flyfishing

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

flyfishing

Postby jaxtix » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I used to have a boat (actually a couple thru the years) but the only thing that interests me is flyfishing by wading. Done some here in Arkansas and out west; ie. New Mexico,Colorado, Yellowstone etc.
"SOY KILLS"
jaxtix
4X4 Bull

Re: flyfishing

Postby Nosight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm

I got rid of the boat a few years ago when I spent more and more time on the banks and wading with the fly rod.

My 3 sons have sence joined my and now we do 90% of our fishing with the fly rod.

Just more relaxing than the spinning gear.

Later..............Buzz
Nosight
4X4 Bull

Postby Canerod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Ditched the boat when I stopped guiding in Florida and had no more need for it. Now, it's strictly flyfishing, preferably with bamboo, either wading moving water or out of a canoe. It's nice not to have to worry about gas, oil, a boat payment, insurance, etc. I figure if I can't or won't paddle myself where I need to go, I don't need to be there.
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
www.highcountryguideservice.com
Canerod
4X4 Bull

Postby jaxtix » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Canerod wrote:Ditched the boat when I stopped guiding in Florida and had no more need for it. Now, it's strictly flyfishing, preferably with bamboo, either wading moving water or out of a canoe. It's nice not to have to worry about gas, oil, a boat payment, insurance, etc. I figure if I can't or won't paddle myself where I need to go, I don't need to be there.

The move from Florida to Maine is an interesting one. Care to expound on that? If it's personal no need to explain, I fully understand and respect that . I always wanted to go to Maine, especially since I had a brother-in-law that was originally from Maine. He has recently passed away, and maybe someday I'll go there and fling an arrow into wilderness in his honor. jaxtix
"SOY KILLS"
jaxtix
4X4 Bull

Postby Canerod » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am

Jaxtix,
Florida was where my wife was nursing when we met. I told her I'd give it a try and two years later, we moved to Virginia, so I could be back in my mountains. I couldn't take the heat and all the people down in WPB. The move to Maine was because the wife was from here originally and when the girls came along, the grandparents pitched a fit, wanting us closer. I had been a guide since I was in college, and Maine is a great place to guide, so here I am.
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Canerod
4X4 Bull

Postby jaxtix » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 am

canerod, Thanks for the story of the Florida to Maine connection. Very interesting, and again I hope I wasn't out of line asking. Having lived all over the U.S. with France, Germany, and Japan, and some places that I survived, I think of that old song by Hank Snow "I've been eveywhere man"..... jaxtix
"SOY KILLS"
jaxtix
4X4 Bull

Postby Canerod » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm

I know how you feel. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the wrinkles. I don't htink it was out of line at all.

I've lived in WV, VA, ME, FL, AL, and was stationed in Greece, Turkey, Germany and ND. Add in guiding in AK, MT, TN, and all of the states I've lived in, and it's a good thing Uncle Sam taught me how to pack and move quickly and easily.
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Canerod
4X4 Bull

Postby born2hunt » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Never had a boat before last year. Use it for Pike, Crappie and bowfishing for Carp. My real passion is flyfishing those high mountain streams for Brookies and Cut-throats. I do the Pike, Crappie and bowfishing while I wait for the snow to melt in the highcountry.
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:47 am

The boats the only way to fish salt so it's here to stay. Halibut and crab are just to tasty to ignore. However for the pure joy of fishing nothing beats grayling and arctic char on a fly rod.
29373734_8514db3181.jpg
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby robert n leeper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:35 am

i love tying my own fleas and getting out in the river to some hot spots. my grand dad taught me the art and ive been hooked since a very early age 4 . i notice the further south i go the more snakes i see in the water. and i never could stand waders so i just suit up with neoprene and my soggies and fish all day long
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com
robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Postby bucksnort101 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

Sold the boat in 2001 as I needed cash. Have been in a boat less than a half dozen since. Most of my fishing lately has been on a frozen sheet of water. Just picked up a Flyrod Combo at Cabelas this winter and hope to get after some trout and panfish soon. Have to get out and practice my casting. Looks like fun, got tired of fighting the crowds of people, jet ski's, etc... I think I'll like the solitute and quiet that fly fishing should bring. Hopefully will be a great stress reliever.
bucksnort101
Spike Bull

Postby RedmanBob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:44 am

Hi new guy here, I love flyfishing. Mostly bluegill and bass here in SC. In my other life I was stationed out in NM, AZ and Ca. I used to love fishing in the moutain streams. Brookies, browns, and rainbows. Now the closest I get to the west is Joh Gierach's books. Best I have read about flyfishing.
RedmanBob
Spike Bull

Postby ms_traditional » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 am

Right there with you RedmanBob, Love to flyfish for blue gills! And they are GOOD eating too!! :D
I just started a couple years ago, but it is fun and just like Traditional bowhunting, very addicting!
Attachments
IMG_0696.JPG
ms_traditional
Spike Bull

Postby BadKarma » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:23 am

I grew up in the Ozark hills of SW Missouri, so yeah, I was a redneck country boy from the farm, but my Grandpa was a dedicated flyfisherman. He got ahold of me for a summer when I was about 6 and introduced me to flyfishing and I was forever hooked. Picture a young'un in cutoff overalls, no shirt, Cat Diesel hat and a 8' bamboo flyrod catching bass and 'gills in the creek!!!!

Now I'm 47 and wade the creeks with my 6'6" 3 wt and I agree with ms traditional, 'gills are the best eatin in the creek as far as I'm concerned. And once a year I'll go down to Roaring River Park and chase those monster Browns and Rainbows.

If your anywhere close to SW Missouri, ya gotta go to Roaring River State Park, outstanding trout fishing. My office is almost right on the bank of Taneycomo Lake in Branson, MO.
Don't worry about life, you're not going to survive it anyway.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
BadKarma
Spike Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Never could understand why someone would flyfish...;)...mostly wade but a boats great in the right setting...4finger
Attachments
100_3395.jpg
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Postby 4finger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

My youngest son Brady...when he was younger...he hates it too!...4finger
Attachments
office photos 010.jpg
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"
4finger
5X5 Bull

Return to Fishing