who does DIY hunts

Share your Elk Hunting experiences.
beaver#1
Spike Bull
who does DIY hunts

Post by beaver#1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 pm

hello all, my first post here. i live in texas and im planning to do a DIY hunt in 2011 or 2012. im wanting to go to a state where they will have OTC tags . planning on backpacking in. need some advice, info, suggestions from yall that do it alot.
thanks everyone
DUSTIN PARKER

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: who does DIY hunts

Post by TradRag » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Elk? Every year (the last 5) I do a DIY Colorado OTC hunt.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

beaver#1
Spike Bull

Post by beaver#1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:03 pm

yes for ellk. i have heard good thing about colorado and have looked at some of the websites about their hunting lands. almost so much info that its over whelming. i really dont even know where to start.
dustin parker

Rick P
4X4 Bull

Post by Rick P » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:15 am

I have never paid a guide or outfitter. How can I help?
Just this Alaskans Opinion

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 am

Rick P wrote:I have never paid a guide or outfitter. How can I help?
Same here... are you looking at Colorado? This is the only state I have Elk hunted.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Hooked
5X5 Bull

Post by Hooked » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 am

Gone to Colorado twice. What kind of info are you looking for?

Backwoods
4X4 Bull

Post by Backwoods » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 am

Me and three of my buddies did the Colorado hunt. If you haven't, you will need the Texas hunter's education course (Required by Colorado). We had an idea in advance of where we were going to hunt. We drove to Pagosa Springs, bought our license, drove up to 8500 ft on public land and had 10 days of the best hunting experience I have ever encountered. All of us had a chance to take a cow but for one reason or another, messed it up. :roll:
64" Red Fox Longbow
53# @ 28"

.54 Cal. Lyman Trade rifle.

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I live in Washington State and have never been able to afford to go out of state for elk, but Colorado would be my choice if I was going to, just because of numbers of elk.
But I have always been able to find them here in Washington, so I will continue to chase them here.
unlimited OTC tags.

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:16 pm

My hubby is in the middle of climbing all 54 mountains in Colorado that are over 14,000'. We are talking that this year I will go out with him and hunt while he summits. Many of the mountains are on public land. I just need to do my research on OTC areas. Anyone know of a good web-site for this? What are we looking at for $$ for an OTC hunt? What smaller game is available to hunt as well?
Thanks
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Ladyhawk,
This is Colorado's DNR site. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting. It's been really helpful. For elk a cow tag is about $250, and bulls are $546. I also bought a Colorado atlas and gazetter which is invaluble for roads, and getting an overall idea of the boundaries for the GMU's. Also you'll need a habitat stamp which is 5 to 10 dollars a year, or lifetime for 200. You could get into mule deer as well. Or sheep if your pockets run deep (over 1500). Still waiting to be drawn for my tag...but good luck and hope this helps.
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

beaver#1
Spike Bull

Post by beaver#1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Most likely i will going to colorado. the main info i was wnating to here is what equipment do yall take, how do you carrry water. are there any strreams or lakes to cacth fish. all the other stuff i like area to hunt and such i do not expect yall to tell me. i wouldnt want to crowd yalls hunting spots.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm

how do you carrry water
Get a pack with a hydration bladder (100oz). I also carry a Katadyn Hiker Pro which has an attachment that will backfill my bladder via the hose without having to pull the bladder and fill.

I'll work on my list for you in a bit and I am sure there are others who will post.
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

beaver#1
Spike Bull

Post by beaver#1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:49 pm

thanks you much tradrag. i have a pack that has one i think hold 2 liters. one other question i thought of is- say if you hike in 5 miles and make camp. you kill an elk. what would be the best prosess in packing it out.

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Mike Mitten has a book out about solo DIY bowhunts. He has a ton of info in it. Even lists on what to pack. The book is sold through "Brothers of the Bow" website. Not sure on a link, maybe google it. Well worth the $$.
LH
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Mike Mitten has a book out about solo DIY bowhunts. He has a ton of info in it. Even lists on what to pack. The book is sold through "Brothers of the Bow" website. Not sure on a link, maybe google it. Well worth the $$.
LH
Second that. He is a member here too. You can PM him. mittenm
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

John Cooper
Spike Bull

Post by John Cooper » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm

keep the post coming as i am looking to do a DIY elk hunt in the next year or 2 .......2011 or 2012 .........