fly fishing

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

fly fishing

Postby eddie c » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:41 pm

is anyone here a serious fly fisherman? or fisherwoman?
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: fly fishing

Postby Greywolf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Funny you should ask, there is one fellow here, who is a carver and a fly fisherman,We have Trout on the Island of Kauai, because of the 400 Plus inches of rain each year some of the streams can support trout. So we have a small Trout unlimited chapter here.
I got in touch with him and we are suppose to meet tomorrow and go "flatting" Walking the reefs and sand flats we have here. He sold his boat so we are breaking out the canoe to head to Tri-angle flats next to the harbor for some bone fish action...Or attempting to get a couple
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 am

here is the situation. a friend passed recently and left a bunch of fly fishing gear, tying equipment and etc to his girl friend. and it isnt cheap stuff. i told her i would help her figure out the best place to try to sell it and was wanting suggestions other than ebay or craigslist.
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:31 pm

IMHO, Both are a crap shoots. Sometimes people use Craigslist to "Just get rid of it" and Flea-bay, is some junk that people want allot of money for.
If your going to do eBay, Do a google search for the makers of the rods and reels, Some are treasures and will bring high dollar, but put a reserve on it when that's the case. If it's a excellent brand,the people in the know will know. The cheap seaters will not bet because of the "Reserve" is the only problem. Remember she's not going to retire and live off the sales proceeds but it does need to go if she don't use it.

St Croix, Orvis, R.L. Winston, Sage,Thomas-Thomas, FTO, Lamiglas are a few of the better rod names and command a higher price. unless they are custom made rods, then they are only as popular as the known name of the maker,
Like a Sarrel bows costs less than a Adcock bow, bows shoot about the same,quality is the same, But you'll pay a higher price for the ACS name.

Maybe putting them in Bait shop for sale might be a better choice,if they allow that in your area?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:47 am

Until I saw the post on the situation I was going to say "Not this close to deer season, fishing is what you do when you can't go hunting"
See if there is a Trout Unlimited or other fly fishing club in the area and check with them for a local buyer. But as Mark said, a lot depends on what she has. Could also post some pics in the classifieds here.
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Check out some of the prices on a Local big box is selling flyrods for....
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/f ... t104764680

Allot of the rods I mentioned are for sale here... some big bucks !!!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby eddie c » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:16 pm

well, it looks like we are going to check into a Wounded Warriors program that involves fly tying/fishing for the stuff we dont sell. here is a few pics of items we have.
PA270003.JPG

PA270003.JPG

PA270010.JPG

one of the reels and 2 spools(3 spools total) are USA made, the rest overseas. I didnt take a pic of the 'wally world' reels. also have a brand new never worn vest with stats and line cleaner pad in a men's small or meduim.
there are a bunch of hooks, bobbins, feathers, etc. one buddy stated there is a 'lot of small money stuff, nothing really high dollar'.

Eddie
Attachments
PA270011.JPG
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby FullDraw » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 am

There's a fly fisherman on here that goes by 4finger. I don't think he has been active for a while, but you might try to send him a PM asking for advice.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to Fishing