Tents

Tent, Camper, Trailer... which one are you?

Tents

Postby born2hunt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Last year I only had an old 8'X12' Coleman tent that leaked and had frayed bug screen. I'd been eyeballing that 12'X12' Alaknak tent from Cabelas for some time so I decided to pry my wallet apart and get it. I got the stove kit with it too. Nice tent. Used it on fishing trips this summer and loved it for horse packing.

Then it happened, my uncle called and wondered if I wanted my grandpa's old 10'X12' wall tent. I always wanted two tents for elk camp (cook tent and sleeping tent with a tarp between them) so I said yes. Then my dad called and said that because of his heart condition, he wasn't going to use his new 12'X14' wall tent and stove anymore and did I want it. I wasn't about to turn that down.

So, now I have three tents. Four with the old Coleman. Two, Alaknak and grandpa's, have been packed in to elk camp already. Used my dad's this last weekend while truck camping/hunting, and the old Coleman is sitting in storage (repaired). Guess when it rains, it pours. ;)

I have a cab-over for the pickup, but it always seems too cramped for me. I prefer the tents with stoves and really like having two tents. I pack with horses, so weight/bulk isn't too much of an issue. I have used dome tents while backpacking but we always took an extra light weight tarp along to cover the tent and give us an awning too.

What do you guys use for hunting?
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Re: Tents

Postby Canerod » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Depends on the situation. I have 5, everything from a 3# one-man to a 12x18 modified dome. Don't have a wall tent yet, but it's definitely on my short list.
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
www.highcountryguideservice.com
Canerod
4X4 Bull

Postby born2hunt » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Here is the Alaknak and Grandpa's tent at my elk camp. I have a tarp I drape between the two for my own Mountain Shangri-la.
Attachments
100_1974.JPG
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby TradGirl » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 am

Very nice. Heck of a setup you have there with the two tents. What a nice place wake up to in the mornings with that view.
just trying to keep it in the 10 ring ;)
TradGirl
4X4 Bull

Postby hoot » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:32 pm

man , i hate it that you have to ruff it :shock: . me i get to sleep in the back of my truck when i travel to hunt :D . but i dont mind . it keeps the riff raff out :lol: . hoot
all wooden bows with one string , not a basterd in the bunch.
hoot
Spike Bull

Postby born2hunt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Spent many nights in the back of a pickup too. :D A friend of mine does that all the time and has devised some sort of a tent for it that is even better than the commercial ones.

If it were totally up to me (read, My wife and daughter say no), I'd just throw a tarp over myself in rainy weather and sleep under the stars in clear weather. In fact, I did sleep under the stars when I set the tents up. It was a very clear night and if you've ever seen how bright the stars are at 11,000', then you know how nice that was. I did feel a little foolish sleeping outside of two perfectly good tents I had put some effort into erecting though. :roll:
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Trent » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 pm

I have the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4 man tent. I don't do any hike ins. I kinda wish I had gotten the 6 man now. I camped by myself a couple of weekends ago. With me and all my hunting stuff inside, it was pretty full.
Trent
Spike Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Picked up a military GP small several years ago and love it. Use an old army wood stove, GI cots and it's like home. Not as pretty as the Cabela's Wall tents and the other fancy ones but gets the job done.. and much cheaper..

PS new here, seem like a nice place and super easy to post with pic...
Attachments
224_2457.JPG
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby born2hunt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 am

Buckwild41, Nice tent! I was looking at those before I bought the Alaknak. My ONLY problem was the weight, or what they listed the weight (100+). It does look like it would be a great basecamp tent and would last forever.

Ken
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:16 am

Ken, yeah it's pretty heavy tent with poles is roughly 150#. The places I hunt we are able to get in with ATV so packing isn't a big deal. Like I said it ain't pretty but the old military stuff works... Although rather junky after a week it does a pretty good job for three of us.
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby TradRag » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:06 am

buckwild41, Good looking setup you have there. I grew up hunting out of those and since I was always the youngest (rookie) I had the job of crawling under and finding the center pole hole and then attempt to help lift. Sometimes we would put two together and sleep in one and cook and and store gear in the other. I have to agree about the weight and having to roll/fold one up after the rain is no joy either.

