campers

Tent, Camper, Trailer... which one are you?
U.P. Tradition
Spike Bull

campers

Post by U.P. Tradition » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 am

Is there anyone who hunts out of campers. You hafta admit, after a hard day hunting the hard way a hot shower goes a long way! I must admit though, where I hunt a tent would get me farther back.....anyone got a walled tent for sale?

Matt

Dances w/ Beer
Spike Bull

Re: campers

Post by Dances w/ Beer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 am

When I was younger, I hunted out of a tent. Now that I am older, wiser and softer, I hunt out of a trailer. I have a really nice lease and I continue to make improvements on it, however I still enjoy hunting public land from time to time. One of my public places has a full hook-up campsite with in walking distance. The others usually have an RV park/camping area with in 10 miles. And you are right, it is nice to have the comforts of home when you are on these trips.

J

Nosight
4X4 Bull

Post by Nosight » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Wife and I use a Fleetwood pop-up camper. This thing is fully self contained.

The shower at the end of the day is a blessing. King size matterace to sleep on during the night. And the best part is my best hunting partener never complains about being cold with the heater set at 75 degrees.

The plus side when this thing is all closed up its hieght profile is 18 inches below the roof line of the Suberban.

This is the best for us. With her getting Arthrites in the hands and knees we still get out and enjoy the outdoors but still feel like were tenting...

Later...............Buzz
Remember...aim small miss small...... Hoyt Gamemaster 59#@30"

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 pm

I would love to have a pop-up for both family travel and hunting. Anybody using the more 'all-terrain' ones? The units with a higher wheelbase?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Txjourneyman
Spike Bull

Post by Txjourneyman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am

Well, I bought a 1976 model Bethany pop-up this year before deer season. I paid $200 for it and I love the thing. No shower but a sink and microwave give me a warm water wash up. Its seen better days, the canvas leaks and has several tears. Nothing a few tarps won't take care of. I keep it at my hunt club and it is likely to become a permanent fixture out there. I'm thinking of removing all of the canvass and replacing it with 3/8" plywood. I will then have a cabin rather than a camper. It has a window unit A/C, 3 burner stove, small fridge, and gas furnace. I don't use the furnace, I use an electric radiator type heater and that has proven to work quite well. I definately got my $200 worth. I've spent somewhere in the range of 20 nights in it this season.
CVA Grey Wolf .50 percussion
66" Kanga custom longbow 55# at 28"
And a wheelie bow

randy grider
Spike Bull

Post by randy grider » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I use everything from a bivy tent to a family ten,25 ft travel trailer,motel room, my house. Its all good, but to get back in the boonies where elk are, the bivy tent is the requirement.

buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Post by buckwild41 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:28 pm

If you get a chance check out this guys homemade rig. There are many more photos of the build along, He did one heck of a job.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=730241_

I'm still tenting it but I starting to believe I'm the last one in the group. There were rumors around the fire during the last few week long camps, of the need for a trailer... I'm trying to hold out just a bit longer.....
PS. Although ina tent (BIg tent) we have a shower tent and a wood stove so it not completely tuffin it.
Attachments
user44976_pic5160_1217639725.jpg

>>>---WW---->
4X4 Bull

Post by >>>---WW----> » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Tradrag: Check with Elknut. I know he has one of those high wheelbase popups. I have seen it. All kinds of room and has the rack on the front that is big enough for a 4-wheeler or extra supplies. I'm sure he would be willing to share his views on it.

Personally, I have a 19 foot hard side camper. Man, that shower is nice. I spent an entire month in it a few years ago on an elk hunt here in Colorado. Refridgerator, stove with oven, queen size bed, even had TV reception. I even had ice cream and popcicles in the freezer. No way would I trade that for a tent.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm

>>>---WW----> wrote:Tradrag: Check with Elknut. I know he has one of those high wheelbase popups. I have seen it. All kinds of room and has the rack on the front that is big enough for a 4-wheeler or extra supplies. I'm sure he would be willing to share his views on it.

Personally, I have a 19 foot hard side camper. Man, that shower is nice. I spent an entire month in it a few years ago on an elk hunt here in Colorado. Refridgerator, stove with oven, queen size bed, even had TV reception. I even had ice cream and popcicles in the freezer. No way would I trade that for a tent.
That is awesome to have your 19' camper there. Ice Cream would go great with my dutch oven cobbler! :)

I'll see if ElkNut will share or show some photos. The places I go for hunting need the ground clearance.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

elknut1
TradRag Sponsor

Post by elknut1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:16 am

WW, is correct, my son & I do have a Jayco one. It's one in realtree camo I believe? It's 12'-14' not real sure about that part either! (grin) We've hauled it all over & hunted out of it for several years now. These things are very comfortable & tough. It does carry a 4-wheeler up front or whatever you'd like. It comes standard with built in ramps so it's very easy for off & on access. It takes 15 min to put up or take down, I've done it by myself several times. This thing is so comfortable it's like cheating! (grin) It has a heater, CD/radio player, refrigerator, outside shower, both hot & cold water & works great! Sink, stove for cooking inside or out. Huge beds & lots of storage & cabinets. It pulls like a dream, a little pickup could handle it. I'll see about a photo? Oh, we opted for the one without an inside bathroom/shower, they come either way but takes some of your space up inside.

