It's Getting Closer !

Do you fish from the bank or do you have a rig?

It's Getting Closer !

Postby EDW22 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:51 am

Here in Michigan there are trout rivers that are open all year and many with extended seasons. Now Steelhead fishing is picking up but I look forward to the traditional Trout Season opener which is the last Saturday in April. This year April 25th. Some guys don't go out because of crowds,weather or lack of fly hatches for fly anglers but I always try to make it out because opening day is special. I flyfish and there have been some slow days but since I've been fly fishing never a bad opening day. Opening day for trout in Michigan at one time was the 2nd of the outdoor openers-only rifle deer season was bigger. I've been tying up flies and getting things ready. Looking forward to that first cast & first strike of a new season.
EDW22
"Where there's trout there's hope"
J.Gierach
EDW22
Spike Bull

Re: It's Getting Closer !

Postby troutbum76 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm

i have always fished here where there are no fishin seasons, but in my obsession with fly fishing i have read about season openers and just imagine the feelings you are having must be similar to how i feel near the begining of bow season! i have always wanted to fish for stealhead. you do much of that? you should come down here to arkansas some time and check out the big ole browns we've got , anything under 15 lbs is a dink! ;)
"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll get you another"
troutbum76
Raghorn Bull

Postby EDW22 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:12 pm

I do get the same feeling when our archery season starts on October 1st. Michigan has revised many seasons and kept some streams open all year round but weather up here can keep you inside. I haven't gone after Steelhead in years. A lot do and the runs can be great.
EDW22
J.Gierach
EDW22
Spike Bull

Postby troutbum76 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

since all trout fishing here is tailwater fishing and the winters just don't compare i have often fished right through the winter. much smaller crowds and still good bwo and midges hatches. it is odd experience to step into a trout river with water temps in the high 40's and the water feels warm compared to the 30 degree air temp.
"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll get you another"
troutbum76
Raghorn Bull

Postby EDW22 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:40 am

Saturday finally came so I was off to fish. I live in SE Michigan which is limited in the amount of trout water but there places to go. I drove to small creek in Oakland county about 40 miles from my home. The weather was unseasonably warm-in the mid-80's and the stream was high but fishable.Ealier in the week we had a few snow flakes-then 3 days later temps in 80's. Typical michigan weather. I managed 5 trout ( 2 rainbows & 3 browns ) on streamers. biggest was near 12" .No hogs but a good day for the opener. In the northern areas of the state many anglers awoke to see heavy rains and high winds which disrupted things. About 3 PM a storm front blew through with heavy rain & 60-70 mile an hour winds. That pretty put off the fishing for the day. On my way home there were downed trees & power lines. It's estimated about 150,000 homes & businesses were left without power. Despite that and an earlier spill in the stream :oops: that left me with some bumps & bruises it was a fine day. :)
EDW22
J.Gierach
EDW22
Spike Bull

Return to Fishing