Is that arrow in near the center pole symbolic?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Okie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:28 am

Me and the guys I elk hunt with bought a GP medium (16' x 32')years ago and man was that thing heavy (400+lbs). :shock: We used it for 10 - 12 years and then bought a custom made 16 x 20 wall tent. Even though the military tents are tough, I wounldn't trade my outfitter tent for two of them. It only weighs like 125lbs. I don't have access to pics on this computer. If I remember tonight I'll post some.

John
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby buckwild41 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:45 pm

John, I lived in a GP med for several months back in the late 80s and yes they are REALLY heavy. I couldn't swing the price of the newer wall tents so settled for a old military surplus. Not real pretty but gets the job done most of the time... Post some pic if you get them...

About the arrow sticking in the ground near the center pole? Yeah, very symbolic it means He who thinks 15 but really 20 buys many arrows"

Translated: I didn't think he was that far, these arrows break every time on these dang rocks. LOL LOL :lol:
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby TradRag » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:48 pm

buckwild41 wrote:About the arrow sticking in the ground near the center pole? Yeah, very symbolic it means He who thinks 15 but really 20 buys many arrows"

Translated: I didn't think he was that far, these arrows break every time on these dang rocks. LOL LOL :lol:

:lol: NICE. I think we have all been there. Thanks for sharing.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby born2hunt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Here's my wife cooking in my dad's wall tent. It was a downpour outside for the entire Labor Day weekend so I didn't get many pics of this tent yet. It was cozy, comfy and dry though.
Attachments
100_1936.JPG
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:54 am

Born2hunt.. Is that a clothes rack on the right side? I built PVC racks that we zip tie to the foot of each bunk. A simple three pieces pipe deal that slides together. Everyone brings hangers with them and it allows you to hang your clothing. Super handy on those rainy trip like yours.
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby born2hunt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 pm

It's actually one of those soft, hanging shoe racks for a closet. We divy up the cubbies among us and fold our clothes to store them in it. It's also good for those small items that get lost till you break camp, but in the shoe hanger, they're easy to find. In the picture you can see the pipe ridgepole and uprights. The shoe rack hangs nicely from the pipe. We run an additional rope or pole, under the ridgepole to hang wet clothes and the lantern from.

I got two of these shoe organizers from Wally World for something like $3 each. They pack easy and are light but really help to keep the tent organized and our clothes off the floor/ground. In the Alaknak, I have some of those hangers for the centerpole that we hang everything on, including the "closet". They would probably work on the centerpole of your GP too. The one pictured is from Cabelas but I made my own out of 3/16" oxy/acet welding rod and spray painted with some of that rubber paint. They work great and you can put them at whatever height you want.

Ken
Attachments
pole_hanger.jpg
pole_hanger.jpg (2.2 KiB) Viewed 19916 times
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Ken,,, It's always a challenge trying to stay somewhat organized with limited space and too much gear. After several years and pretty much the same group of guys we have made considerable improvement. Adding the PVC closet racks really helps with jackets, wet clothes, bow, etc... Everyone uses those plastic storage boxes which slide under your bunk which helps with the small stuff. The stove stand :lol: now that one of those creations that sounds pretty redneck but works like a champ. When I heard Pop had made a new stove stand from a walker he found on trash pile I was worried. It turned out to be one of the best additions and I wouldn't go with out it. He took the walker, added two metal wire shelves from an old refrig and you have it. It is held together with zip ties and two thumb screws so its quick to put to gether. The legs are adjustable which is great for leveling the stove, there's plenty of hooks for hanging pots/pans, utensils, aluminum so really lite and it folds flat when packing out. By design it's super sturdy (It's a walker duh!) and I figure when I get too old I can just add the tennis balls and I'm good to go..
Attachments
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby Okie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Buckwild, you need to patent that walker idea. I may use it though before you do.

