Time to go...

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

Time to go...

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:34 pm

drown some dead squids. It's Friday and I need to go fishing. Most of the work can wait till Monday and if not? well then it'll have to. Raw squid cut into strips is what we use here, or Taco, which is the Hawaiian word for Octopus.
Cut a leg off, run a Circle hook through the big meaty part and cast it out and wait. Sometimes ya get lucky.... sometimes ya drink a lot of beer.... just waiting :applaud: either way it's a good way to wind down the week.

One neat thing about fishing in Hawaii, you either catch something under #5 or over #50 :eek:
Every one have a safe and great weekend.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Time to go...

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 am

Well all 7 of them were under #5...... actually under a #1 4 Papio 3 Hammerhead shark pups and a nice quiet evening sitting with a friend of mine, telling stories and catching up on things since our last fishing trip.

All in all was a good evening... I got some pics I'll post later.

Time to hit the rack, daylight will come real early tomorrow morning.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Olschool » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Glad you could get out and unwind. Always good to get a line wet, if you can't go stick something ;)
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Did you catch anything edible? Is there such a thing as a Taco Taco? :D
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:16 pm

3 Papio sorta like the crappie of the salt water. but they were just under the limit size wise.
Taco is Octopus in Hawaiian, So yes, it you process it (beat the legs soft) I suppose you could make a Taco Taco :applaud:

Unless you really score big it's more of a good time to kick back relax and drink a couple of cold ones and let the night come slowly.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:12 am

I know it looks small and yes, it is NOT a legal keeper size fish. But this kind of Papio (see the stripes?) this is a White papio, after it gets to #10 and over, it's called a Ulua. Then it starts a huge growth spurt, It can weigh as much as #200 plus pounds in 5-6 years. #90 to #120 is common around our island, larger fish are more common around the big Island where cliffs limit access to shore fishing.
My biggest to date so far was #92 taken on a military base back in 1992.

This was the icing on the cake friday evening along with two other kinds of Papio and the couple of Hammerhead sharks.
Attachments
IMG_0106.jpg

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Winter Hawk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Most cool! I never got into fishing when a lad in Hawaii, didn't start that until I was an adult (well, age wise anyway) in Alaska. But a neighbor down the street was an avid net fisherman, would spend many nights out on the reef with a Coleman lantern and his throw net. He had a screened in drying rack in his carport where the breeze could pass through, to dry his catch. What I remember most of the fish were about the size of that little bugger, all bone. Good eating though. Thanks for the memories!

-Kees-
Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby >>>---DW---> » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:32 am

Good times.
I went looking for Ika (squid) today and still can't find any out this way. Maybe I gotta check Waipahu. I'm on a squid mish. 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Right directly behind me (over the right shoulder) is a floating crane that is docked in our spot called the Banana Patch. Right in front of the red Ship is a papio hole, plenty of nice fish there. It's a place where >>--DW--> and I go when they don't put a crane or ship in the way.

One day....soon...... something will come from there with plenty of size. But for now, we'll settle for the poles bending with Hammerhead sharks and Papio. Course the cold beer is nice too. :applaud:

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to Fishing