gotta canoe....

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

gotta canoe....

Postby Greywolf » Sun May 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Have a canoe, we have limited fresh water here, but we did this one as a fun project, we use to fish alot at the reservoir, but since she started working and college, now it just hangs in the garage.

The start

The finish

You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: gotta canoe....

Postby Olschool » Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 am

Beautiful canoe! My daughter asked if you made the paddles too?
Olschool
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 am

Uhhh, No..... we were so excited that it was getting close to finishing, we forgot about paddles till the wed before the saturday launch, those are from Sports Authority.

Had a couple Hawaiian friends offer to show us how they make curved outrigger style paddle. Made from Koa and Ohia, maybe one day.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Cool canoe 8-)
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Took us bout 2 hours at the lumber yard lookin through all the Red Western Cedar lumber to fine 4,
1 X 10 X 16s that were totally clear of knots.
Then we when back home and started making 1/4 inch wide strips took over 80 pcs to make this canoe.

4 months, and lots of fun times in the cave. Some times I was ready to quit waaaay before she was.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby sharkbaitffd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Great canoe wolf...I'll get some tips from you later for sure. Built a 17' Nomad from the plans from bear mountain and spent weeks just on one or two forms. But it is beautiful...nice work!
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-
sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Postby Jesse Minish » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Nice canoe!
Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:03 pm

One tip I'll give out. go to a medical supply warehouse and get the barrels for syringes,(without the needles) larger the better, use these to put glue in the groove of the strips. sure made it lot less messy.

Best part is the more ya do, the strips get shorter as you go.

This one has a little round in the bottom, for a fun canoe I'd do a flat bottom canoe. lot more stable. be suprise how fast it want's to turn up side down..... Knock on wood never flipped it yet......YET !

It's great for getting back into those tight fishing spots other boats can't get too. if I got 4 inches of water I can get there.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby firewhatfire » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 pm

would really like to do that one of these days. just dont have room enough to keep it in the dry when not working on it. would have to keep tarps and plastic over it ll the time.

how much are plans for one, I wold have to build forms and everything

Phil
firewhatfire
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:42 pm

firewhatfire wrote:would really like to do that one of these days. just dont have room enough to keep it in the dry when not working on it. would have to keep tarps and plastic over it ll the time.

how much are plans for one, I wold have to build forms and everything

Phil

Plans run bout $45.00 takes 2 4X8 X3/4 pcs of birch plywood for all the forms. the strongback is the biggest problem it needs to be 12" X 12" and 2 feet longer than the canoe.(which has to be perfectly level, straight and plumb. The Canoe materials ran bout $500.00 so you can build one for less than a grand.
Machinery wise, takes a jig saw,sander, a table saw and router and table and a $32.00 canoe combination bit, standley staple gun and 2,000 staples And time! How ever long you want to do it. it can be done in as little over a week if you have the time, or over the summer. You'll need to make a steamer for the interior and exterior stems, which is a 4 foot piece of PVC 3 inch pipe or something close to that and a old tea kettle.

Bearmountain in Canada is who I got my plans from. Till you can get the time and materials together I'd suggest you get the book they have about building a canoe, it'll take some pressure off of you, and read it 4-5 times, somethings will not make sense till you start to do them, then it all falls into place.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Here's what the strongback looks like, having room is the key 3 feet on each side and 2 feet on each end.

The plans are half printed, you have to get carbon paper to trace each form. I my first thought was Oh, %&!# half of a canoe.... :rolf:

Then after they are cut you mount them on the strongback, remember the straight level and plumb thing? this is the reason why. your building it upside down.

In case your wondering why the holes in the form. This is the same form you heat bend the inside and outside stems on, both are bent together so they fit perfectly together, this is one of those reading things that made no sense till I did it.

Then.......

Half way...

Then closed..

Lay the fiberglass cloth on, and then do 3 more coats till it's smooth

Once it's dry, pop it off the forms... at this point it weights just #33 deceiving huh?

Remove the rib forms and make a couple craddle forms, sand and smooth the inside and apply cloth inside as well.

Add the trim, seats and your ready to go float, I didn't get any pictures of the trim work,(camera died) all was done with a router and rasps, and attached with Smooth On epoxy

Total finished weight #52.5 easily carried by 2 people and a dream to paddle.

It was a pleasure to be with my daughter during this building process.
She'd say to me, I've never done anything like this I'm not sure I can. It was a great thing to say back to her, me neither, if it get's messed up we will do it again till we get it right.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Backwoods » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Wow... Great stuff Greywolf. I know I get excited any time my kids come out and take an interest in anything I do. Great job.
64" Red Fox Longbow
53# @ 28"

.54 Cal. Lyman Trade rifle.
Backwoods
4X4 Bull

Return to Fishing