We've done the wall tent hunts as well for the last 19 years, we had 3 of them, down to 2 right now, we use the camper for quickness & comfort.

ElkNut1
http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

elknut1
TradRag Sponsor

Post by elknut1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Here's a photo of the tent trailer at camp!

ElkNut1
Attachments
tent trailer 3.jpg
http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:52 pm

when i was a very young man i practically lived out of an apache mesa pop up camper. my dad sold it on a whim and boy was i upset. i loved that camper. now i figure dad knew i was upset so he gave me a camper shell for the back of my pickup truck a few years ago. he said "The rest is up to you..." well i rigged it up, put a sleeping area made it comfortable, with all my gear in a storage bin , and have used it when i camp/ hunt in the fall and spring. i stay warm, but i have a problem with condensation dropping on me in the middle of the night due to its aluminum skin , but most of the time i sleep like a bear with little interuption. i carry a tent and a bedroll in case i decide its just too too nice to not be out. a friend of mine has asked about my sweet setup and is looking for a camper shell for his truck so he can imitate my success. i cant figure out how to post a picture of it here...i d like to post pics here but havent figured it out yet...
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

BowHuntingFool
4X4 Bull

Post by BowHuntingFool » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey Robert, I would love to see the pics of your set up!
>>>---Joe---->

WhisperStik VoodooStik 58", 50#
Montana Longbow 64", 50#
Mohawk Longbow 64", 52#
Lyman .54 Deerstalker Flintlock
Lyman .50 GPR Flintlock

Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
NRA Member

rtherber
Spike Bull

Post by rtherber » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:33 pm

I ended up with a vintage 16 ft. Airstream "Bambi" that was bought new in 1963 by my aunt and uncle. They used it all over and eventually after they passed away it was parked at my father's house. No one in the family camped but me so I bought it and have been restoring it(sort of). I was going to take it out to CO this Fall but a mixup in communication between the local storage place there caused me to decide to leave it home and take the wall tent again. I did use the Bambi at a nearby trad shoot for a week(TN CLASSIC). I got there early and hung around the week of the shoot. It worked out good since we had some tornado weather in the general area. The ones staying in tents had a rather bumpy ride that night.

rtherber
Spike Bull

Post by rtherber » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm trying to figure out this pic thing-bear with me.
Attachments
Bambi 026.jpg

rtherber
Spike Bull

Post by rtherber » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm

It has the self contained bathroom with shower. I reupholstered the inside in Advantage camo/OD trim.
Attachments
Bambi 024.jpg

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

rtherber, Sweet! Nice looking remodel. Thanks for sharing.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

thickice
Spike Bull

Post by thickice » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

Here's mine, no shower, but does have a porta-potty, good wood stove.

Wapiti Hunter
Spike Bull

Post by Wapiti Hunter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Here's a picture of my pop-up out on a hunting trip here in Colorado. Ours is a big one with a shower, toilet, two king beds, and a dinette that folds into another king.

I "flipped" the axle, adding about 4" or 5" more ground clearance, making it much easier to navigate rougher Forest Service roads and logging roads in the mountains. It makes a great hunting camp or base camp.

Mike

buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Post by buckwild41 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:30 am

Hey Thickice, cool set up. Have any photos of the inside?

Broken Arrow 1
Spike Bull

Post by Broken Arrow 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I have two canvas tents that I hunt out of a one man tent for my solo adventures and a 4-5 man tent for group hunts.
Never forget those who came before us. Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters its how you hunt the animal

thickice
Spike Bull

Post by thickice » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:11 am

buckwild, sorry about the delay, my hard drive fried and I lost all my pictures and bookmarks. The wagon itself was made by Idaho Sheep Camps, here's his site: http://idahosheepcamp.com/home

surveyor527
Spike Bull

Post by surveyor527 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:40 pm

My hunting partner & I are both on the high side of 50, and even though we hunt with flintlocks & recurves the rough nights are behind us. Down my way, we hunt for the little Sika deer on a coastal barrier island with a Federal park and good hunting, and the campsites are $16 a night. 2 or three nights my camper runs total propane, longer than that we bust out the big Coleman generator.
Up his way we hunt from his house in South Central PA or either of his permanent camps in Pike Co. (Pocono Mountains) or Grindstone Maine.
Forget about the danger......think of the fun!

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:58 pm

here is a picture of my setup with my new used truck .
27290004.jpg
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

oogaboogachief1
Spike Bull

Post by oogaboogachief1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:28 am

Here is out Scotty Trailer on the KS OK borderline. Still no deer with the sticks, just one meat deer with black powder thanks to Debbie. Mike Smyth

elkslayer4x5
4X4 Bull

Post by elkslayer4x5 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I built my camper from two campers I salvaged parts from. Had a long bed Ford Ranger, and built it to fit, sleeps two comfortably. Was an easy build, only tools I used were a skill saw, saber saw, drill, handsaw, screwgun, and a palm sander.Has a 1/4"lywood outer under the aluminum siding, and a 3/16 mahogney interior, is wired for 110 AC and 12 V DC, 40 gal water tank with a 12 V water pump, double stainless sink, and a 3 burner propane stove with oven. It has internal turnbolt tie downs on each corner, accessed thru small doors, and providing more storage.