and Beetle spins are always good, biggest thing is ya have to find the fish first. Big baits for bigger fish is for huge lakes.

we have a small stream here that hides up to #3-4 small mouth bass, have no Idea how they got here, but wading up stream is the best and and use high tight line and let the current work the spinner on it's own along the edges and behind large rocks where eddies occur.
One drop bait I found that works great is a 3 inch red worm, split shot about 4 inch above the worm to get it down quick, straight up and down jigging.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 pm

i mostly bluegill fish. I have found that real bait does better than fake bait. I use a bobber stop and hair jig with a wax worm or cricket on it. anything and everything bites it. we've caught bass, crappie and cats on it.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Thu May 23, 2013 5:08 pm

I agree with Eddie you can't beat nightcrawllers or minnows if you really want to catch fish. Live bait rules when your catching and eating. If your throwing them back then i use artificials. Match your gear to the size fish your trying to catch. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby eddie c » Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 pm

also WHERE are you fishing? rivers, lakes, ponds etc? the type of water makes a difference on how you fish it.
also a trout is less likely to hit a spinnerbait than a bass so you got to match your bait/lure to what you want to catch.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

What kind of rod and reel are you using? I wish I had a nickel for every fish I've caught on a cane pole. Worms work in fresh or salt water and I've caught eight pound strippers on a cane pole so you don't need expensive equipment to catch big fish. So tell us where you been trying and what kind of gear you got and we'll start from there. Something isn't right because I've never gone more than a hour two without catching a fish if there are fish where I was fishing. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Fri May 24, 2013 6:04 am

cheap Shakespeare casting rod 5' and a Shakespeare spinning rod 6'3" the bait i use is the cheap artificial bails , i don't normally have the money for the live baits places i fish are mostly rivers and small lakes basically any water spot with in 10 miles of walking distance i have no car or drivers licenses
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby eddie c » Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 am

one reason I use wax worms is their are more heat tolerate than crickets or worms. plus if the jig set up is right, I can catch 3r4 'gills to one worm. you can store them in the refrig between trips, put them in a cloth bag with newspaper or plastic tub with air holes.
my set up is usually hair jigs. I like the lightweight ones that can be used for fly fishing. I found out from a ol'timer that the 'gill will most of the time get hooked in the mouth/lip with this setup and you can take them off easily vs they will swallow a cricket hook 50% of the time.
first thing I put on the line is the bobber stop. I like the string type. i cut the ends a little long so I can grab and tighten them when they work loose some. next is the bobber. I use small narrow bright ones. less drag when they fish pulls, less likely to spook and spit the hook. then I tie my jig. most of the time i will use a black one. most flies and bugs are black or brown. if it is a bright day and it is slow biting, I may switch to a bright color, if the water is clear. they say dark colors work best on cloudy days and in stained water. most of the jigs I use are not heavy enough to pull the line thru the slip bobber so I add just enough spilt shot weight to get it to pull thru.
next I figure out how close to the bottom I want to have the jig. this part is trial and error to figure out what the fish want or what level they are hanging out at. I usually have the split shot about 4" above the jig. if the bobber is lying on it's side the split shot is on the bottom. I will raise the the bob stop 12" to put the jig about 4" off the bottom. I want the fish come up to the bait and to pull downward. if the bobber is moving side ways the bait is close the the bottom and they can run a ways and disturb other fish. if they pull straight down and I can pull straight up as possible, maybe I dont disturb the others too much and catch them too. otherwise they will scatter and take a few minutes for them to come back.

clear as mud?
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Sat May 25, 2013 1:12 pm

yes clear as mud thank you for your help its greatly appreciated
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Just set down from a morning of ocean fishing, had 3 dunking rigs and one slide bait rig today. caught 3 sharks and 4 Papio (same as Crappie but salt water) those were caught fly lining Ika(squid) slivers, kinda small so they are moving back into the area, sharks were about 22-24 inches long, plenty of shoulders on them, they don't seem to head shake any more, so ya never know what's on the line.

All in all it was a good morning....