John
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby buckwild41 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:23 pm

John, If you need any pic let me know. Theres a few modification (simple) I have made that really makes it work nicely. I actually have one of the full scale fold out Coleman Cook Kitchens and after using the walker never pulled it out again. Too heavy, too big, too many parts..
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 pm

A better shot..
Attachments
Picture 027.jpg
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby born2hunt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:28 pm

yeah, you do this stuff enough and come up with some good stuff that works and makes camp more pleasant. I see your kitchen boxes there buckwild. I bet they work great for packing on ATVs. I'm designing and building some boxes to pack on my horses. They'll have shelves and the stove will be integrated into one of them and will open up to form a food prep area. They both will have three legs that pack away too.

My boxes will be similar to these from Wyoming Outdoor
Attachments
27023-th.jpg
27023-th.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 19861 times
Good Huntin' Image
born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Postby Rick P » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:01 am

My old tent was ripped to shreds during a early season sheep hunt so my wife Tracy got me a new 2 man, 4 season, Kelty radiant 2. It has preformed beautifully and kept me very comfy on a solo November Goat hunt in -20 degree temps. I hunt "Walk in only areas" for anywhere from 3-10 days. Here's a pic of me and my son checking it out when we first got it.
2782744073_40eff4901c.jpg
Just this Alaskans Opinion
Rick P
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm

I have a small utility trailer that I made and put two storage boxes in it. One with a lid that will open outward and rest on adjustable legs. Worked pretty good and was easy to pack all my stuff in.

If I am going to be more than just a couple of days (I spend at least five days at OJAM) I now use this. This is my 16' Tipi and it is the most comfortable camping that I have ever done.

Dennis
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby buckwild41 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Sweet looking tipi Do you put heat in it?
buckwild41
Raghorn Bull

Postby BowHuntingFool » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Pretty cool tents guys, I'm in the market for a new one this year. Looking into a Kodiak Canvas tent. Seems well built!
>>>---Joe---->

WhisperStik VoodooStik 58", 50#
Montana Longbow 64", 50#
Mohawk Longbow 64", 52#
Lyman .54 Deerstalker Flintlock
Lyman .50 GPR Flintlock

Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
NRA Member
BowHuntingFool
4X4 Bull

Postby Aeronut » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 am

Buckwild41,

I have tried a couple of times to use a fire pit but haven't mastered the technique of not choking to death on the smoke yet. I need to do some more trials with the smoke flap angles and such. My big fear is a stray spark catching everything on fire.

I have used it mainly at OJAM (no winter camp yet) and just used a small propane heater a few times. The lantern is usually enoough to keep it warm enough for me. It is suprisingly warmer than a regular tent even without the heater. The liner helps to keep it from losing heat.

Dennis
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby rtherber » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:54 pm

I hunt solo out West and stay for awhile so I own two wall tents that are sized so I can get them erected by myself without much problem. I've been using the one with the stove jack for the last several years but haven't needed the wood stove the last three. I extend the fly past the front of the tent and use that area for my kitchen. Bears have been a problem in the years I have hunted the San Juans and all cooking has been outdoors. I went out early this year and moved around the state flyfishing. The "Kamprite" tentcot was my shelter for the entire month before elk archery season and it worked flawlessly. I had the "oversize" model-it shed sleet,hard rains, and one or two hail storms without any leaking inside. I stretched a cheap tarp out from the truck topper and used the tailgate for cooking off of.
Attachments
base camp.JPG
rtherber
Spike Bull

Postby rtherber » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 pm

rtherber
Spike Bull

Postby Elksong » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Just got this last year. 18' er, lots of room and is MUCH simplier to put up than people think. The poles are kind of a pain to get hauled around, but once your there and set-up, it is perfect!
Attachments
SHOOT EAGLES 004.JPG
Elksong
Spike Bull

Next

Return to Camping