New Pack Test

Tent, Camper, Trailer... which one are you?

New Pack Test

Postby Swampman » Sat May 29, 2010 8:58 pm

I wanted to test my new pack today so I put in 12 miles in 4 hours to see how she rode. I had about 25lbs of gear in it and it worked great. Here's the trail.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/panhandlewest/trails/blackwater_juniper_creek.htm

Swampman
4X4 Bull

Re: New Pack Test

Postby TradRag » Sun May 30, 2010 9:58 am

Very nice! Around 4000cu/in? I just bought a Mystery Ranch 6500 that I will 'test-driving' in three weeks on a 5 day backpacking trip with some high school seniors. I will she how she handles up at 13,000/ft. I am hoping it all works out and she will be ready for elk season.. :mrgreen:

Do you use hydration bladders at all? I saw your two bottles.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Swampman » Sun May 30, 2010 11:08 am

I haven't tried the bladders but I probably need to. They are lighter I imagine and I think you're more prone to drink when you need to, instead of waiting for a stop. I do like being able to boil water or make tea in the bottles.

It is 4000 cubic inches.
Swampman
4X4 Bull

Postby wapiti wacker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

I would really like to hear how you like that pack.I just bought a osprey kestral 48 I will be testing shortly,I needed a smaller pack for 2 to 3 day excursions.The old R.E.I. newstar I have had for years is a great pack but the newer 4000 to 6000ci packs are so much lighter and more versitile than the old one,besides I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be hauling 6000 worth of stuff! :shock:
wapiti wacker
Spike Bull

Postby Swampman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

I really like it. It's all I need for the trips I do.
Swampman
4X4 Bull

Postby WV Forester » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:50 pm

This is an older thread but I am trying to get acquianted with this site and came upon this thread. I have to give my opinions because I have spent major $ and time trying to find what suits me and my intended use.

I went on the hunt for a good day pack that had capabilities to pack meat. I often hunt in areas that dragging deer are just not an option anymore. I'm talking 4-7 miles or a 2 mile drag gaining 1500-2000 feet back to camp. I have drug so many in the past but I'm getting older and the after math of chemo has changed what used to be reality. So several years ago I went on the hunt for an alternative. I have used quite a few now, and this is what I found. Alps Outdoors has a new line of hunting packs. Most are geared to the deer hunter with their backpack styling and no frame. But one is called the Traverse. It has an adjustable internal frame, breast straps that adjust up and down, shoulder harnes that are to be envied, waistbelt heavily padded and adjustable, it has top load straps that allows you to pull the pack higher up when loaded to get the weight off your shoulders. It has it all.

The pack is 3300 ci, has a fold out game hauler, rain fly, weapons pouch, etc... It will easily carry a fully deboned deer while carrying all you other gear. It has plenty of pockets but not overly designed, a seperate spotting scope pocket. It is compact, doesn't ride up over your head to snag on the brush and is behind your profile to make hunting out of it practical. So what this pack does is allow you to carry a litre or two of water, food, clothes, bino's, etc..., then bring your deer out in one trip. It does all of this flawlessly and oh so comfortable. It is the first pack I have ever worn that doesn't scream at me to get it off my back when I stop for a break or hunker down to watch. And it does with a limetime warranty, and for $!00! That's right, $100! Delivered to your door!

Guys, I used Nimrod's, badlands, and many others trying to find what I was looking for. All are inferior to this one all around. Sure, this one is a little heavier than the Nimrod wilderness, but it carries weight so much better. As far as the badlands, I just don't see the advantages to paying money for something that is all brand purchase. And like I said, it carried the weight better. I intend to use this pack out west hauling elk out with. It really is the bombdigity. If you are looking for a pack to day hunt out of, but want the ability to haul your prize in, give this thing a look. It even has a one year refund return if you don't like it. Just an awesome designed, built pack with the warranty to back it up, all for $100 delivered to your door. Who says you gotta spend a truck payment to get a good pack. God Bless
WV Forester
Spike Bull

Postby WV Forester » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I wanted to say this, if you are looking for a pack to back pack hunt out of, you owe it to yourself to check out the ILBE USMC molle pack. It is rated for loads up to 120 pounds, even though that isn't important for our uses, 4500 ci, light, bombproof, and very, very comfortable and well built. I just bought one delivered for less than $70 from the auction site. It is the best designed, built pack I have ever wore. And it has the ability to be a day hunter/meat hauler if desired, with all the compreshion straps. However, I intend to use it as a Backpack hunting on three-four day pack hunts. Fully compressed it has a very small profile. It is light considerning it's intended purpose and bombproof construction. Stock it is in the 7-8 pound range but, I have a friend who cut excess webbing, straps, bladder cover, and both weapons pockets and trimmed it to under 5 pounds. It really is in my opinion, the pinnacle of mountaineering packs in this form, just a lot tougher. What's best is it is made in the good ole USA. There used to be a day when the government issued suitable gear that was designed for cost and purpose, so military issue gear was tough, but had it's limitations, usually comfort. That is no longer the case, and the Gen I or Gen II USMC ILBE packs are proof of that. God Bless
WV Forester
Spike Bull

Return to Camping