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby campcook » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 pm

I grew up in Maryland and we caught our worms in the yard. I cut the grass watered it for a couple of hours before dark. Waited until after sundown then with a flashlight and coffee can went out and caught the worms crawling out of their holes in an hour or so I could easily catch 12 dozen worms. We would catch minnows at the river with a seine. I never bought worms until I moved to Oklahoma but even here you can rake around in the leaf litter and find red wigglers (worms). So live bait can be really inexpensive if you catch your own. As for cheap lures catch Walmart clearance aisle look for crank baits on sale and red nail polish I've found that a little stripe of red near the head of lure really makes fish attack a bait so you can improve a lure for just a little investment. What state are ya fishing in. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 pm

i'm in roscommon michigan
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby campcook » Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Well there's plenty of tasty fish in your home state. Try a red and white tube jig with a curly tail grub behing the tube that should attract bass, crappie, walleye, yellow perch or maybe even a pike. Mepps spinners size 0. I like small crank baits because some of the fish I like eating have small mouths I,ve caught plenty of four pound bass on a two inch minnow. Lakes and rivers try early morning late evenings most ponds fish seem to always be hungry. Good Luck good fishing. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 am

thanks ill have to try that
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Yesterday, Iw as lucky enough to catch and release 2 Bonefish one was about 24-26 inches the other was 20-22 inches.

It was a fun day, little windy, but hey I got 2............ Yahoooo

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Heartless_L'Cie » Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 am

nice size fish you caught good job so whats new in the world of fishing ?
Heartless_L'Cie
Raghorn Bull

Postby newworldmonkey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello,
In general, the easiest way for a beginner to catch fish is with a night crawler fishing from the bottom. Tie your line to a three way swivel. Tie a foot long piece of the same line onto the second swivel eye which goes to your hook. Tie a lighter line of about a foot and a half to the third eye for your sinker. The purpose of the lighter line is in case you get a snag you will only use a sinker instead of your whole set up. (another method of sacrificing your sinker is to tie on your sinker with a weak square knot)
Learn to tie a trilene knot. Always have good knots and line from your reel to your hook! Use around a size 6 or 8 hook. Also, make sure your drag is set. Your reel should release line before your line breaks. So if you are using 10 lb test line, your reel should start letting out line at about 6 lbs of pull. When reeling in a fish, your pole should always have a bend in it and not be allowed to be straight. A straight pole means that there is not tension and the fish can get off.
Cast your set up out, lean you pole up in the air, and take out the tension. When the fish pulls, set the hook, unless you are using a circle hook.
Hints:
-if you are fishing for cat fish, put two or three night crawlers on your hook. More worms mean more smell and more vibration.
-Use two poles to double your chances.
-game fish prefer minnows.
-Don't let it sit more than 30 minutes.
-After mastering this system, move on to lures. I spent an entire summer as a teenager using only a dare devil spoon. I spent a long time learning a rapala, panther martin, Mr. Twister, and so on.
Good luck and have fun!
Doug
newworldmonkey
Spike Bull

Postby newworldmonkey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello,
In general, the easiest way for a beginner to catch fish is with a night crawler fishing from the bottom. Tie your line to a three way swivel. Tie a foot long piece of the same line onto the second swivel eye which goes to your hook. Tie a lighter line of about a foot and a half to the third eye for your sinker. The purpose of the lighter line is in case you get a snag you will only use a sinker instead of your whole set up. (another method of sacrificing your sinker is to tie on your sinker with a weak square knot)
Learn to tie a trilene knot. Always have good knots and line from your reel to your hook! Use around a size 6 or 8 hook. Also, make sure your drag is set. Your reel should release line before your line breaks. So if you are using 10 lb test line, your reel should start letting out line at about 6 lbs of pull. When reeling in a fish, your pole should always have a bend in it and not be allowed to be straight. A straight pole means that there is not tension and the fish can get off.
Cast your set up out, lean you pole up in the air, and take out the tension. When the fish pulls, set the hook, unless you are using a circle hook.
Hints:
-if you are fishing for cat fish, put two or three night crawlers on your hook. More worms mean more smell and more vibration.
-Use two poles to double your chances.
-game fish prefer minnows.
-Don't let it sit more than 30 minutes.
-After mastering this system, move on to lures. I spent an entire summer as a teenager using only a dare devil spoon. I spent a long time learning a rapala, panther martin, Mr. Twister, and so on.
Good luck and have fun!
Doug
newworldmonkey
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 am

Or just pitch a 1/4 stick of...... oh wait.... We don't do that any more. :eek: :rolf:

Actually one of the best times I can remember was when I was 16, new drivers license and man, I loved to fish, well during the summer break, mom worked, so yeah you guessed it I had to watch my bra,,,errr little sister. so, I decided I'll kill two birds with one stone.
she would go fishing with me (4 poles) yahhooooo then I would take her over to her girlfriends house let her stay there till 15 minutes before mom got home.
So I packed up my 4 zebco 202 combo sets and headed out to Aqua Gardens. I had a 20 oz can of Libbies whole kernel corn, an opener and a cold soda pops.
we were there about 10 minutes when the first line ran... it was peeling out like it was attached to a freight train, I click the reel into gear and hauled up, the rod surged forward and the fight was on,
the reel drag was clicking like crazy (for those of us old enough to remember the zebco reels) after 10-15 minutes the bright yellow belly showed of a worn out great fighter. I lifted it out of the water and got a quick weight #14.2 oz

Then I set him back in the water and it slowly swam away, I turned to see smiles from my sister..only to see a scowl and the dreaded words ok can we go now? NOOOOOOO

I said you promised... she sat down and pouted, I said Sis you said we could....Oh !! the 3 line went tight and the tip bounced as the line was going out, I was in my glory... I picked the rod up pointed the rod click the reel in gear and again hauled up... well it's not as hard as the first but still a good fight.. 4 minutes later and a #8 pound carp was swimming away... What a great day this is going to be...... Not. that fantastic thought was speared by the shriek can we go now? Sis you said... yeah I know what I said but I don't want to fish !!! I said ok, tell ya what the next line that goes out is your fish..Ok? she said then can we go? Knowing it was not going to end I said yes, then we can go.

She smiled and said give me a quarter for a cold soda pop... I dug in my pocket while silently praying the fish would stop biting for a while...
A couple minutes later she came walking down the hillside down to the water plopped down next to the me and said, are they biting....? I said no but they sometimes take a break.. so we sat there, I guess my prayer worked, cause nothing bit for about 20 minutes.

As we sat there, her totally ignoring me, I saw my best pole start to jiggle up and down, and seeing line being stripped out, I knew this was a good fish, darn should I take it and not say anything? I said one's one is hers..... here I'll set the hook for you, I picked up the rod, turned the crack and set the hook. The rod was darn near jerked out of my hands as handed her the pole...(with wondering regrets)
She walked along the edge of the water as the rod was bent darn near double. Yeah you guessed it...... I handed her one the the bigger fish of the day. I was guiding her with keep the rod tip up keep the line tight, reel and pull up you know, that 16 year old expertise stuff... when I noticed that the line was noticeably higher than my 6 foot frame.
I looked up at the line it was 3 feet over my head... what the......
turned to see my sister with eyes as big as two eggs.... she was walking backwards up the hillside..... I said come back down here.... what are you doing?
She walked back down beside me, The fight was on we were into the well past 10 minute mark, and it showed no sign of coming in.. &^%$##@ what did I do? Gave her a big fish is what the %#@*# I did !!!
A few minutes later she was gaining the upper hand and the line was at a greater angle in the water, she was winning !

A few more minutes of giving and taking line the B....B.....BI.....BI...BIG fish came to the surface and rolled, It was HUGE !! The tail was at least 11-12 inches across...
Yep we are talking HUGE FISH !!
As it rolled on the surface, I again noticed the line, now I'm no geometry whiz, but that angle wasn't anything close to what it should be....... again I turned to see.... wider eyes....... and walking backwards and faster up the hill.
This was the first time she was having fun !! I motioned for her to come back down the hill...
She came back down the hill beside me... it was about now, I realized all the other people... Where did they all come from? They came to watch the little girl catch my huge fish !! HEY.... that's my fish!

But they were having none of it, the little girl has a huge fish on. Another 2 minutes and someone handed me a dip net. I netted the huge carp. She was so excited, Yeah I was a tad bit jelouse and humbled and YES mad too.

They all gathered around her and she said, my brother hooked it, he just let me reel it in. OH Wow ! What a kid ! We got the scale out, and it only went to #25 and it pegged the scale. One guy took the scaled bounced it a couple times and said, bout #28 or #29 I'd say. She was shaking with excitement and almost ready to cry at the same time.... We released the fish to fight another day, She smiled at me and said....... Now can we go?

I smiled and said yeah, You bet we can. We rolled up the gear and headed over to her friends house.

Oh... and if you think... She ever let me live that down................. YOU ARE SO WRONG !!!!

I guess the moral of the story is, You don't need fancy equipment, a big boat, you just need a little time, some water, some gear and a desire to enjoy the day.

I coulda told you about the day I caught the #109 Marlin, but I wanted to share one of the best fishing trips I've ever experienced.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:22 am

Too cool, Mark! That's a great story.

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull