A good day at the river.

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

A good day at the river.

Postby Poggins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 pm

I went to the river today and took my short bow with me . The day didn't look promising at first , the creek that was full of carp yesterday was empty and the water had cleared up. I went on down to the river where a pair of geese protested me before moving off.
There wasn't any fish moving close enough to even think about shooting so I went back to the pickup and put my bow away and got a sack out fore mushrooms and went looking. I managed to fill my sack up in about two hours , got around five pounds of fresh ones, I think this will be the week they come up strong then they will slow down for the year hope I'm wrong.
After getting back to the pickup I noticed the creek was backing up , the rain we got the other day was getting to my stretch of the river. I got my bow back out and went back down by the river to see if the carp was back. After standing on the bank for about ten minutes I could see four carp basking close ton the surface letting the current carry them back into the creek, my first shot was just in front of a big carp and they scattered . After about fifteen minutes they came back in , one of the big ones drifted close and I took my shot connecting high on it's back stunning it so there was no fight, the rest headed back to the river leaving the water muddy.
It took over thirty minutes for the next fish to return , this time a big grass carp. The grass carp stayed just out of range for a while, then it went to deep to see it any more . After a few minutes I noticed something moving close to me , the grass carp was feeding on some trash hung up on some weeds at my feet his head almost out of the water giving me an easy head shot. The arrow hit just where I was aiming but it did burry the barbs on the arrow, guess they are very hard headed. I tried to get him on the bank before the shock of the shot wore off but he came too and just about got me with the arrow. After getting free he went deep and I thought I lost him , after a couple of minutes he surfaced out a ways and I knew I could get him , I had to wait for him to drift close enough to get a shot and I retreaved my fish. I waited over an hour and no other fish came back so ending a good day.
100_0122.JPG

100_0125.JPG

100_0119.JPG
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: A good day at the river.

Postby 4finger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 am

Looks like it was a Great Time...Congrats...4finger
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby eddie c » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

I've had trips where I would have been happy to see a fish. that looks like a good trip to me. :applaud:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

Good hunting Billy!!! :applaud:
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:37 am

Yep, sure looks like a great day at the river.

Congrats.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Okie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah, looks like a great time. Lots better than my day at work! Wish I could have been with ya.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Poggins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks every one, I'm looking forward to another day like that soon.
What made that day real special was it is the same land where the osage was harvested that the bow was made from, just wish they could have been deer or hog but I don't get to hunt this peace of land just fish pick mushrooms and harvest an osage tree from time to time. Some day I will cut a pecan or hackberry on my own land make it into a bow then take a deer on the same land.

I will post a picture of how I have my arrow set up later, an old man was bowfishing on Deepfork river back in the eighties and showed me how he was taught when he was young. Where I was using a fiberglass arrow he had a wooden one , his line was tied to the shaft about four inches from the tip and his point was a practice point with a small nail brazed on it for a barb. He did not use a real on his bow , he took a length of line about fifteen to twenty feet long and attach a small jug on the end or anchor it to the bank. He the took the line and pinch it between his little finger and ring finger he did the same twice more between his other fingers and ended up with two or three loops , the first would almost touch the ground the next loop was not as big and the last loop a little smaller , if you do the loops backwards small to big the back loops will twist around the others. The line is held just enough to keep it off the ground and is held in the bow hand. Caution should be used shooting this way , the loops pinched in the fingers are not under them just barely between them , if they get under the fingers your bow will go for a swim ( never seen the man loose his and haven't lost mine ether , I have forgotten to push the button on reels before and ether lost arrows or dodged them when they came back at me).
When he got a fish he simply untied the line from the jug or bank and pushed the arrow on through pulling the line with it .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 pm

You had a good day there, Billy.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 am

Poggins wrote:I will post a picture of how I have my arrow set up later,

I'd sure be interested in seeing that!

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am

Just don't get much better Billy. A sack full or roons and a couple of nice fish taken with a bow you built for just that purpose. Yep, from your picture, I'd take it, sunny, warm, and out in the wild. Good Stuff. :applaud:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Ralph , Winter Hawk , I'll get the pictures when I get a chance, I'm running my mother around today ( we do whatever we can for her , if she wants to go somewhere or needs something done we are there for her) so it may be this evening .
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I'd like to see that too Billy. You got a good recipe for carp. :rolf: Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby KsBow » Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 am

Scale em. Stuff insides with a carrot, an onion, a couple of small potatos. Salt and pepper. Rub real butter over the outsides. Place on a hickory shingle. Cover with foil. Cook on gas grill or over charcoals till you have a nice glaze on the meat. Uncover, remove carrot, onion, and potatos. Throw away carp, eat the veggies. :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
Building Bows, Making Friends, and Making Memories
At Large Representative-OSS
2014 OSS Hall of Fame Inductee
2015 OSS Master Bowyer
Past President Kansas Bowhunters Association
Current SW Rep KBA
Member BCO
KsBow
Imperial (7X7) Bull

Postby Poggins » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Ok, I stopped long enough to try and take a couple pics of how I hold the bowfishing line ( kinda hard to hold the camera far enough away to show how I'm holding the bow and line without loosing the line or arrow ).

first photo is the line in my bow hand , the line is just in between my fingers.
100_0128.JPG

the second photo shows how it looks when my bow hand is closed.
100_0126.JPG

and the jug between my feet and the line hanging from my bow hand.
100_0130.JPG

I'll try and get more pictures when we go fishing again ( every one has been busy lately).
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Another carp recipe : go bow fishing , shoot some nice big carp , get a pig or if you already have a pig feed the carp to the pig , later eat the pig.
When we used to have pigs we fed all the carp we got to the pigs.
Or you can burry them in your garden and feed your vegies. :lol:
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

So you only use twenty feet of line Billy? Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Poggins » Mon May 13, 2013 5:39 pm

On this setup right now , you can use a longer line you just have to watch your loops or leave extra on the ground by the jug . The creek I was bowfishing in isn't that wide so I don't need a lot of line there , if I use the jug I have a rod with a treble hook on it to catch the line and jug with or have a boat , just on the bank I use a stik that I drop the loop in the end of the line over ( I have put it on my belt when I'm moving around a lot, just don't try any long shots ).
When me and my brothers and a friend of mine get together and go fishing I'll get some more pics.
Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby campcook » Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm going to give it a try. Been looking at my self bow for a while trying to think of a way to attach something that wouldn't throw the bows balance off. Thanks Billy. Alex
campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the photos, that makes sense now. I also don't want to be adding "stuff" to the bow, this looks like the cat's meow to get started bow fishing.

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Fishing