lightweight camps?

Tent, Camper, Trailer... which one are you?
iacornfed
Spike Bull

lightweight camps?

Post by iacornfed » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

I see a lot of photos of what I would call heavy base camps but does anyone have photos of their lightweight backpacking setups? I am always looking for ideas. I like a tent of some sort, I have considered a tarp but I do not want to be ate alive by mosquitoes!

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: lightweight camps?

Post by Greywolf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 am

Here is going to be my next purchase this is the middle size The small version is 10ft and $100.00 cheaper it packs into a 38X7X8 bag. can't get much more compact for the room than that.

You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Post by Newkirk Jerry » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 am

That is a pretty nice looking tent there Greywolf! Looks roomy.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm half way there, be glad to get back to work. next week I hope. it's little slow in the works but, it'll happen, when I get it and set up I'll post some pics.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Here are my two; 1) base camp is a Cabelas Outfitter Lodge 10x10 that is perfect for two. Comes in at 16 pounds but if you have a buddy give him the poles and stakes to carry and split the weight. 2) is my Kelty Noah 12x12 tarp (i think that the size) that we use to spike out of the Outback Lodge and comes in at 2 lbs.
photo.jpg
Cabelas Outback Lodge 10x10
IMG_1728.JPG
Kelty Noah
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Post by Newkirk Jerry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm going to attempt to post some pics so bear with me. I don't think I'm sized right but here we go.
Attachments
1284.JPG

Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Post by Newkirk Jerry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Holy cow that freaking worked!! Woo hoo! Here's the profile. I got a couple of these from Sportsman's Guide last year and they worked great but the poles are crap. I sold mine to a friend and ordered me another one. My last one is for a Ford Ranger (WHAT!) and doesn't fit very well but it functions good enough for me.
Attachments
1285.JPG

iacornfed
Spike Bull

Post by iacornfed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Tradrag, Is that a photo of your tent setup at OJAM this year? I liked the look of that tent, it appeared to be well built. Newkirk, I like the concept of that tent but I no long use a truck for hunting. I am looking for one I can carry and set up in the wilderness.I have a coleman Hooligan 3 that I purchased last year and I like it so far. I will post a photo when I figure out how! Greywolf I like that tent also but is a lot bigger than I need.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

iacornfed wrote: Greywolf I like that tent also but is a lot bigger than I need.
That's the middle size tent pictured. the little one is less than 10 feet and weighs #32 and packs into a 6"X7"X42" bags, if memory serves, but don't count on it. but the nubers are real close.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 pm

iacornfed wrote:Tradrag, Is that a photo of your tent setup at OJAM this year? I liked the look of that tent, it appeared to be well built. Newkirk, I like the concept of that tent but I no long use a truck for hunting. I am looking for one I can carry and set up in the wilderness.I have a coleman Hooligan 3 that I purchased last year and I like it so far. I will post a photo when I figure out how! Greywolf I like that tent also but is a lot bigger than I need.
It is! In fact it is in the same place you saw it and that was the next day when the snow hit. It went from 70+ degrees to a few inches of snow. The tent worked out wonderfully.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Tue May 11, 2010 1:59 pm

This is NOT my lightweight camping setup, lol but when my boys come along, it's the best choice!...Cabelas 12x12 Alaknak...4finger
Attachments
00small47743105.jpg
100_4955.jpg
Brady bought his own tent last year...said something about my SNORING! lol...4finger
100_5577.jpg
This works when it doesn't rain :)...4finger
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm

OK serious now, has anyone just used a Bivy sack w/your sleeping bag and called it Good? I've got a Mtn Goat hunt this fall and am worried about weight of a tent, but also the avaiblility of level ground to pitch one, any experience folks?...4finger
Attachments
100_3639.jpg
"It only takes 1 minute to make a lifetime memory...How much time are your kids worth?"

forrest
Spike Bull

Post by forrest » Sat May 15, 2010 6:18 pm

When younger I would use a 6lb bag and a tarp as a ground cloth it was good to -20, add a wool blanket easy -35

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Sat May 15, 2010 7:27 pm

4finger, many times I have just slept in a bag with no bivy because Uncle Sam said so. ;) last year I spent a week at 10,500-12,800/ft with just my bag, sleeping pad (folding thermal-rest), and a Kelty Noah tarp ( weighs less than 2 lbs.). I'll be using this same setup again this year. I just like the little extra overhead protection for both myself and gear incase of weather or You and your hunting partner.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Sun May 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks Bryan, I used the bivy this weekend on a trip with two of my sons, I can see the need for taking another type of shelter along with the bivy for keeping gear out of the weather, I've thought about the Noah tarps but for the size of the footprint of it I think I'll probably go with a lightweight tent w/vestibule. Thanks for your input/thoughts on it. I think I'll use the bivy on some more scouting/camping trips this summer. Thanks again...4finger
Attachments
canyon 048.jpg
canyon 051.jpg
Sons Brady & Forrest decided to haul their own...
canyon 064.jpg
Good to be out...even if it's still a bit snowy...

Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Post by Newkirk Jerry » Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm ready for some goat pic's this fall 4! Good luck!

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks Jerry...4finger

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Thu May 20, 2010 6:38 pm

4finger wrote:OK serious now, has anyone just used a Bivy sack w/your sleeping bag and called it Good? I've got a Mtn Goat hunt this fall and am worried about weight of a tent, but also the avaiblility of level ground to pitch one, any experience folks?...4finger
Spent lots of nights in the woods with just a tarp wrapped around my sleeping bag. Love being out under the stars........I sleep better.

Ken

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Where are you huntin goats? That Noahs Tarp like Tradrag has would be my choice on a goat hunt.

Ken
Good Huntin' Image

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Afternoon Ken, I drew a Goat tag here in Utah...once in a lifetime hit or miss :) I'm planning on making quite a few scouting trips when the snow comes off, so I'll be able to get a better feel for what will work best, I like the Noah's and what I've read about them, just waiting to see how much/type of good sleeping ground there is up on the mountain. Personally think a bivy would work the best if sleeping on a knife ridge in the wind but then if there's trees a tarp or ultralite tent might be best, will have to wait a bit to know...Thanks for the input...4finger

iacornfed
Spike Bull

Post by iacornfed » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:25 pm

4finger I see you posted some photos of a hooligan 3 tent. That looks like the one I own. My wife and I use that on our motorcycle camping outings. We will be using it June 12 in Iowa. So far I am liking it. I am considering using a Army poncho and liner as a bivy bag. I used that in the Army when I was too lazy to carry a sleeping bag and my rain gear both! It worked well then, so I suppose it would still work OK.

wapiti wacker
Spike Bull

Post by wapiti wacker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm

I use my kelty noahs tarp,my therma rest and a small mini dome mosquito net that fits over my head,shouldres and chest works great light weight.

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Ahhh, Goat huntin. Love it.
Attachments
100_3948.JPG
100_3951.JPG
Some of the prettiest country on God's earth.
Good Huntin' Image

4finger
5X5 Bull

Post by 4finger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Ken, I agree on Goat country. Used a Bivy on my intial scouting trip and will probably stick with that and a tarp, as flat ground is severly lacking, here's a view from my hotel room, Good luck on your hunt along with everybody else:)...4finger
Attachments
Goat scout 1 124.jpg
Goat scout 1 069.jpg

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:38 pm

i went to wally werld and got an ozark trails set up for one person for 20 some bucks. its comfortable small and lightweight. and no bugs..and it comes in a little carry on that you can tie to the backpack under yer bedroll , :campfire: :archer2: it goes up in five minutes and back down in three minutes and uses those little alunumum stakes that cost next to nothing. i
also carry a 12 by 12 tarp in case the rain starts to blow a little for extra ground cover. my sleeping bag weighs more than the tent..if that aint something werth the time and trubble
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

scoutmaster
Spike Bull

Post by scoutmaster » Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 pm

I spend most of the nights camping when my scout troop goes backpacking laying on top of my bag with a tarp handy in case it rains. When it's cold, I lay out my tarp, lay the bag on top of it, and roll up like a bear burrito.

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Tue May 20, 2014 12:04 am

Ive got several setups.... but the lightest is a combo of my triple bag / bivy bag / hammock / tarp - it's good for most late spring summer and early fall trips even been in snow a time or two......

I don't rave about equipment too often but -

This is the best bag on the planet, no BS, no other to compare! Ain't inexpensive but worth every cent! http://warmlite.com/sleeping-bags
ultra warm, ultra convertible, and last a lifetime - have taken this bag from 110 in the shade to -75. Been from Death Valley in the summer to the top of the Rockies @14,000+ in January, and in weather from raging ice storms,and under 5 feet of fresh snow, to blast furnace wind and have been able to find a good nights rest! Mine was custom made for me 38 years ago and it is still as comfortable as ever. Built in self inflating air mattress and all!

I'll see if I can find some photos....
Here is one of the tarps and hammocks - but you can't really see the bag(s) -
IMG-20120624-00535.jpg
Last edited by hawkthrower on Tue May 27, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]

pab1
Spike Bull

Post by pab1 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:47 pm

I enjoy bivy hunting wilderness areas. I prefer it to hunting out of a camp since you don't waste time and energy hiking back and forth every morning and evening. You hunt all day and sleep near where you want to hunt in the morning. You do carry a little more weight in your pack than you would just carrying a day pack, but it doesn't use as much energy since you're not doing that to and from camp hike. Here is a pic from a few years back in the Vasquez Peak Wilderness in Colorado. I carry a small sheet of plastic to cover my pack and arrow fletching on rainy days. Snow and rain can be a little annoying sleeping this way. It only takes a couple minutes to set up camp in the evening and break in down in the morning. I'm back in grizzly country now and its kind of funny the sense of security a tent gives you. It offers absolutely no protection but you feel less exposed to danger than in a bivy sack. :lol:

hawkthrower
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by hawkthrower » Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 pm

forgot to say - double click the image I posted above to pop it out to full screen so you can see the setup a little better...... :D
[size=85]"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher[/size]

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Thu May 29, 2014 2:17 pm

So the sheep just happened to wander in while you had your camera set up? Or are those decoys? :lol:

~Kees~